1 loader per trailer.

Asinine

Any other area have this ridiculous policy coming in? Apparently, every belt is limited to 1 person per trailer to load in our building. With the amount of flow we have, it's really going to be great leaving late every night because of the decision they made to make everything backed up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One loader per trailer is completely against any HABIT, METHOD, or whatever other coin phrase of the day is about. How are you to handle over 70's? I would grieve that. They tried that crap in my building. Thank God, I was still on preload. The minions just follow the leader like duck, duck goose. I cried and whined and stamped my feet til they couldn't take it anymore. Absolute bull:censored2:!! (Sorry, Cheryl)

Converge

Thats how it is in my building. I'm stuck on the busiest belt in the building scanning/loading by myself. All I'm gonna say is its taking a toll on my body real fast.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i don't understand the problem. what iregs? iregs dont come down the belt.

I disagree. How long have you loaded for?? I loaded on and off for years, in many buildings and shifts too. Often times you see irregular shape, size pr weight packages coming down the belt that should have been pulled off in the unload. That is not the "practice", but it is reality.

I have seen irregs and associated flow jams cause belt-melting and fires on too many occasions to remember.

washington57

We have one belt. It doesn't discriminate.

i only loaded trailers for 6 months, but iregs would be dropped off outside trailers in pito carts. iregs are not sent out into the primary to be sorted. if somehow an ireg did get sorted then picked off into a trailer that the loader could get help with it.

there are alot of things to get mad at about ups but loading a trailer by yourself is not one of them. you are paid by the hour and can only go so fast. don't stress about the trailers leaving early, that isn't your problem. your job is to load the truck not to wonder about it being on time. if ups wanted it to be on time they would put another loader in there.

menotyou

bella amicizia
i only loaded trailers for 6 months, but iregs would be dropped off outside trailers in pito carts. iregs are not sent out into the primary to be sorted. if somehow an ireg did get sorted then picked off into a trailer that the loader could get help with it.

there are alot of things to get mad at about ups but loading a trailer by yourself is not one of them. you are paid by the hour and can only go so fast. don't stress about the trailers leaving early, that isn't your problem. your job is to load the truck not to wonder about it being on time. if ups wanted it to be on time they would put another loader in there.

I haven't been on preload in a few years.

menotyou

bella amicizia

You must work at a large facility. Come work in my world. You would have a different attitude.

Converge

I can understand what you are saying, but sometimes its just the amount of work thats stuffed down one belt gets frustrating and stressful pretty fast. or at least thats how I am. We have 3 separate trailers for our meadowlands load, running 2 at a time. And its always 1 guy scanning/loading one and the other one is a scanner and a loader, but thats only cause the one guy is worthless and basically refuses to scan/load by himself. we used to run the belt with 5 people. now just 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

killamjl

they have been doing this a while at my center to, we cant keep any new hires so most days its just one loader per truck.

You could just do your best and not worry about keeping pace, but then you get heckled..if your fine with that then its not a problem I guess.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger.....or it seems at ups what doesnt kill you permanently injures you for the rest of your life. Im not sure which it is yet, ill let you know when im 60

pretzel_man

Any other area have this ridiculous policy coming in? Apparently, every belt is limited to 1 person per trailer to load in our building. With the amount of flow we have, it's really going to be great leaving late every night because of the decision they made to make everything backed up.

What is your load rate?

The number of loaders needed depnds on the flow.

Sometimes more than one is needed in a trailer, sometimes one loader can load multiple.

What rate are they asking you to load?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I remember when, if you made the number, you were allowed another body. As long as, the number stayed up. One belt and 30ish trucks evenly distributed,3 trucks per loader and two in the feeder; if you are out of the feeder in under 25 min, you made your number all day long. Also, you had no misloads and you were out at just about 3.5. Every one was happy. Not now.

Integrity

Binge Poster

washington57,

This is sound advise.

When approaching a job such as this, one should expect to work with a reasonable effort; fair work for fair pay.

Stressing out and abusing your body are not job requirements for this type of job.

Following the methods is a job requirement.

No hourly person should ever blame anyone but themselves for handling an +70 package without help.

If a supervisor is trying to force anyone to do this then this supervisor is intentionally trying to get the person to do something that can cause them serious debilitating bodily harm.

This can not be tolerated. If this happens the person should refuse to handle it and seek representation immediately.

The person brave enough to do this should expect retaliation, possible wrongful termination.

Sincerely,
I

Asinine

Well, I'm not sure what is mean't by "rate" (way over my head I suppose), but I have learned I'm not there to impress my supervisor. I gave up killing my body a little bit after my first few weeks. I load at about an average PPH in my area, simply because either way, we're either going to get off at 10 or later, no matter what our count is. I'm not going to kill my body in hopes that we will get done any earlier than that. The idea is just ridiculous to me. Being backed up does get me a little bit stressed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, I'm not sure what is mean't by "rate" (way over my head I suppose), but I have learned I'm not there to impress my supervisor. I gave up killing my body a little bit after my first few weeks. I load at about an average PPH in my area, simply because either way, we're either going to get off at 10 or later, no matter what our count is. I'm not going to kill my body in hopes that we will get done any earlier than that. The idea is just ridiculous to me. Being backed up does get me a little bit stressed.

Load rate and PPH are one in the same.