1.7 billion in cuts!

vantexan

I didn't say ethanol was the answer if you read my post. I said if " Brazil can be indepenent from foreign oil with ethanol than we can certainly do it with a variety of alternate energy sources." And the clear cutting is not a result of their ethanol production which has been a practice for decades for cattle grazing and other uses. We have the technology and resources to develop new energy sources. Why do you think gas prices continue to rise when demand has been on the decline as vehicles become more efficient. Because they can. Its the only game in town. When that monopoly is torn down then that will change.

Obama has given $90 Billion to green energy companies with no tangible results. Many of those companies still went bankrupt and many were major contributors to his 2008 campaign. You chose to cite Brazil so I just pointed out the obvious. And the obvious is still that there's no viable alternative to oil. Go ahead and develop one, just leave oil alone until you do. The rest of us need reasonably priced fuel.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Obama has given $90 Billion to green energy companies with no tangible results. Many of those companies still went bankrupt and many were major contributors to his 2008 campaign. You chose to cite Brazil so I just pointed out the obvious. And the obvious is still that there's no viable alternative to oil. Go ahead and develop one, just leave oil alone until you do. The rest of us need reasonably priced fuel.
HowStuffWorks "How can algae be converted into biofuel?"

First Algae-Powered Car Attempts to Cross US on 25 Gallons | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

bbsam

Staff member
If it works, great, bring it on. The big question is can enough be produced to meet our needs.

Probably not on its own, but that's where a comprehensive approach comes in. Converging, evolving technologies can do wonders for the energy dilemma.

vantexan

Probably not on its own, but that's where a comprehensive approach comes in. Converging, evolving technologies can do wonders for the energy dilemma.

Did a little digging and found a Forbes article from May that said currently it takes more energy to produce a gallon of algae biofuel than the biofuel provides. That was the problem with corn based ethanol. Article said experts were expecting big improvements in production within 5 to 10 years. Estimates were for 61 million gallons a year to be produced by 2020. World gasoline use is currently 83 million gallons a day with 18 million of that in the U.S.. And all the Big Oil companies are investing in algae research. Exxon has made a $600 million dollar pledge to one company, the biggest investment so far. There's quite a bit online about this.