1 year free of FedEx

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I often wonder the same thing old fart.
So much talk about this jobs sucks .. the pay sucks ... blah blah blah ... unions are great . Why not go to ups if everything is so great there? Nope instead I won't do anything to make my life better I'll just come on here and complain. Don't use the excuse that your too old either if you do nothing to make your life better than you deserve what you get.

I am FedEx.com for you too. They love folks like you. Maybe, just maybe, FedEx is an unethical company that exploits it's people.

Code43

I believe everyone is a winner with you leaving. You hated the place yet stayed 12 years and the company got rid of a bitter employee with a bad attitude. If it took 2 years to find another job, your skills and experience must not be that great. Stress? More than likely the stress was caused by poor work performance and trying to do a job that your skills just were not cut out to do. Have fun in the fast food industry.

1. Yes, my attitude was sour. I was extremely bitter towards the end of my career at FedEx.
2. My skill set is just fine. I used my "career" at FedEx as a stepping stone to find something better for my family and myself.
3. The stress wasn't caused by poor performance. My stress was caused by being in market level B and only taking home 450 dollars a week after insurance and taxes.
4. Lastly, I do not work in the fast food industry. It's the snack food industry. Get it right.

Oldfart

1. Yes, my attitude was sour. I was extremely bitter towards the end of my career at FedEx.
2. My skill set is just fine. I used my "career" at FedEx as a stepping stone to find something better for my family and myself.
3. The stress wasn't caused by poor performance. My stress was caused by being in market level B and only taking home 450 dollars a week after insurance and taxes.
4. Lastly, I do not work in the fast food industry. It's the snack food industry. Get it right.
With all of the OT opportunities out there, sounds like you did your 40 and went home. It is all about money management. You have to make your standard of living match your paycheck. Taxes are a way of life. Our insurance cost are very reasonable considering we are not penalizing our spouse if they have coverage like many companies do. UPS being one of them. I would bet your attitude stunk from day 1 and got worse as time went on. Your wife is unhappy and your family resents your negative attitude. I hope the Ding Dong sales stay strong or you will be bad mouthing Hostess.

vantexan

Heck no. This is great reading. A bunch of whining crybabies complaining about their job and yet they keep working there. Just enjoy reading all of the misinformed and ignorant post and wonder what could possibly be posted next. Once again I will ask. If the company sucks so bad and you are so mistreated, why are you still working here?

I am watching some Big Bang Theory reruns. I thought Shelton was crazy. He has nothing on the people complaining on here.
OK, I realize there are those who never get affected by bad mgrs or who's spouse has a decent job so they're satisfied with what they have. Some of us have experienced some pretty bad things from bad mgrs. Lies to get me to transfer to their location, cheating customers and putting me in the middle of it, explosive tempers, etc. There's a good chance the national fraud hotline was started after I posted on another site how my mgrs were cheating customers. And then there were the years in the 90's with no top out raise. I should've held out, but I quit in '97, rehired in '98. I and 10's of thousands of others have had to settle for much less. Oh they promised repeatedly that they were looking at improving midrange pay, but never did. I transferred more than most, and as late as 2013 I was hearing mgrs tell newhires that they'd top out in 7 to 8 years. Bald faced lie. So why stay through all that? I was hanging in there for the traditional pension which of course they terminated in 2008 after giving us a "choice" whether to stay in the traditional pension or go into the portable pension. The "choice" was a deception to get as many as possible to voluntarily move into the new pension. Those who voluntarily did so didn't get the extra 4% a year the rest of us got who were forced into the new pension. And at the same time the economy tanked and there weren't many options out there. For me personally in 2011 had a stint put into my "widow maker" artery. You mention about the benefits but if that had happened to me now the bill would've had me declaring bankruptcy. Our medical is a far cry from what it used to be. Glad you're happy with your FedEx experience, but I for one have repeatedly been lied to and cheated. And yet I've been tops in productivity in most of the places I've worked, and have transferred into some incredibly heavy, absolutely insane routes. I held up my end of the bargain and it has been extremely disappointing and at times infuriating that the company that claims it's a people company didn't hold up their end in spite of their many promises, especially given how hard I worked for what I got. At the end of the day they're just another company that lies and cheats to enrich themselves, and we're supposed to just be thankful they gave us a job. These kind of people used to raid and pillage, rape and murder to get their gold. Now they just use a pen.

Code43

With all of the OT opportunities out there, sounds like you did your 40 and went home. It is all about money management. You have to make your standard of living match your paycheck. Taxes are a way of life. Our insurance cost are very reasonable considering we are not penalizing our spouse if they have coverage like many companies do. UPS being one of them. I would bet your attitude stunk from day 1 and got worse as time went on. Your wife is unhappy and your family resents your negative attitude. I hope the Ding Dong sales stay strong or you will be bad mouthing Hostess.

