10 cube pulling a trailer???

Hedley_Lamarr

I just got back from vacation, and was driving through South Carolina, or Georgia, I cant remember which, and saw a 10 cube pulling what looked like a U-Haul trailer. Only the trailer was brown and had UPS logos on it. I've never seen that before. Do any of you guys have these in your center, and what are they used for??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not sure what a 10 cube is (P-1000?) but the TP-60 has been in use for a while; in fact, I think STUG uses one and is paid extra to do so. Our mall driver uses one and, during Peak, his helper works out of it. We call him Clark Griswold.

Hedley_Lamarr

I'm not sure what a 10 cube is (P-1000?) but the TP-60 has been in use for a while; in fact, I think STUG uses one and is paid extra to do so. Our mall driver uses one and, during Peak, his helper works out of it. We call him Clark Griswold.
You get paid extra to pull one of those?? I can see using one to work a mall, I've never seen one though...

I felt like Clark Griswold on this vacation. I drive for a living what the HELL am I thinking driving to Florida and back. I've never seen traffic like northern Virginia and Maryland. I sat in bumper to bumper traffic yesterday for 120 friggen miles, I was ready to shoot myself....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You get paid extra to pull one of those?? I can see using one to work a mall, I've never seen one though...

I felt like Clark Griswold on this vacation. I drive for a living what the HELL am I thinking driving to Florida and back. I've never seen traffic like northern Virginia and Maryland. I sat in bumper to bumper traffic yesterday for 120 friggen miles, I was ready to shoot myself....

Let me guess--you were on 95, right?

over9five

Staff member
Well, Hedley, you don't get paid much more.... I want to say 13 cents?

I used to pull one every Peak (just for UPS Store). They're easy to pull, easy to back.

One scary thing that happened to me was during a quick freeze. I picked up my full TP-60 with my empty P-10. Because of the iced over roads, I was doing about 2MPH taking a right at an intersection. Well that full trailer pushed the back of my empty car, and darn near turned me around! Luckily, I was alone in the intersection.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We get .25 extra (I think). There was talk of getting one here last year for one of our daily shippers. It never happened :dissapointed: but I believe I heard .25 extra.

tieguy

Banned

yesterday? Actually you caught us on one of our better days yesterday.:happy-very:

brownrodster

I just got back from vacation, and was driving through South Carolina, or Georgia, I cant remember which, and saw a 10 cube pulling what looked like a U-Haul trailer. Only the trailer was brown and had UPS logos on it. I've never seen that before. Do any of you guys have these in your center, and what are they used for??

We have 2 or 3 of these in our center. They are used for bulk stops and bulk pickups.

Example one would be a route that is very far away from the center and they need that extra capacity because there is zero chance of sending another driver to help.

Another example is a trailer gets parked at a business and picked up late at night after the business is closed.

Our drivers get paid an extra .26 an hour or so to pull them.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Good memory.

Sparky? Turn off the TV and come to bed.[video=youtube;l7PXD7Slu9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7PXD7Slu9s[/video]
We get .25 extra (I think). There was talk of getting one here last year for one of our daily shippers. It never happened :dissapointed: but I believe I heard .25 extra.
10¢ per hour here, 15¢ per hour overtime. You do get a good time allowance for hooking/unhooking.

We have 2 or 3 of these in our center. They are used for bulk stops and bulk pickups.

Example one would be a route that is very far away from the center and they need that extra capacity because there is zero chance of sending another driver to help.

Another example is a trailer gets parked at a business and picked up late at night after the business is closed.

Our drivers get paid an extra .26 an hour or so to pull them.
Bingo, and I wish we made the extra coin. Here's a picture of a TP60 and an 800 that "I found on the internet".:happy2:
800andtp60foundontheinternetsomewhere.jpg

BrownEvo

In my area (North Central PA/Southern Tier, NY) They pull them from center to center or hub if they cant fill a small trailer I think.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have about 15 of them in my building. We call them "pup trailers". I pull one. Most of the time we use P-700's to pull them with but we have a few P-10's with hitches. The P-10's (10-cubes to you) have issues with the hitch, the wheelbase is so long that the hitch drags on the ground if you go up a steep driveway. We get an extra .25 per hour for the whole day if we pull one. They are useful for bulk delivery or pickup stops, or for feeding sattelite centers. Mine is used as an air shuttle, I deliver out of it in the AM and leave it at the meet point, then everyone in my loop drops their Next Day Air and International pickup volume in it. The shuttle driver then hooks it up and hauls it to the airport.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Steve, I don't know what the time allowances are like.

You get about 7 minutes to pretrip and hook up a trailer. It takes me about 45 seconds. The "official method" is a ridiculous ritual that involves pacing off the distance to the trailer, and then making a mark or leaving a pebble on the ground by the drivers door to use as a reference point. This was before we had rear-view monitors. Back in those days my "unofficial method" was to just stick it in reverse and go until I hit the ball with my bumper :devillangel:and then pull forward about 8" to line the ball up with the hitch. All of our hitch cars in the pre-monitor days had dented bumpers....:wink2: