1000 jobs gone by next peak

705red

Browncafe Steward
I sure hope Hall puts his foot down and does not allow our work to be sold to the lowest bidder which will cost us good paying secure jobs. But I dont expect much from him as long as hes marching to Hoffa's beat. Nothing like giving a company whos profiting millions, while laying off our current work force the oppurtunity to give away more of our jobs.

island1fox

:sad-little:On a different thread over one year ago concerning the reduction of the Regions and Districts I mentioned that UPS was facing a Revenue per piece vs a Cost per piece serious problem.
Labor and management costs were rising way faster than increase in revenue. Customers still demand huge discounts while operating costs rose with Labor contract restrictions and grievances. Most (not all)) drivers want to make more money ,have better pension and benefits but work less overtime.
Upper and mid managament were reduced drastically, Ups put less drivers on the road with increased loads and overtime --grievances on excess ot in many areas has skyrocketed.
The next phase is to replace high cost to serve volume(one piece highly discounted) with heavy multiple piece low mileage volume.
1. Reduced Management
2. Reduce drivers-less overtime--less grievances
3. Keep customers happy by delivering low revenue parcels with lower cost options.
4. Reduce need for more buildings, vechicles etc.
The result a leaner , meaner UPS -Much less management and houry--a much smaller company but in todays world a surviving union company.
Many people scoffed at this last year in the District Consolidation thread. Ups plans long term and implements very slowly --lets see what the future holds!!!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Also of note to UPSSalesGuy is that this service will be open to more types of shipping systems. I believe currently Basic is supported in WorldShip, Host, and Vendor? It expands it to basically all transmitting system types besides EDI.

yes, this i know is true, as well as it appears there will be rates for packages less than 1 lb, also revenue from these new services will count towards customers revenue tiers, thus bundling this business as part of the other "brown" business.

Basic is hell on wheels to set up - need a new account, seperate contract, not a lot of ryme or reason to when it gets dumped into the PO.

I personally can't wait - i've never been able to sell a service UPS has a competative advantage on in my 6.5 years at UPS. don't try to tell me 2nd day air AM. haha.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When we are allowed to start providing service, you can start selling it. We can start with getting routes back to delivering business in the AM and getting us out on the street before 9. No more excuses.

tieguy

Banned
I sure hope Hall puts his foot down and does not allow our work to be sold to the lowest bidder which will cost us good paying secure jobs. But I dont expect much from him as long as hes marching to Hoffa's beat. Nothing like giving a company whos profiting millions, while laying off our current work force the oppurtunity to give away more of our jobs.

does your union keep any kind of monthly stats on job gains? I can see them losing jobs two years ago and even last year. I cant imagine them losing jobs right now with the economy slowly coming out of its recession.

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex Ground has offered a similar option to shippers for the las couple years. They call it SmartPost and it accounted for a good portion of the record peak season we had this year.

island1fox

When we are allowed to start providing service, you can start selling it. We can start with getting routes back to delivering business in the AM and getting us out on the street before 9. No more excuses.

