10 minutes paid break, 50 minutes unpaid lunch

By The Book

Well, I'm conflicted. Of course it's a contradiction. If my pay was docked because I didn't take that extra 40 minutes of unpaid break, I'd definitely take it. I'm sure the other drivers would, too. Most reasonable people don't want to work for free.

But seeing that we aren't docked that time we don't take beyond the 10+10... it's hard to build the desire to sit around for those extra 40 minutes when I could be working towards getting off the clock earlier.
I think the other 30 minutes that they are paying you for is actually 30 minutes more work on the car.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What about the guys who like the money and stay out late, they also take jobs away. Nobody says a word about that.
"Nobody" says a word???

Be that as it may; two wrongs don't make a right and Teamsters don't try to bring themselves up, by bringing someone else down.

There's a big difference between making some late pickups and running through your lunch.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
"Nobody" says a word???

Be that as it may; two wrongs don't make a right and Teamsters don't try to bring themselves up, by bringing someone else down.

There's a big difference between making some late pickups and running through your lunch.

You beat me to it.

A huge difference between wanting the extra money and doing the late pickups as opposed to running all day and skipping lunch and breaks

A driver or two wanting the extra money by making the late pickups does not eliminate jobs.

If he did not want it, UPS would just give it to someone else. No jobs created.

50 drivers running all day and skipping breaks and meals eliminates jobs.

upschuck

"Nobody" says a word???

You beat me to it.

A huge difference between wanting the extra money and doing the late pickups as opposed to running all day and skipping lunch and breaks

A driver or two wanting the extra money by making the late pickups does not eliminate jobs.

If he did not want it, UPS would just give it to someone else. No jobs created.

50 drivers running all day and skipping breaks and meals eliminates jobs.
Okay, if that is how you want to think, but I still contend that someone punching in only what they take(maybe 30 minutes) to get in at 6pm instead of 630pm takes less jobs then someone who likes the money and stays out til 8pm or later.

First scenario, no stops added, no stops taken off because they hit 9/5 both ways.

Second scenario, stops taken off to get to 9/5, and those stops have to go somewhere.

And yes, nobody says a word. I rarely see anyone on here say anything about making too much money and that could go into a new drivers pocket. If you make over ~$90k, then you took money from a new drivers pocket. (and that is if you hit 9.5 everyday)

And MUG, Why wouldn't they give it to "someone else"? That argument works both ways. 50 drivers work 11 hrs also would create jobs (about 8 of them) if you want to play the extremes.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I still contend that someone punching in only what they take(maybe 30 minutes) to get in at 6pm instead of 630pm takes less jobs

In a 50 car bonus center, the majority of the drivers do this. And they do a little more than just skipping 30 minutes of their lunch. They skip breaks, take shortcuts and run all day.

But let's just take your 30 minutes for example. 50 drivers skipping 30 minutes of their lunch equates to 25 hours. That is 3 jobs that were eliminated because you guys are doing a 9.5 dispatched route in 9 hours.

someone who likes the money and stays out until 8pm or later.

In a 50 car center, this may represent 2 or 3 drivers. If these drivers only worked 9.5 instead of 11 hours, that leaves 4 or 5 hours. Not enough to create another job. UPS will never make up a route to cover these 4 hours. They will just give these couple of hours to anyone who wants them.

If there are 20 or 30 drivers doing this, working until 8 pm, then I would agree with you. But this is rarely the case. It is usually only a couple. As opposed to the majority of a bonus center skipping lunches and breaks.

50 drivers work 11 hrs also would create jobs (about 8 of them)

I don't get it. If you're trying to say that if 50 drivers worked 11 hours, as opposed to requesting 9.5, that it would add jobs, then you are correct.

You show me a center where 50 drivers are working 11 hours. Most work 9 to 10. A few over that.

Bottom line. Bonus was designed to eliminate jobs. Get more work done with less people. Working a few drivers until 8 pm is designed to service the customer.

