10 point commentary

ManInBrown

anyone interested in the 10 point commentary should check w their human resources or driver supervisor in their building. they could be different from state to state, the commentary i gave is the exact wording and order that was given to me for integrad. i received my 10 point commentary about 5 weeks ago so i know without a doubt that mine is the correct and current commentary for my area.

some people might have a different version. here is the version of the 5 seeing eye habits that was given to me by ups.

The acronym is still All Good Kids Like Milk

1. Aim high in steering
imaginary target - baseball/dartboard
centers car in traffic lane. safe path on turns.
2. Get the big picture
how wide and deep? what's in it? objects and ground.
keeps you away from billboards. smooth stops and turns. buys time.
stay back and see it all
3. Keep your eyes moving
move eyes: front - 2 seconds rear - 5-8 seconds
keeps you alive at intersections. keeps eyes ahead of car.
scan-don't stare
4. Leave yourself an out
have escape route. take path of least resistance.
space on all four sides, but always in front.
be prepared. expect the unexpected.
5. Make sure they see you
communicate in traffic - horn, lights, signals.
establishes eye-to-eye contact.
don't gamble. use your horn, lights and signals.

I know you have to know the 10 point commentary word for word. I have that down. I'm confused about the 5 seeing habits.

AIM HIGH IN STEERING

GET THE BIG PICTURE

KEEP YOUR EYES MOVING

LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT

MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU

Do you have to know the word for word breakdown of each one to pass driving school? Or just the 5 as they are?

QKRSTKR

5 seeing habits you need to know it all, not just phrases. Not exact, but you need to be pretty darn close.

ManInBrown

5 seeing habits you need to know it all, not just phrases. Not exact, but you need to be pretty darn close.

Thanks. That's unreal. I really can't imagine people knowing the explanation for each one word for word. WOW. Guess I have a lot of studying to do.

browniehound

Ah, the 10-point commentary and UPS creating ways to help drivers remember it. Well if you need certain tools to remember and regurgitate it then its really not going to help keep you safe. It appears to me sometimes that UPS only cares that you can recite it for an audit. What good does this accomplish?

We really need to practice it and do so without thinking about it. I truly believe if you practice the 10-point at all times you will avoid most accidents. However if you just speak it, it does no good. Our sup. came up with a nice little way to remember each one. For example, #8-look over your left shoulder-the #8 looks like glasses you could pick up and turn left to put on your eyes.

Well if I need that to remember to look over my left shoulder to clear my blind spot then I'm not doing it in practice consistently. UPS should focus on getting to actually do the things in the 10-point instead of just repeating what it says.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Dear Upstate,

You should be making salary.

Sincerely yours,

~30 day wonder~

xoxoxo

He's right. I've heard many a driver say they don't need to know this stuff to be a good driver and why do they have to learn this crap.

10 point commentary should just come natural when driving.

It SHOULD but it doesn't. If you think it does then you obviously aren't getting the big picture and seeing what's around you out there. A lot of un-schooled drivers out there drive like complete idiots.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Should be 1 point commentary: 1.) Don't hit anything.

I have always thought it should be "Look where you are going and don't hit anything".

My sister-in-law drives a Greyhound bus, they just have to learn The Smith System, which is where The Five Seeing Habits comes from.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
How long does the background check usually take? Just to get an idea of when I should hear something.

Are you concerned you wont pass? When I started with the company I got a copy of my clean background check mailed to me from a vendor. They ran another one when I started driving but I never got a copy of that one.

ManInBrown

Are you concerned you wont pass? When I started with the company I got a copy of my clean background check mailed to me from a vendor. They ran another one when I started driving but I never got a copy of that one.

Not nervous just kind of anxious. I'm not even really sure what a background check entails. Was told by HR they confirm my current employment. Beyond that I have no idea what else is involved. Never been arrested. No felonies. License suspended for 6 months 15+ years ago for a DWI. I was young and dumb. When I went for the interview they asked about accidents in last 12 months. Tickets in last 3 years. I answered no to both. But when I did the online application that is when I disclosed the DWI. It asked if my license had EVER been suspended. No tickets in probably 8-10 years. Been so long I cant even remember. Will the DWI be grounds for failing the background check or a reason to not be hired?

I passed the FEDEX background check 10 years ago. I'm sure UPS might have different guidelines. I never had to disclose the DWI to FEDEX because they didn't ask if my license had ever been suspended. Only wanted a 5 year driving history.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Not nervous just kind of anxious. I'm not even really sure what a background check entails. Was told by HR they confirm my current employment. Beyond that I have no idea what else is involved. Never been arrested. No felonies. License suspended for 6 months 15+ years ago for a DWI. I was young and dumb. When I went for the interview they asked about accidents in last 12 months. Tickets in last 3 years. I answered no to both. But when I did the online application that is when I disclosed the DWI. It asked if my license had EVER been suspended. No tickets in probably 8-10 years. Been so long I cant even remember. Will the DWI be grounds for failing the background check or a reason to not be hired?

I passed the FEDEX background check 10 years ago. I'm sure UPS might have different guidelines. I never had to disclose the DWI to FEDEX because they didn't ask if my license had ever been suspended. Only wanted a 5 year driving history.

They hire an outside vendor who runs an ncic (national database that lists convictions) as well as your MVR from your state. The vendor also checks a database for those accused of stealing from their employer and checks public records. Having a dui, license suspension tickets or accidents does not disqualify you if they are not recent and you are honest about them. We had a part time sup when I worked inside who was convicted of manslaughter. He put it on his application and was honest about it and was hired.

ManInBrown

They hire an outside vendor who runs an ncic (national database that lists convictions) as well as your MVR from your state. The vendor also checks a database for those accused of stealing from their employer and checks public records. Having a dui, license suspension tickets or accidents does not disqualify you if they are not recent and you are honest about them. We had a part time sup when I worked inside who was convicted of manslaughter. He put it on his application and was honest about it and was hired.

​Thanks

1) Big headache 2) Stupid Sups 3) Days suspension 4) Times a day you get a stupid ODS message 5) times a week you will be late for dinner 6) ways to leave your lover 7) nites a week your body will hurt 8) times a day you want to quit 9) Is o.k. as long there is no 5 after it 10) Learn this or get fired!

ManInBrown

Got the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habits down cold. Is there anything else that has to be memorized? Someone mentioned something about 10 backing points.