brownmonster,
Look at what is being discussed on other threads and put all of the pieces together.
1. Region and District Consolidations.
2. Reductions in operational management
3. Post office declining first class mail volumes because of internet, they need work.
4. UPS one year ago takes routes off road increases dispatch and overtime --grievances skyrocket.
5. UPS introduces post office solution.
6. Air drivers being eliminated in some districts.
7. Start drivers earlier to deliver business and air in AM no time for pm resi's.
8. Union complaining to company about excessive overtime.
9. Less residential to deliver by UPS drivers on overtime as post office solutions are expanded.
10. Eventually UPS is a business to business, high revenue multiple pkg per stop company that can keep up with Union demands and constaints.
UPS has already started going down the road of a much smaller ,less rural -eliminate high mileage low volume high ot routes.
It will have less management,Drivers working less hours and in the long run much higher profits that will enable the stock to finally grow each year rather that than bounce up and down between 63--73 where it has been for twelve years.
When people complain that the UNION should intervene --the company will review all of the OT grievances and will tell the union they have listened and responded.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
brownmonster,
Look at what is being discussed on other threads and put all of the pieces together.
3. Post office declining first class mail volumes because of internet, they need work.
4. UPS one year ago takes routes off road increases dispatch and overtime --grievances skyrocket.
7. Start drivers earlier to deliver business and air in AM no time for pm resi's.
9. Less residential to deliver by UPS drivers on overtime as post office solutions are expanded.
10. Eventually UPS is a business to business, high revenue multiple pkg per stop company that can keep up with Union demands and constaints.
UPS has already started going down the road of a much smaller ,less rural -eliminate high mileage low volume high ot routes.
It will have less management,Drivers working less hours and in the long run much higher profits that will enable the stock to finally grow each year rather that than bounce up and down between 63--73 where it has been for twelve years.
When people complain that the UNION should intervene --the company will review all of the OT grievances and will tell the union they have listened and responded.

In my area at least the union has already made multiple concessions to the company in regards to the over 9.5 language. Currently it is only the bid-route drivers or drivers who have been on the same route for one full week who are eligible to file.

I can also say that the overwhelming majority of drivers I work with do not mind a reasonable amount of OT. Most of them have no need or desire to file as long as they are kept in the 9.5 to 10.2 range. I myself went the first 23 years of my driving career without ever once filing a 9.5 grievance.

That all changed last summer when our center was given an impossible stops-per-car metric to attain. We had drivers working 13 and 14 hour days as a matter of routine. We had drivers running out of DOT hours in August. We had drivers knocking on doors and delivering residential stops at 10:30 at night, and bringing dozens of missed stops back as late as 11:00 PM. At that point, a 9.5 grievance isnt about greed for money and it isnt about being lazy or unwilling to work overtime...its about survival for employees who have been driven to the breaking point or beyond.

What was being forced down our throats by Corporate was not rational, and constituted a willful and intentional violation of the labor agreement. It was bad for the employees, it was bad for the customers, and it was bad for UPS.

browniehound

Fedex Ground has offered a similar option to shippers for the las couple years. They call it SmartPost and it accounted for a good portion of the record peak season we had this year.

Ya know, Fed-Ex ground is a 2nd class organization and I say this half kidding because I understand they are a real threat to UPS jobs. However, their behavior on the road speaks volumes on the class of its people. An incident yesterday epitomized their ignorance and confirmed to me that they just don't get "it".

It was snowing 5-7 inches here yesterday so I left my house at 545 for an 835 start (usually leave at 740). It was nasty out. Very slippery, blinding snowfall. If you were coming down a hill and someone decided to cut you off, you would slide right into him. Also, there was poor visabilty from the prior storms snowbanks. You literally have to pull 1/4 of the way out in the street just to see if its clear.

So anyway, I'm driving about 25 on a normally 40 MPH road and I'm thanking God that the person behind me is doing the same and staying back at least 1/8 of a mile. I think he is the only other sensible driver on the road. Well, behind him is a Fed-Ex ground truck that is riding his tail big-time. We are on a state, two-lane, double yellow line, residential highway and I can see the Fed-Ex truck trying to pass the car behind me but he can't do it because of oncoming traffic. All three of us eventually come to a light and we go after it turns green and the Fed-Ex driver illegally passes me and the driver behind me.

I can say a ton about this but I'll try to be brief. What a Farging A Hole. I mean that unproffesional behavior is totally off the scale that it screams an arrest and not just a ticket. Wreckless driving and public endangerment would be my charge!

What are they teaching their drivers? Certainly not defensive driving skills! They always nose-in to parking spots and have the bulk door open 100% of the time. They idle the truck with the vehicle unsecured while they make deliveries inside buildings. I mean, how can they compete with UPS with all these safety violations?

And one last comment: What the hell was this guys rush? It was 615 in the AM and he has no time commit packages, right?

