wkmac

Jones,

After reading what you posted, I thought you might also enjoy this one that I saw. Kinda makes the same point IMO.

lk0130bd3.jpg

I find it ironic that in the 8 years of Bush with 6 years also with a republican Congress that Rush and many of his talk show hosts gang did little or next to nothing in calling out the trampling of at the very least, fiscal principles on which so-called conservatism is alleged to be based. Now all of a sudden they are on the outs politically and SHA-ZAM!

I'm just not buying the Damascus Road experinece from these guys!

wkmac

The article makes some interesting points especially pertaining to Burke and 18th century thinking. Even the principles of 18th century classical liberalism that was an important underpinning of the founding thinking and thus a foundation to Constitutionalist/Originalist ideals would in no way hold favor among those today who cliam themselves as Constitutionalist/Originalist.

Even what is called liberalism today by name is far removed from it's ancestrial beginnings. The terms Conservative and Liberal are almost meaningless if not meaningless and for that fact so is the term libertarian if one choose to be honest. Even among libertarians there is a wide swing from pure anarchist types to more statist types so all things said, there is no hand full of words that can completely describe the entire political spectrum of this country. What tends to drive terms more than anything else are the leaders of the major political parties and their policies as sometimes reflected in their platforms but even this gets cloudly at times. Bush and the republicans raised the national debt as well as federal spending and gov't growth but this has been the traditional backbone of democrats who are so-called liberals do. The waters of statecraft are IMO completely muddied and you really can't tell who and where the players are anymore.

The terms neo-conservative and neo-liberal in some sense do properly apply as both have actually broken from their traditional core of beliefs of what was once called conservative or liberal (now known using a past tense term of paleo) and have ventured and advocated ideals and policies once in many respects the turf of the opposite political side. This is another reason why I say when you boil it all down, there is no real difference between republicans and democrats and that Washington is it's own machine that one just hops on for the ride. Learn the system and play the game and you come out the otherside not only with power but with wealth to boot.

Our world in many respects is in total chaos right now and little seems to be getting better but no matter which way you look at the problems, the root cause is gov't itself. Makes no difference which party holds the reigns of power, they still in the end screw things up. It might be easy to just sit down and cry watching the American people engage itself in acts of stupidity (voting for the very people who in turn screw things up) but you gotta laugh also. With that, here's some cartoons to laugh at. Hope they bring a smile!
:wink2:

http://www.truthdig.com/cartoon/