1 day on my own. Questions.

TG43

Well I made it through the week without quitting.

Monday was good, it was real light and I had time to think/learn. Tuesday it was all down hill...almost double the stops and it just got worse the rest of the week. Sup tells me over and over I HAVE to be back by 6:30 to get air off truck and processed. I told him that's like telling me I have to be 8 feet tall by 6:30, it's not possible for me. Thursday I decided to really try to get sup off my back...I literally ran and took a 10 min lunch, was back at 7. Friday, they give me even more stops! I basically gave up, went normal pace but no lunch. He sent someone out to take my air. The rest of my stops I wasn't familiar with, so I asked the guy if that was my route, he said no, it was actually part of his route. So they gave me my route plus more. wtf I'm not superman.

I like everything about ups except management. I like being out there and working hard.

comments? so does it get better?

PT Car Washer

Sounds like it is getting better already. Off by 7 on a Friday night is great. Over heard a Center manager tell a Sup once they can load the drivers down a little heavier on Fridays because they will work harder to start the weekend.

TG43

I wasn't clear...I was done last night (Friday) at 8:30. That's not a big deal to me or anything. I don't care how late I am.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sounds like it is getting better already. Off by 7 on a Friday night is great. Over heard a Center manager tell a Sup once they can load the drivers down a little heavier on Fridays because they will work harder to start the weekend.

UPS always did that on Friday, knowing there would be people busting butt trying to get off early anyway. Eventually most drivers get the attitude of they will get done when they get done if they know they will be out late no matter what they do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

TG43, if you have to come in, dump and go back out, so be it, but you do need to get your air and ground back in by their respective cutoff times. You do not want to be the driver in probation to miss the air cutoff.

TG43

TG43, if you have to come in, dump and go back out, so be it, but you do need to get your air and ground back in by their respective cutoff times. You do not want to be the driver in probation to miss the air cutoff.

That didn't really occur to me. I don't think that's what he means when he tells me to be back by 6:30 but I will ask to be sure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That didn't really occur to me. I don't think that's what he means when he tells me to be back by 6:30 but I will ask to be sure.

No, it's not really what he means----he would prefer that you be all done----but he would also prefer that the air and ground pickups make their pull time so if you have to come in, dump and go back out, so be it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Well I made it through the week without quitting.

Monday was good, it was real light and I had time to think/learn. Tuesday it was all down hill...almost double the stops and it just got worse the rest of the week. Sup tells me over and over I HAVE to be back by 6:30 to get air off truck and processed. I told him that's like telling me I have to be 8 feet tall by 6:30, it's not possible for me. Thursday I decided to really try to get sup off my back...I literally ran and took a 10 min lunch, was back at 7. Friday, they give me even more stops! I basically gave up, went normal pace but no lunch. He sent someone out to take my air. The rest of my stops I wasn't familiar with, so I asked the guy if that was my route, he said no, it was actually part of his route. So they gave me my route plus more. wtf I'm not superman.

I like everything about ups except management. I like being out there and working hard.

comments? so does it get better?
Welcome to the freak show youngblood lol. That's how it is pretty much all the time with idiot loads and dispatches. Just do your thing and be safe and do everything by the book. If they try n disqualify you for numbers just file a grievance. They cant disqualify you for the numbers unless you are a total total slowpoke. It doesn't sound like you are and you are giving it a valiant effort. Just remember main thing is don't wreck that truck or yourself and youll be ok. If you find yourself frustrated or having a mental breakdown, stop and take 5 min and regroup and get yourself together soldier mentally. Weve all been threw it dude trust me on that one.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Don't matter what day it is, if they send me out too heavy with an idiot dispatch, I don't have a problem punching them in the nuttz, MON TUE WED THUR FRI, well you get the picture lmfao.

keeb86

Going to be hard to qualify because of ORION(WHICH DOESNT WORK) idiot dispatches and the STEVIE WONDER loads. If it were me id go in an hour to an hour and a half early and go through your truck to get the load to the point where you know where every thing is at, skip your lunch, run like a freakin idiot, and take pictures of the load everyday if you decide not to come in super early every morning. Remember your first 30 to 40 days are the most important til you qualify. Hope this helps.
If you are new they should just let you run RDO instead of ODO. Otherwise they are setting up the new drivers to fail.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TG43

Yes, I qualified a while ago. I got the hang of that route pretty good, it was alright. I never took a full lunch and break, usually 25 minute lunch. If I can at least eat I'm usually ok (as in not upset) but I would really like to take my full lunch and not work for free.

I'm on a new route. Been on it for about a week and a half. I usually stop at Hess and take a 10 minute lunch. I get back at 7:30. They gave me a real hard time yesterday about it because of pick up pieces. So today I skipped lunch altogether and literally ran. Clocked out like 7. Not happy at all. Have an interview coming up. If I could make full time in a couple years I'd stick it out but I'm looking at 10 years to make full time. Glad I gave it a shot instead of just wondering but it's just not for me.

I think a lot of people run/skip there lunch which has made routes ridiculously long. I could be wrong. I watched one kid run delivering a package to my house before I started there, then he told me at work that he likes to run for the exercise. My safety guy that was training me told me he runs (not sure if he meant literally) and skips his lunch and hasn't been over scratch for over a year, even on a new route.