10% salary cut across the board?

Dfigtree

If UPS made an offer
that everyone who is still collecting a check in IT
take a 10% salary cut
in order to hire back those who were fired ...
would you do it?

G

gimmeabreak

no raise, no 401k match, and kick back 10%---sounds good, where do I sign up?

how bout you retirees kicking some of your pension back to UPS -

or perhaps no LTIP this year for the big shots?

whiskeyagogo

How about the board doesn't take their 350% increase? I wonder if the money saved by laying off these people is exactly equal to the board's raise?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
If UPS made an offer
take a 10% salary cut
would you do it?

It's not the letting go part, it's the giving the jobs to IBM and Accenture part. Don't lose sight of that little detail.

It's not the letting go part, it's the giving the jobs to IBM and Accenture part. Don't lose sight of that little detail.

Agree! You feel bad for anybody to loose their job, especially if they were trying to do their best. Not so sure all of those who were let go were LEs. And for people the are here just for the ride: they should have been dealt with long ago. To control costs across the board salary cuts is one way, starting at the top, but what we really need is some vision and to work smarter. Outsourcing is another easy way out and loosing control of our intellectual property is not smart business.

A

an anonymous guest

If UPS made an offer
take a 10% salary cut
would you do it?

With reduced business and profit levels, the MIP level is not what it could be, options are not what they should be, and if the economy doesn't recover, the dividend may have to be adjusted. So, your 10% cut is for everyone anyway. So, I would not be in favor of your idea, especially since these folks are LEs. Looking at how UPS will be a top competitor over the long term, so this doesn't have to be done again, is the real issue. So instead of taking a 10% cut, lets all work to grow the business 10%, that should accomlish your goal.

Go UPS!
P71

LilBrownBear

10% across the board? How about 10% across the level 20's and up? That's where the big savings would be. They are supposed to be the leaders...well lead by example. :not_fair:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
10% across the board? How about 10% across the level 20's and up? That's where the big savings would be. They are supposed to be the leaders...well lead by example. :not_fair:

Let's go even further:

The real impact on the business are decisions made by the 20's and above, particularly the district manager and region manager level. I suggest that 50% of their salary be based on the MIP strategic goals. Since their MIP and Options and other goodies are based on their base salary, this would focus them really hard on the grow the business stuff, and stop micromanaging driver stops per on road hour.

I'm sick and tired of district managers who keep lobbying to put up an airplane to take down a feeder run, just because the plane sits on UPSCO's books, and not the local district. I consider someone who could do that too stupid to be a district manager, but right now, somewhere, someone is fighting for that.

And the blame is on the beancounters, because they have these accounting reports driving bad behavior. Ditto for IE.

RobRoy

We already got almost 10% pay cut; you just don't realize it. No 401K match = 3%. No pay increase = 2.5 to 5%. No promotions = 5%+. That is at least 5.5% and as high as 13% give or take.

Motownpride

We already got almost 10% pay cut; you just don't realize it. No 401K match = 3%. No pay increase = 2.5 to 5%. No promotions = 5%+. That is at least 5.5% and as high as 13% give or take.

You can't count what you don't have. If you worked for Lehamn brothers or other companies and you lost your job, a 10 % cut would be welcomed. Maybe even a 20-30% cut would now be acceptable.

UPS is a great company. The economy has alot to do with the stock price being in the low $50s. I am motivated and energized to move on and gain market share and profitable volume. We need to make ourselves into assets that can not be replaced.

We all know where the fat was and we know those that have not been contributing. They say it is over. Let's go and do what we are paid to do and move on !!!

air_upser

layoffs are over "for now". Healthcare is going to cost at least $3000 more next year for non-union families if you haven't been to the presenation yet. Would I take a 10% pay cut to bring back those who were let go? Some, maybe....especially those with over 20 years in. Others, no.

Dfigtree

You can't count what you don't have. If you worked for Lehamn brothers or other companies and you lost your job, a 10 % cut would be welcomed. Maybe even a 20-30% cut would now be acceptable.

UPS is a great company. The economy has alot to do with the stock price being in the low $50s. I am motivated and energized to move on and gain market share and profitable volume. We need to make ourselves into assets that can not be replaced.

We all know where the fat was and we know those that have not been contributing. They say it is over. Let's go and do what we are paid to do and move on !!!

MotoPride,

In retirement I still care about what is going on because

some of the people I care for are affected.
I still have a financial stake in the company.

"I am motivated and energized to move on and gain market share and profitable volume. We need to make ourselves into assets that cannot be replaced." Go ahead. Turn yourself into an asset. If you truly believe in what you wrote here then you are part of the problem, not the solution. It is clearly aimed at people other than those who contribute to this board.

"The economy has a lot to do with the stock price being in the low $50s." Maybe. Or maybe management's decision to go public (still unexplained to my satisfaction) had something to do with the price being overpriced at $80.

"We all know where the fat was " Where? And if you did know where the fat was then why didn't you tell somebody?

"UPS is a great company." How so?

"They say it is over." Who says?

whiskeyagogo

UPS is a great company? Others would say UPS has lost its way:
- Firing business partners while the board takes a 350% increase.
- The board taking *any* increase in the economic conditions.
- Outsourcing our core IT functions to other companies.

As for talk of 'the fat is gone' is bull and you know it. We all know people who are totally useless and just sucking up space and money. We all know their managers won't go through the trouble of PIP-ing them out the door. You can only hope they'll be going next instead of you. How is that living up to the legacy of partnership?

Last edited:

If UPS made an offer
take a 10% salary cut
would you do it?

Yes, I would. When we don't stand together and we let them split us apart one by one we will fall and that, my dear, will be the end of this great empire.

Bozo Bob

no raise, no 401k match, and kick back 10%---sounds good, where do I sign up?

how bout you retirees kicking some of your pension back to UPS -

or perhaps no LTIP this year for the big shots?

Don't forget getting the slow screw on MIP. Change the rules first and then just keep chippin' it away year after year. We've already HAD a 10% pay cut and then some.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't forget getting the slow screw on MIP. Change the rules first and then just keep chippin' it away year after year. We've already HAD a 10% pay cut and then some.

And don't forget how the reduced MIPs make your monthly retirement payments go down too. Every year, your estimated monthly payments go down because of the MIP effect.

Last edited:

And don't forget how the measly MIPs make your monthly retirement payments go down too. Every year, your estimated monthly payments go down because of the MIP effect.

We can't count on MIPs as they had planned to eliminate them years ago. Should we expect that we will see anything this year and in years to follow as we did in prior years? I doubt it.

G

gimmeabreak

and isn't it highest 5 of the last 10 years of your earnings? if you are close to retirement you shouldn't be affected by low or no MIP.