I was a 4x10. No overtime offered to me other than peak. I'm sure there are overtime opportunities in certain areas of the country with the amount of turnover FedEx generates.

My attitude did stink towards management. Who wants to be lied to on a daily basis? I waited around for years for better pay to come around. It never did. I left. I was almost 8 dollars an hour away from top out after 12 years. Who would be happy about that? I'm thankful I got out when I did. I made a decision for the good of my family.

Being a route salesman, I'm in control of my paychecks. I'm in control of how many hours I work (usually 45-55). I'm in control of what time I start and finish. No late freight, no time card codes, no harassment about gaps because of taking a restroom break. I'm happy with this. It works well for me.

As far as insurance goes.. The company I work for is self insured. Just like the company you work for. Anthem BCBS. It's the same crappy insurance I had at FedEx. Same deductibles, same copays. I'm ok with it.

From what I've heard, Hostess was a hell of a company to work for back in day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was a 4x10. No overtime offered to me other than peak. I'm sure there are overtime opportunities in certain areas of the country with the amount of turnover FedEx generates.

My attitude did stink towards management. Who wants to be lied to on a daily basis? I waited around for years for better pay to come around. It never did. I left. I was almost 8 dollars an hour away from top out after 12 years. Who would be happy about that? I'm thankful I got out when I did. I made a decision for the good of my family.

Being a route salesman, I'm in control of my paychecks. I'm in control of how many hours I work (usually 45-55). I'm in control of what time I start and finish. No late freight, no time card codes, no harassment about gaps because of taking a restroom break. I'm happy with this. It works well for me.

As far as insurance goes.. The company I work for is self insured. Just like the company you work for. Anthem BCBS. It's the same crappy insurance I had at FedEx. Same deductibles, same copays. I'm ok with it.

Oldfart would never understand all the crap that goes on at Express 'cause he got his head stuck in the french fryer at McDonald's and still can't get it out.

Purplepackage

So a slight de rail, what's the general amount of time you spend at a stop? Like how many stops can you fit in a day when you are actually stocking shelves and such. I knew a guy that was a route salesman for Snyder pretzels and he made a good living off of it

bacha29

Oldfart would never understand all the crap that goes on at Express 'cause he got his head stuck in the french fryer at McDonald's and still can't get it out.
Guys like "oldfart" have lost touch with the Fedex of today. A company that at one time may have been good to work for. Today nothing those people do or say can be deemed trustworthy or believable. The reason being that there is no formal labor agreement in place that binds them to a specific code of conduct. The result being that "oldfarts" "be glad you have a job" mentality is totally obsolete given that you're dealing with a company with a much more ruthless frame of mind. This is 2016 not 1959 and you're dealing with a completely different corporate culture and it's not a pleasant one.

Purplepackage

Guys like "oldfart" have lost touch with the Fedex of today. A company that at one time may have been good to work for. Today nothing those people do or say can be deemed trustworthy or believable. The reason being that there is no formal labor agreement in place that binds them to a specific code of conduct. The result being that "oldfarts" "be glad you have a job" mentality is totally obsolete given that you're dealing with a company with a much more ruthless frame of mind. This is 2016 not 1959 and you're dealing with a completely different corporate culture and it's not a pleasant one.

Essentially the same as when baby boomers compare themselves to the mid 20 somethings of today. Complaining that when they were 23 they owned a house and a kid, and worked hard for everything they had.

The unfortunately reality being that you can work has hard as you want but guess what all thats happening is things are being taken away from workers and no longer given.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This week marks my one year anniversary from leaving FedEx. Best decision I ever made for myself and my family. I waisted 12 years of my life with that company. I would never consider going back. The amount of stress and emotional abuse the company puts on its employees isn't worth the terrible "Industry leading" pay that employees Receive. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. If I, a college drop out with no other real work experience can get out of that :censored2: hole, anyone can. It took me two years to find a new job. It wasn't easy. I have no regrets. Things will never change at FedEx.
Congratulations for making the life change . Most people don't have the guts to leave after they have put in so much time. They think it's an investment that they can't walk away from. Then instead of being miserable for 12 years , they are miserable for 35.

It seems that all big corporation companies are pretty close to the same. I worked at UPS for over 20 years. When I started the old timers were telling me stories about the good ol days . Company BBQ's , drinking at the bar with the bosses and everyone knew each others families and supported each other.

Even 20-25 years ago I really didn't see much of that . Then UPS went public and it has been downhill ever since. I wasn't thrilled with the bosses and management style but I don't remember ever being miserable. I was lucky to be a feeder driver so that may be the difference.

The best revenge to me was living well. I saved and saved and invested as much money as I could. We lived on the base pay for expenses and invested all the overtime . I averaged 55-60 hours a week the last 10 years because they hated hiring new drivers. We paid off the house 7 years early and with a lot of hard work and planning we retired 6- 7 years early.

I'm glad you're happy and followed your gut feelings to get out before the job destroyed you.

Code43

So a slight de rail, what's the general amount of time you spend at a stop? Like how many stops can you fit in a day when you are actually stocking shelves and such. I knew a guy that was a route salesman for Snyder pretzels and he made a good living off of it

Depends. if it's a small account like a conveince store I can usually get in and out with 20-35 minutes. I spend up to 3 hours in my grocery store account's. Routes that deliver to super stores like Walmart spend 60% of the work day in the store. I make between 5 to 7 stops a day on my route.

Oldfart

Fella, I was chasing a noon P1 commitment time in a Ford van with a manual transmission before most of the miserables on here could spell Federal Express. Is the company perfect? Not hardly but compared to many other companies it is head and shoulders above them when it comes to benefits and stability. Again I ask, if the company is so corrupt and evil, why are all the people that complain still working here? Don't be miserable, go find another job. Most of you would be miserable no matter where you worked, what you made or what the work rules were.

dezguy

There is 0 OT offered at my sta, other than peak. You can't use your situation and proclaim it gospel.

The last two sentences of this post probably say a lot about the person you are in real life.

Oldfart

OK, I realize there are those who never get affected by bad mgrs or who's spouse has a decent job so they're satisfied with what they have. Some of us have experienced some pretty bad things from bad mgrs. Lies to get me to transfer to their location, cheating customers and putting me in the middle of it, explosive tempers, etc. There's a good chance the national fraud hotline was started after I posted on another site how my mgrs were cheating customers. And then there were the years in the 90's with no top out raise. I should've held out, but I quit in '97, rehired in '98. I and 10's of thousands of others have had to settle for much less. Oh they promised repeatedly that they were looking at improving midrange pay, but never did. I transferred more than most, and as late as 2013 I was hearing mgrs tell newhires that they'd top out in 7 to 8 years. Bald faced lie. So why stay through all that? I was hanging in there for the traditional pension which of course they terminated in 2008 after giving us a "choice" whether to stay in the traditional pension or go into the portable pension. The "choice" was a deception to get as many as possible to voluntarily move into the new pension. Those who voluntarily did so didn't get the extra 4% a year the rest of us got who were forced into the new pension. And at the same time the economy tanked and there weren't many options out there. For me personally in 2011 had a stint put into my "widow maker" artery. You mention about the benefits but if that had happened to me now the bill would've had me declaring bankruptcy. Our medical is a far cry from what it used to be. Glad you're happy with your FedEx experience, but I for one have repeatedly been lied to and cheated. And yet I've been tops in productivity in most of the places I've worked, and have transferred into some incredibly heavy, absolutely insane routes. I held up my end of the bargain and it has been extremely disappointing and at times infuriating that the company that claims it's a people company didn't hold up their end in spite of their many promises, especially given how hard I worked for what I got. At the end of the day they're just another company that lies and cheats to enrich themselves, and we're supposed to just be thankful they gave us a job. These kind of people used to raid and pillage, rape and murder to get their gold. Now they just use a pen.

I have never understood how anyone with a number of years of service could even complain about the addition of the Portable Pension Plan. First of all we have a pension. Do you realize that ONLY 4% of Fortune 500 companies even have a pension as a single source of retirement. ONLY 14% of Fortune 500 companies offer a PENSION and a 401K.

Now look at the addition of the Portable. In case you never understood, the TRADITIONAL pension maxed out after 25 years. I was sitting on a pension that did not increase for several years as a result of the 25 year max. That means after 25 years, your monthly pension upon retirement was frozen at a set amount. With the addition of the PORTABLE, my traditional is still frozen at the 25 years rate, but I am also building a sizeable cash value account that will be mine upon retirement. The company contributes 8% to the portable. I know there was a 4% bump for some but it has been almost 13 years since I enrolled so I forget the specifics. That account is drawing 4% interest each year on top of the 8% the company contributes. Ask any money man about a cash account drawing 4% risk free every year and they will tell you to jump all over it. That rate of return is almost unheard of in today's low interest rates. That account will continue to draw that return even after you retire and until you withdraw it. I am presently sitting on almost 20 months of base salary in my portable. So I am getting 8% invested and that investment is drawing 4%. That looks like I am getting 12% of my yearly salary invested totally by the company. Add that to the 3.5% 401k match and I am getting 15.5% invested for me by the company. In addition, the portable pension is payable to anyone you want, regardless of who they are. The traditional pension is only payable to a spouse. So unless I am mistaken, an unmarried employee will basically lose their traditional pension when they die. Their portable will go where ever they designate. Anyone that thinks the portable pension was a bad move must not have had all the facts. I will be collecting a little under 135k from my portable when I leave in a couple of years. Not a bad addition to my 401k and my monthly traditional pension I will be getting.