One or two drivers wanting the OT and working until 8 pm is not taking any jobs away. A 50 car bonus center not taking their lunch and breaks is.

Remember, bonus can be voted out. A 50 car bonus center can add 8 jobs if bonus was voted out. If every non bonus center driver requested 9.5, it might add 1 job.

People don't talk too much about 1 job. But when there is 8 involved, yes, people talk.

upschuck

In a 50 car bonus center, the majority of the drivers do this. And they do a little more than just skipping 30 minutes of their lunch. They skip breaks, take shortcuts and run all day.

But let's just take your 30 minutes for example. 50 drivers skipping 30 minutes of their lunch equates to 25 hours. That is 3 jobs that were eliminated because you guys are doing a 9.5 dispatched route in 9 hours.

In a 50 car center, this may represent 2 or 3 drivers. If these drivers only worked 9.5 instead of 11 hours, that leaves 4 or 5 hours. Not enough to create another job. UPS will never make up a route to cover these 4 hours. They will just give these couple of hours to anyone who wants them.

If there are 20 or 30 drivers doing this, working until 8 pm, then I would agree with you. But this is rarely the case. It is usually only a couple. As opposed to the majority of a bonus center skipping lunches and breaks.

I don't get it. If you're trying to say that if 50 drivers worked 11 hours, as opposed to requesting 9.5, that it would add jobs, then you are correct.

You show me a center where 50 drivers are working 11 hours. Most work 9 to 10. A few over that.

Bottom line. Bonus was designed to eliminate jobs. Get more work done with less people. Working a few drivers until 8 pm is designed to service the customer.

One or two drivers wanting the OT and working until 8 pm is not taking any jobs away. A 50 car bonus center not taking their lunch and breaks is.

Remember, bonus can be voted out. A 50 car bonus center can add 8 jobs if bonus was voted out. If every non bonus center driver requested 9.5, it might add 1 job.

People don't talk too much about 1 job. But when there is 8 involved, yes, people talk.

You make assumptions that most drivers in 50 car center work through lunch and punch out during that time. That is far from reality, especially in this time of telematics and all. They may take a shortened break, but enter in only what they take, so it has no bearing on worked time. I am not talking about those that enter the break and don't take it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You make assumptions that most drivers in 50 car center work through lunch and punch out during that time. That is far from reality, especially in this time of telematics and all. They may take a shortened break, but enter in only what they take, so it has no bearing on worked time. I am not talking about those that enter the break and don't take it.

I'm just trying to give you a little insight as to why people bash the bonus drivers and not the 8 pm drivers.

In reality, bonus does not eliminate jobs. People just have the perception that it does.

You're dispatched with 9.5 hours. You skip 30 minutes of your lunch and get in after 9 hours. If you didn't skip that 30 minutes, you would work 9.5 and no jobs were lost.

The only problem is that if the bonus drivers are dispatched with 10 hours and only work 9, they are happy. but if they did not skip their lunch, and worked 10 hours, and grieved the 9.5 language, then it would create jobs.

This is why people talk about bonus drivers and almost see them as scabs.

I never stated my opinion, just throwing some facts out there for you.

upschuck

I'm just trying to give you a little insight as to why people bash the bonus drivers and not the 8 pm drivers.

In reality, bonus does not eliminate jobs. People just have the perception that it does.

You're dispatched with 9.5 hours. You skip 30 minutes of your lunch and get in after 9 hours. If you didn't skip that 30 minutes, you would work 9.5 and no jobs were lost.

The only problem is that if the bonus drivers are dispatched with 10 hours and only work 9, they are happy. but if they did not skip their lunch, and worked 10 hours, and grieved the 9.5 language, then it would create jobs.

This is why people talk about bonus drivers and almost see them as scabs.

I never stated my opinion, just throwing some facts out there for you.

I guess we are in agreement then, as to the taking of a shortened lunch affecting paid time.

Peace brother.