10 years behind the wheel- random observations

coolslice

Things have become increasingly worse at my center. UPS clearly has too many systems that compete with each other, and as a driver, you cannot please all of them. You must pick which "goal" you are trying to obtain each day, and be prepared to be called on your failures in other areas that suffer because you tried to meet one of the other goals.

-Orion sucks. It is yet another system that doesn't work, but the only people that must answer to it are the drivers. It comes from the top that you must follow it, or else. However, UPS refuses to make it mandatory, probably because they know what the consequences are. they are content to implement a failure and blame the poor results on the drivers. Just this week, we had a driver run in 60% range, but beat his miles by 22. He was told by the supervisor that they didn't give a damn if he was 100 miles over, he needed to be above 85%. Just think about that for a second... If Orion worked, then why not make it mandatory? You run it, or you get canned. If the system works, why won't UPS shoulder the blame of the results?

-The Union (at least in my area) is a total joke. This past contract, there was supposed to be a 9.5 "list" you could get on. Management will not even acknowledge such a list when drivers have asked to be put on it. The union does nothing, and the company continues to raise stop counts and work driver 11+ hours a day. IMHO, there is no longer a need for a union when the company intimidates them and ultimately does what it wants to anyway. That is an extra $20 a week I could put in my pocket.

-This is not a job where one can be expected to work at this level for 35 years before retirement. At this point in time, if your body, and or your family is able to withstand 20-25 years of this, you should be rewarded with a nice retirement.

-We are losing all of our business to the post office. We are delivering half a truck to most local post offices now. UPS has been able to shift volume to the USPS and it has allowed them to run a skeleton crew of drivers. I have noticed that the push for sales leads has disappeared, probably because UPS can no longer pull off the lie of what they claim will happen if we get more business. The more business they get, the more that will go to the USPS and the more work the remaining drivers will be left to do.

-Since most of our smaller and medium sized boxes have gone to the USPS, we are left with nothing but large,heavy boxes. I believe within a few years, a p1000 will not be big enough to hold all the daily deliveries for the average route. Couple that fact with Orion telling you your fist stop is on a shelf you can't see, let alone get to, and you have a big problem.

-Moving forward, UPS will need to greatly improve how they work and treat their employees. This is no longer a desirable job. The current generation has no desire to be worked this hard or treated like a criminal that just hasn't been caught yet. We have seen in the past two peak seasons that the pool of people capable and willing to do this job even for a month is EXTREMELY small. No one signs the driver intent sheet at our building anymore. Once UPS loses the current generation of drivers through attrition, retirement, or firings, they are going to have a hard time replacing these workers.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Unknown.png

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Best not to think about anything other than yourself. Once you start doing that, all their garbage goes by the wayside. Learn to file, file, file grievances!

tumblr_mt96e1NmPO1qii6tmo1_500.gif

T

Turdferguson

Things have become increasingly worse at my center. UPS clearly has too many systems that compete with each other, and as a driver, you cannot please all of them. You must pick which "goal" you are trying to obtain each day, and be prepared to be called on your failures in other areas that suffer because you tried to meet one of the other goals.

-Orion sucks. It is yet another system that doesn't work, but the only people that must answer to it are the drivers. It comes from the top that you must follow it, or else. However, UPS refuses to make it mandatory, probably because they know what the consequences are. they are content to implement a failure and blame the poor results on the drivers. Just this week, we had a driver run in 60% range, but beat his miles by 22. He was told by the supervisor that they didn't give a damn if he was 100 miles over, he needed to be above 85%. Just think about that for a second... If Orion worked, then why not make it mandatory? You run it, or you get canned. If the system works, why won't UPS shoulder the blame of the results?

-The Union (at least in my area) is a total joke. This past contract, there was supposed to be a 9.5 "list" you could get on. Management will not even acknowledge such a list when drivers have asked to be put on it. The union does nothing, and the company continues to raise stop counts and work driver 11+ hours a day. IMHO, there is no longer a need for a union when the company intimidates them and ultimately does what it wants to anyway. That is an extra $20 a week I could put in my pocket.