bacha29

Are you telling me that you have worked for the company for 38 years. If so it's no wonder you feel the way you do about it. Likewise you probably have been to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Center enough times that you now teach there on weekends. Glad to see that your retirement is a secure as it is. Too bad that the generation that succeeds you will never know anything anywhere close to it.

vantexan

I have never understood how anyone with a number of years of service could even complain about the addition of the Portable Pension Plan. First of all we have a pension. Do you realize that ONLY 4% of Fortune 500 companies even have a pension as a single source of retirement. ONLY 14% of Fortune 500 companies offer a PENSION and a 401K.

Now look at the addition of the Portable. In case you never understood, the TRADITIONAL pension maxed out after 25 years. I was sitting on a pension that did not increase for several years as a result of the 25 year max. That means after 25 years, your monthly pension upon retirement was frozen at a set amount. With the addition of the PORTABLE, my traditional is still frozen at the 25 years rate, but I am also building a sizeable cash value account that will be mine upon retirement. The company contributes 8% to the portable. I know there was a 4% bump for some but it has been almost 13 years since I enrolled so I forget the specifics. That account is drawing 4% interest each year on top of the 8% the company contributes. Ask any money man about a cash account drawing 4% risk free every year and they will tell you to jump all over it. That rate of return is almost unheard of in today's low interest rates. That account will continue to draw that return even after you retire and until you withdraw it. I am presently sitting on almost 20 months of base salary in my portable. So I am getting 8% invested and that investment is drawing 4%. That looks like I am getting 12% of my yearly salary invested totally by the company. Add that to the 3.5% 401k match and I am getting 15.5% invested for me by the company. In addition, the portable pension is payable to anyone you want, regardless of who they are. The traditional pension is only payable to a spouse. So unless I am mistaken, an unmarried employee will basically lose their traditional pension when they die. Their portable will go where ever they designate. Anyone that thinks the portable pension was a bad move must not have had all the facts. I will be collecting a little under 135k from my portable when I leave in a couple of years. Not a bad addition to my 401k and my monthly traditional pension I will be getting.
Yes, you are very mistaken. Your traditional pension took your 5 highest paid years out of all the years you worked up to mid-2008, averaged them together, that was your highest average annual pay. They then take 2% of that annual average and multiply it by the number of years you worked up to a maximum 25 years, even if you worked 26 or more years before mid-2008. Thus if you put in at least 25 qualified years you get 50% of your highest annual average pay at 60 years old.

Why tell you all that? Many of us were working diligently towards that 25 year goal but never made it. I got 19 years on it by 2008. And since I was a rehire my pay was held down so my pension will be figured on much less than top out pay. So my most productive years got me less while FedEx was telling us every year in a nice glossy mailing how much we'd get if we'd stick with them. Think ending the traditional pension was an impromptu event? Years in the planning sir.

Now, the portable pension. It's true that most major corporations don't offer a TRADITIONAL PENSION anymore. Most of them switched to a cash balance plan, which is what our portable pension is. It's not 8%, it's 9%, and to get that much your age plus your years of service must equal 75 or more. A 50 year old with 25 years qualifies. A new hire gets 3% of his gross. The 4% is 1% of your balance added as interest every quarter. Yes, you got your traditional pension plus some money in your portable based on your much higher topped out pay. Think what a new hire in 2003 has gotten by now based on his much lower pay and contribution, and how difficult it is for him to contribute to his 401k, and that and his Social Security is all he'll have. You can retire at 60, he will work to 67-70 and have to scrape by. Good for you, but don't assume it's great for everyone. If FedEx sticks to the new pay plan then newhires will do better, 30 somethings will do better, but a lot of us long time midrange couriers got screwed.

Oldfart

Are you telling me that you have worked for the company for 38 years. If so it's no wonder you feel the way you do about it. Likewise you probably have been to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Center enough times that you now teach there on weekends. Glad to see that your retirement is a secure as it is. Too bad that the generation that succeeds you will never know anything anywhere close to it.
And then some.