10 step plan

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What's the low down on the 10 step plan.
If you've been on board for 10 yrs. what step does that put you in. When does the next step happen? Every year at Oct. raise or, what?
The managers will get back to you about that.

Cough, cough!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Meaning, don't expect a raise next year.

Exactly. Actually, the 10-step plan is for new hires only. Here's how it works.

Day 1: Welcome to FedEx. We love you and FedEx Cares. You're happy to be on-board with a first-class company.

Day 2: Ride with a Purple Promise courier who blows smoke up your butt. Everything is great.

Day 3: Ride with a real courier, who gives you the straight story about the job and FedEx. You go home that night concerned and talk it over with the spouse.

Day 4: Surprise!! "We're short-handed and need you to run a route...blind. No worries though. We have DRA, but you don't have any training. Somehow, you make it through the day. More talk with the spouse.

Day 5: Late CTV and 10 sick calls. On the road again, but, ooops, no trucks or PowerPads. You wait until the FO drivers gets back and ride with one of them on "overflow P1". The courier tells you more truth about FedEx and informs you that your industry-leading benefits are worthless and that you'll never top out. A very serious talk with the spouse. You call the FO driver at home and he backs up what he said earlier in the day with his own story.

Day 6: More late freight, and a second sort. Lucky you. Back on the road with a rental van, and your manager tells you need to stay for the pickup cycle because we're "short-handed". They assign you a full route you've never done before. Don't worry, there will be "help", which never arrives. At 1630 you've done 5 pickups and you tell the dispatcher you're still delivering. Then you're told to go straight to the ramp with your outbound. Where's the ramp? You miss your afternoon college class and your daughter's dental appointment, which costs you $75.

Day 7: You tell your manager you can only work your assigned PT hours. He tells you that you need to be part of the team at FedEx. BTW, we're short-handed again and we need you to work this afternoon. When you say you can't, the manager huffily tells you he'll see you tomorrow early because the sort is scheduled that way.

Day 8: You show-up at 0615. "You didn't call the recorder? We aren't starting the sort until 0900 due to bad weather in MEM and a late aircraft". "Take a break until 0855 and don't clock-in until then." You're put to work unloading cans and then sent out on a "flex route with 65 stops". At 1430 you're still delivering, and then the pickups start coming across your PowerPad, which you barely know how to use. You call your manager on their cell phone and tell them you can't work late...no answer. Dispatch says they don't know what to tell you, and that your manager scheduled you to do pickups. You get home at 2000 and head straight to the liquor cabinet.

Day 9: Another late freight day. Once again, you arrive on-time only to be told to go on break until 0830, when the CTV is supposed to arrive. They hand you an Egg McMuffin. Everyone is pissed-off. The FO courier looks at you knowingly. Today, you leave after your deliveries, and the PM manager glares at you as he says "we have uncovered PM routes!" You go home and tell your spouse that FedEx sucks and that you're done.

Day 10: You quit.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Day 1: Welcome to FedEx. We love you and FedEx Cares. You're happy to be on-board with a first-class company.

Day 2: Ride with a Purple Promise courier who blows smoke up your butt. Everything is great.

Day 3: Ride with a real courier, who gives you the straight story about the job and FedEx. You go home that night concerned and talk it over with the spouse.

Day 4: Surprise!! "We're short-handed and need you to run a route...blind. No worries though. We have DRA, but you don't have any training. Somehow, you make it through the day. More talk with the spouse.

Day 5: Late CTV and 10 sick calls. On the road again, but, ooops, no trucks or PowerPads. You wait until the FO drivers gets back and ride with one of them on "overflow P1". The courier tells you more truth about FedEx and informs you that your industry-leading benefits are worthless and that you'll never top out. A very serious talk with the spouse. You call the FO driver at home and he backs up what he said earlier in the day with his own story.

Day 6: More late freight, and a second sort. Lucky you. Back on the road with a rental van, and your manager tells you need to stay for the pickup cycle because we're "short-handed". They assign you a full route you've never done before. Don't worry, there will be "help", which never arrives. At 1630 you've done 5 pickups and you tell the dispatcher you're still delivering. Then you're told to go straight to the ramp with your outbound. Where's the ramp? You miss your afternoon college class and your daughter's dental appointment, which costs you $75.

Day 7: You tell your manager you can only work your assigned PT hours. He tells you that you need to be part of the team at FedEx. BTW, we're short-handed again and we need you to work this afternoon. When you say you can't, the manager huffily tells you he'll see you tomorrow early because the sort is scheduled that way.

