1 day on my own. Questions.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I understand, one of my end of day pickups doesn't have the sheet to scan. They always have 5 pallets, about 60 packages. Talk about time consuming scanning every one and loading them. Told my sup it would take me a lot longer there since one of us wasn't going to be scanning while the other was loading, I'd be on my own, don't think he understood of course lol.

I'm on my own Monday again I think then sup back on car Tuesday.
There is no need to scan each package, end of day or not. Load 60 in the truck, put 60 pieces in the pickup screen, done. Anyone that tells you different is wrong, per corporate.

TG43

Holy crap that is awesome, ok. So I would just need to count them, right? The customer probably won't know exactly? I could ask first I guess.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Holy crap that is awesome, ok. So I would just need to count them, right? The customer probably won't know exactly? I could ask first I guess.
Technically you should count and verify but if there is no end of day barcode, load em and put the count in the pickup and move on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Im with the kid. These idiots are making it way harder to qualify nowadays than what it used to be. The cards are so stacked against these new guys its ridiculous. The jobs hard enough and complicated enough for us vets, because of how poopy everything is done. Nothing is done right. I would hate to be one of these new guys trying to qualify. They've pretty much set them up for failure from the get go. Us vets no how to solve the problems these idiots send us out with everyday, pretty quickly on the fly cause we know what kind of bullshiznitt errors they make. These new guys have no clue. Honestly I feel bad for them cause ups has pretty much set them up to fail.
You know what the company is worried about? 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. Drivers now have to know it 100% verbatim to pass driver school.

Z

ZQXC

For the scheduled pickups...they need to be within 15 minutes before or after the scheduled time, correct? I wonder when that time starts exactly. I wonder if I start scanning 16 minutes before the scheduled time, if that shows up as too early and if I start scanning 14 minutes later than scheduled time, if that's too late?

Air deliveries in EDD aren't important as far as time of delivery right?

How about pickups in EDD...as long as it's after the time in EDD and before business close????

Just want to be sure that you understand the pickup compliance policy: For a 4:15 pickup you have a window of opportunity between 4:00 and 4:30. Anytime within that window is acceptable. I have adjusted my PU times so that if I start the first one at 4:00 all of them just fall into place with compliance, due to the travel time and average time at each stop.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I feel for you buddy. Anymore UPS has an ugly tendency of make the simple complex. As far as pick up compliance goes you must play their game. It will get easier when it becomes routine.

S

selfcancelsignal

Ok. Thanks guys.

My on car trainer is very knowledgeable...I could see he knows how to do the job...but whenever I had a problem, say with the diad, he would just take it and fix it for me...that was frustrating...I wanted the diad in my hand and fixing it myself. He was like just don't hit the wrong button, but I KNEW I would and would need to know how to get out of those situations. I figured it out quickly the first day, just up/down arrow when it shows and extra scan by mistake.

Same with off-loading, he always did it and just told me in training (was always in a big hurry to get out of work I think). I learn much better hands-on rather than just being told how to do something.

Thanks for the advice.
I had the same prob. w/ my Soup when I was qualifying. With the DIAD IV no less. Found out getting to know the veteran drivers & asking them was a much better way to go. Glad I already knew a few of them going in.

Sent from my rotary phone.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Forget about the idiot supes training ya right, that aint going to happen. This job is learn on the fly. Its always been like that. Im not saying theres not any good driver supes who actually train drivers right but its far and few that's for sure. You gotta have the right mentality to be a good driver supe, you gotta have that true leader mentality and the last time I checked there aint none lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Forget about the idiot supes training ya right, that aint going to happen. This job is learn on the fly. Its always been like that. Im not saying theres not any good driver supes who actually train drivers right but its far and few that's for sure. You gotta have the right mentality to be a good driver supe, you gotta have that true leader mentality and the last time I checked there aint none lol.

This job is most certainly not "learn on the fly". There are still plenty of good on-cars with the ability to train new drivers.

Our center has a mentoring program for new drivers which is designed to supplement the on-road training program. This program pairs new and veteran drivers who meet one day a week to monitor their progress, go over any concerns and work on any parts of the job the newbie may be struggling with.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Z

ZQXC

This job is most certainly not "learn on the fly". There are still plenty of good on-cars with the ability to train new drivers.

Our center has a mentoring program for new drivers which is designed to supplement the on-road training program. This program pairs new and veteran drivers who meet one day a week to monitor their progress, go over any concerns and work on any parts of the job the newbie may be struggling with.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Excellent idea

Overpaid Union Thug

My "training" wasn't much better than the OPs. I'm in a small center so, like everyone else here, I was hired as an Air Driver/Saturday Air/TCD. I went to "school" for a week and spent most of it sitting in a classroom. Some of the classroom time was dedicated to practicing on the DIAD but mostly it was us just sitting there listening to someone talk about the 5 Seeing Habits, 10 Point Commentary, and UPS policies, history, etc.. We only actually went out and drove on two days and it was all together about half a day each time. There were like 8 of us in the class so we didn't get much time behind the wheel.

When I went back to my center the next week I had to wait a few days to ride along with the On Car and it was only two days on two different routes. He barely (and I can't emphasize the word BARELY enough) taught me anything. It was basically him driving like a maniac and me working as his helper. My first day alone was a disaster. A few weeks later I had a ride along on a saturday but that is no big deal. Then eventually I was shown the PM Air one day and the PM Air Driver couldn't work the next day so I was out on it right after I was "trained" on it. That was a disaster too. Looking back I know it wouldn't have taken much effort to be trained just enough so that those first time solo runs would have been bad instead of disasters. But some sups just don't give a damn. Some are offended when they have to actually leave their offices so when they do they short change the driver. Pathetic.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just want to be sure that you understand the pickup compliance policy: For a 4:15 pickup you have a window of opportunity between 4:00 and 4:30. Anytime within that window is acceptable. I have adjusted my PU times so that if I start the first one at 4:00 all of them just fall into place with compliance, due to the travel time and average time at each stop.
Actually a 4:15 needs to be picked up between 4:01 and 4:29.

Future

Victory Ride
Relax . Breathe. The only thing you should worry about is.
1.Getting EDD before you leave.
2. Getting airs off on time
3. Getting businesses off.
4. Get your PUs done.
5. Get your houses off
6. Get Airs back to building.
7. Don't hit anything or get hit
8. You get paid by the hour, don't worry about O/A.
My 8 keys to being a driver. Everything else will be memorization

Sent using BrownCafe App
Number 7 should be number 1

30yearstolife

Come in a bit early and get to know a veteran driver, or better yet 3 or 4 of them. The ones who are talkative and can still smile and joke around will be your best bet for answering questions. It is tough at the beginning. It was the same way over 30 years ago when I started. They throw you to the lions and see if you can handle it. I got a speeding ticket my first day driving alone and was 3 hours over allowed. Get a lot of sleep, turn off your phone at work and concentrate. When you get the hang of the job in a few weeks start asking yourself after each stop..How could I have trimmed some time at that stop? DON"T CRACK A MIRROR OR RUT A DRIVEWAY.