-This is not a job where one can be expected to work at this level for 35 years before retirement. At this point in time, if your body, and or your family is able to withstand 20-25 years of this, you should be rewarded with a nice retirement.

-We are losing all of our business to the post office. We are delivering half a truck to most local post offices now. UPS has been able to shift volume to the USPS and it has allowed them to run a skeleton crew of drivers. I have noticed that the push for sales leads has disappeared, probably because UPS can no longer pull off the lie of what they claim will happen if we get more business. The more business they get, the more that will go to the USPS and the more work the remaining drivers will be left to do.

-Since most of our smaller and medium sized boxes have gone to the USPS, we are left with nothing but large,heavy boxes. I believe within a few years, a p1000 will not be big enough to hold all the daily deliveries for the average route. Couple that fact with Orion telling you your fist stop is on a shelf you can't see, let alone get to, and you have a big problem.

-Moving forward, UPS will need to greatly improve how they work and treat their employees. This is no longer a desirable job. The current generation has no desire to be worked this hard or treated like a criminal that just hasn't been caught yet. We have seen in the past two peak seasons that the pool of people capable and willing to do this job even for a month is EXTREMELY small. No one signs the driver intent sheet at our building anymore. Once UPS loses the current generation of drivers through attrition, retirement, or firings, they are going to have a hard time replacing these workers.
The union is only as strong as its members. How many grievances have YOU filed on 9.5? Stand up for yourself and stop expecting someone else to do it for you.
If the post office is getting "all" our volume what are you delivering for 11 hours a day?

Some legit thoughts, some off base. I have 27 years full time package car and am 59 years old. We don't use Orion yet, so I can't comment there. As far as the union, I can say you are much better with. If you don't walk the company line all the time you will need union representation at some point. This is to your advantage, believe me. There are so many sups and managers out there now trying to climb the corporate ladder on your back. One conflict could cost your job. Someone in the union will be on your side. The older you get, the less of the spineless B.S. You can take.
As far as USPS, yes they do get a lot of our work. I still have a fair amount of smalls, so they don't get all of it. My guess is residential deliveries will continue to increase, with enough work for everybody. If USPS is our main competitor, we win hands down. Most mailmen despise packages. Their service proves it.
As far as going forward, I agree a lot needs to be changed. The last 5 or so years supervision has changed. It is hard to respect someone half your age telling you how to do your job, when they have no experience doing that same job. Way easier working for an experienced guy with package car knowledge, but sadly, that is a dying breed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is hard to respect someone half your age telling you how to do your job, when they have no experience doing that same job. Way easier working for an experienced guy with package car knowledge, but sadly, that is a dying breed.

It's because hipster Teamsters will not go into management that UPS has to promote and hire driver sups from the non-Package Driver ranks.
You want to see the problem?
Go look in the mirror!!!

Bottom rung

It's because hipster Teamsters will not go into management that UPS has to promote and hire driver sups from the non-Package Driver ranks.
You want to see the problem?
Go look in the mirror!!!
Oh....now I get it. Here I thought drivers didn't want to go into management because they get :censored2: on from corporate, harassed and fired for their employees not being able to maintain unattainable metrics. Thanks for making sense of all this . I can see clearly now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh....now I get it. Here I thought drivers didn't want to go into management because they get :censored2: on from corporate, harassed and fired for their employees not being able to maintain unattainable metrics. Thanks for making sense of all this . I can see clearly now.
You are welcome.
I am the High Priest of Crystal Vision.

Photog, If going into full time management was a good option, why aren't more drivers going? Good jobs attract good people. UPS took their playbook from the old Soviet Union. It appears you think the same way.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Photog, If going into full time management was a good option, why aren't more drivers going? Good jobs attract good people. UPS took their playbook from the old Soviet Union. It appears you think the same way.
Comrade, you are the one complaining about package driver supervisors not being ex-package drivers.
If you are not willing to step up to podium, then don't complain.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
30 years for me this month. And I have to say, I agree "almost" entirely with the op. Disagreements: We are not losing ALL our business to the post office, although, we are diverting a significant amount of delivery volume to USPS. I have no idea how many pieces are diverted on an average, daily basis, but it has to equate to many hundreds of routes (FT driving jobs) that UPS is “sending” away. And secondly, our local is pretty darn good. They are easily accessible, quick to respond to grievances, and work aggressively to settle contract violations. But, other than that, I have to say that my 30 year view agrees with the op’s 10 year view. This is very sad, but very true.