Day 8: You show-up at 0615. "You didn't call the recorder? We aren't starting the sort until 0900 due to bad weather in MEM and a late aircraft". "Take a break until 0855 and don't clock-in until then." You're put to work unloading cans and then sent out on a "flex route with 65 stops". At 1430 you're still delivering, and then the pickups start coming across your PowerPad, which you barely know how to use. You call your manager on their cell phone and tell them you can't work late...no answer. Dispatch says they don't know what to tell you, and that your manager scheduled you to do pickups. You get home at 2000 and head straight to the liquor cabinet.

Day 9: Another late freight day. Once again, you arrive on-time only to be told to go on break until 0830, when the CTV is supposed to arrive. They hand you an Egg McMuffin. Everyone is :censored2:-off. The FO courier looks at you knowingly. Today, you leave after your deliveries, and the PM manager glares at you as he says "we have uncovered PM routes!" You go home and tell your spouse that FedEx sucks and that you're done.

Yep. Pretty much.

And Memphis wonders why they can't retain new hires.

Purplepackage

Day 9: Another late freight day. Once again, you arrive on-time only to be told to go on break until 0830, when the CTV is supposed to arrive. They hand you an Egg McMuffin. Everyone is :censored2:-off. The FO courier looks at you knowingly. Today, you leave after your deliveries, and the PM manager glares at you as he says "we have uncovered PM routes!" You go home and tell your spouse that FedEx sucks and that you're done.

This is great lol but wait there's a hole in your scenario

At my station part timers are no longer allowed to deliver any p2 at all. Honestly most of them come in to unload take a break and reload. I assume they will all quit soon

Slick silver

Step 5 reminds of a lot of this past year. I can't believe this company doesn't have enough trucks, which would shock a lot of people outside this company. But I guess when new hires keep wrecking them and or don't do a proper pre trip it's bound to happen. So many times I've gotten into a truck and had little to no oil. I always will tell a new hire, do a proper pre trip, don't assume the trucks is fine.

DontThrowPackages

Step 5 reminds of a lot of this past year. I can't believe this company doesn't have enough trucks, which would shock a lot of people outside this company. But I guess when new hires keep wrecking them and or don't do a proper pre trip it's bound to happen. So many times I've gotten into a truck and had little to no oil. I always will tell a new hire, do a proper pre trip, don't assume the trucks is fine.
Our station, New hires and PT'ers don't have to refuel the truck they've used. Most have the mentality of, as long as there's enough fumes to get back to the station great. Full time drivers complain to management but no discipline is never coming.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our station, New hires and PT'ers don't have to refuel the truck they've used. Most have the mentality of, as long as there's enough fumes to get back to the station great. Full time drivers complain to management but no discipline is never coming.

Our Saturday air drivers and certain cover drivers also feel that they don't have to refuel, which really ticks off the bid driver.

PT Car Washer

Our Saturday air drivers and certain cover drivers also feel that they don't have to refuel, which really ticks off the bid driver.
Mostly because the bid driver runs the fuel tank down in hopes that the Saturday drivers will have to fill up. And even when the Saturday drivers don't use that truck, the drivers still complain that they "did not fill my tank". It is all one big game.

MAKAVELI

Mostly because the bid driver runs the fuel tank down in hopes that the Saturday drivers will have to fill up. And even when the Saturday drivers don't use that truck, the drivers still complain that they "did not fill my tank". It is all one big game.
Some people just like to bitch and complain about something.

dezguy

I have to fuel my Sprinter every two days. Fortunately I get back late and hide the keys, so I'm basically the only person who drives it, unless I'm off. :)
We have a junior employee who always "forgets her keys in her pocket" so no one takes "her" truck. Funny thing is, there was a Saturday I knew she was going to run a route and wanted to use the truck assigned to the route I do so I "forgot" my keys in my pocket.

The following Monday she went and bitched to management that I hid the keys on her. She didn't count on management telling her to get lost and stop wasting their time because she does the same thing. :lol:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We have a junior employee who always "forgets her keys in her pocket" so no one takes "her" truck. Funny thing is, there was a Saturday I knew she was going to run a route and wanted to use the truck assigned to the route I do so I "forgot" my keys in my pocket.

The following Monday she went and bitched to management that I hid the keys on her. She didn't count on management telling her to get lost and stop wasting their time because she does the same thing. :lol:

The only time any one needs to use my truck is when I'm off or on the rare instance I leave early. When I leave early, I always hand my keys directly to a PM driver so I know who is driving it. (Yeah, yeah, I know it's not MY truck. Lol)