1 LBS box on freight truck

BigEmpty53

UPS Freight
Lately, I have seen way too many 1 to 4 ibs boxes on 53ft semis out to be delivered. It's funny when I pull up in my semi, customer opens the dock door but I'm not backing in, instead I'm carrying 1 pound box to their front door. They look at me like I'm crazy :surprised: I didn't know a 1 pound box is considered as heavy freight :laughing:

BigEmpty53

UPS Freight
Are they diverting pks from UPS to the Freight side??????? is this why the volume is down???

I don't know if they are diverting on purpose, but more often then that I have been stuck with packages that could have gone on little brown trucks instead of 53ft semis. And these were non-hazmat type shipments and they weren't large boxes.

Do y'all utilize the one Z tacking numbers the same as we do? I'm just wondering if this was a decision made by UPS or the shipper?
I don't know a thing about UPS freight but years ago nearly (if not all ) freight companies charged a minimum of a 100 lbs for any shipment. I reckon this isn't the same today.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've delivered at the same time as some other UPS freight trucks the past 2 months. I was surprised that they were just delivering 1 - 4 boxes to my customers. They were all haz mats though, which didn't make sense because we can deliver those too. Maybe its cheaper for the shipper, to wrap them on a pallet and ship them freight instead of paying the UPS handling fees. That's my guess , what's yours?

ups79

I don't know if they are diverting on purpose, but more often then that I have been stuck with packages that could have gone on little brown trucks instead of 53ft semis. And these were non-hazmat type shipments and they weren't large boxes.

Just like a lot of times those "comfort select beds" or "nordic traks" or piece of furniture could go on that 53 foot trailor instead of an eight cube.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I've wondered so often why we as package drivers are delivering freight. I asked a freight driver about it one day at walmart and showed him all the pottery barn in my truck. I guess it's the shipper's decision, he said it would have been much cheaper to palletize and put in on freight. I had been told that either the shipper or receiver had not way to load or unload pallets. He said he has a lift and a pallet jack so that isn't an issue. (I had 6 big pieces of pottery barn furniture each to two addresses)

feeder53

ADKtrails
One should ask when they see some of this type delivery only to get an idea of how to head this in the right direction for MGMT and drivers.