Brownslave, in the previous post, correctly and concisely tells how we all need to think about our remaining time at UPS.

coolslice

Clearly, we have some company men and some union men that are offended by my observations. That is to be expected, but these are MY observations.

First, on the 9.5 list, it only exists on the paper that is our worthless master contract. It does not exist in real life. Good luck getting management to even acknowledge it, let alone honor it. The union doesn't care about how we are treated at work, they only care about getting our dues. That may not be how it works at your center, but it is in ours. Sure, I could file a grievance over something that doesn't actually exist, but all grievances do is piss off management to the point where they will try to harass you or terminate you for something like not grabbing a handrail. Again, you experiences may be different, but that's how it works at my place. Non one has won a grievance against a 9.5 yet, and people no longer file because they know it's a waste of time and the end result is putting a target on your back while still getting a daily 10.5 hour dispatch.

The union is intimidated by UPS more than the workers are. The union knows it's days of being a useful entity have long since passed, and people are wising up to the shakedown that it is. It's hard for me to stomach their propaganda anymore. They create a climate of fear in order to take some of your pay. I don't know about you guys, but when you step back and look at our jobs, we are the poster children for the war on workers, and yet people are too stupid to realize that what we do and the expectations placed on our time and bodies is not normal.

Anyone that has delivered surepost for any length of time knows that the volume going to the USPS has increased dramatically. I don't recall taking a P1000 full of packages to a single post office when I started, but it's common now. What about those "size limits" that were in the contract? We used to primarily deliver bags of clothing and small boxes there, these days large boxes are common.

The reason we are still working 11 hour days is because subcontracting out to the USPS has allowed UPS to cut routes while volume actually increases. The stop counts increase every year and the number of drivers is stagnate or decreasing. That's how our workload, hours of work, and the USPS packages are all increasing. It's allocation of increasing volume.

I'm sure that some of you will be like, "Go get another job, but you won't make as much." Perhaps, but it has reached a point with me that if doing what I do, safely and efficiently delivering and picking up packages, isn't good enough then it's time to move on. I will continue to do my job, but I'm not going to be a victim of intimidation and distorted versions of reality.

I personally believe UPS is at a turning point, where the job, the customers, and the employees no longer matter. It's all about numbers that no longer are rooted in reality. UPS is on the verge of a public relations disaster, because they have lost their way and forgotten what the job is actually about.

coolslice

Op they have you right where they want you. You're too worried about pleasing their numbers. I got an idea just do the job safe and at a safe pace.

I'm not worried about pleasing their numbers, because they can't be pleased. If you have Orion, which is what my rant is mostly about, then you know what I mean. UPS is so wrapped up in this technology that they refuse to admit it doesn't work. Orion has me delivering a school at 18:17. It has me doing residential before air. It has me delivering large businesses at 1600. When the customer wants to know why they don't get their stuff until nearly closing time, I asked management for a reply to tell the angry customers. I was told to tell them that they're not the only one who has a business to run.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not worried about pleasing their numbers, because they can't be pleased. If you have Orion, which is what my rant is mostly about, then you know what I mean. UPS is so wrapped up in this technology that they refuse to admit it doesn't work. Orion has me delivering a school at 18:17. It has me doing residential before air. It has me delivering large businesses at 1600. When the customer wants to know why they don't get their stuff until nearly closing time, I asked management for a reply to tell the angry customers. I was told to tell them that they're not the only one who has a business to run.
You're making this so hard. Run Orion as close to 100% as possible. File 9.5. If they won't file them keep moving up
The Union ladder or file NLRB charges. Finally direct all customer complaints to the 800 number.