Sorry, I just couldn't believe it.

pretzel_man

In my area at least the union has already made multiple concessions to the company in regards to the over 9.5 language. Currently it is only the bid-route drivers or drivers who have been on the same route for one full week who are eligible to file.

I can also say that the overwhelming majority of drivers I work with do not mind a reasonable amount of OT. Most of them have no need or desire to file as long as they are kept in the 9.5 to 10.2 range. I myself went the first 23 years of my driving career without ever once filing a 9.5 grievance.

That all changed last summer when our center was given an impossible stops-per-car metric to attain. We had drivers working 13 and 14 hour days as a matter of routine. We had drivers running out of DOT hours in August. We had drivers knocking on doors and delivering residential stops at 10:30 at night, and bringing dozens of missed stops back as late as 11:00 PM. At that point, a 9.5 grievance isnt about greed for money and it isnt about being lazy or unwilling to work overtime...its about survival for employees who have been driven to the breaking point or beyond.

What was being forced down our throats by Corporate was not rational, and constituted a willful and intentional violation of the labor agreement. It was bad for the employees, it was bad for the customers, and it was bad for UPS.[/QUOTE]

Corporate does NOT dictate the local SPC or dispatch plan.

Ask your division manager if he / she was told how many cars to put on road.

Let me know if he / she thinks the dispatch is not owned by local management.

I have never seen one believe they didn't control their own plan.

island1fox

pretzelman,
While I usually agree with you I do not believe that you are totally up front with sober. The business plan is the sum of all of its parts. Are you tellling sober that the local operator put together their plan and it was just accepted by region and corporate --we both know better.
Corporate predicts the volume and stops level, the projected revenue per pc and the total cost. The 20 districts and the three region plans equal the total corporate plan.
It is a little too juvenile to claim the local management control dispatch and cost -have you ever been on a region or corporate conference call --each section,center,division,region must make the planned spc and dispatch.

For sober , maybe some agreement and concessions in your area on ot-thats great to hear but the national panel is flooded with overtime grievances ,it remains a huge problem for the company and the union. It continues to be a major topic of discussion by many on the Brown cafe.:wink2:

pretzel_man

pretzelman,
While I usually agree with you I do not believe that you are totally up front with sober. The business plan is the sum of all of its parts. Are you tellling sober that the local operator put together their plan and it was just accepted by region and corporate --we both know better.
Corporate predicts the volume and stops level, the projected revenue per pc and the total cost. The 20 districts and the three region plans equal the total corporate plan.
It is a little too juvenile to claim the local management control dispatch and cost -have you ever been on a region or corporate conference call --each section,center,division,region must make the planned spc and dispatch.

For sober , maybe some agreement and concessions in your area on ot-thats great to hear but the national panel is flooded with overtime grievances ,it remains a huge problem for the company and the union. It continues to be a major topic of discussion by many on the Brown cafe.:wink2:

Yes, numbers DO roll up. District, Region and Corporate won't accept rollup plans that are out of line with cost targets... This is true.

On the other hand, local operators determine the SPC, performance, paid day, etc.

I have seen many, many centers and districts change their SPC plan to reduce paid day. It is NOT dictated by Corporate.

Here is the one thing I assure you will NOT be tolerated...... If the SPC is lowered, the paid day MUST reduce the appropriate amount. Ov/un would need to remain the same or improve.

Local operations (at the division level) create all those plans. Ask the Division Manager.

island1fox

Yes, numbers DO roll up. District, Region and Corporate won't accept rollup plans that are out of line with cost targets... This is true.

On the other hand, local operators determine the SPC, performance, paid day, etc.

I have seen many, many centers and districts change their SPC plan to reduce paid day. It is NOT dictated by Corporate.

Here is the one thing I assure you will NOT be tolerated...... If the SPC is lowered, the paid day MUST reduce the appropriate amount. Ov/un would need to remain the same or improve.

Local operations (at the division level) create all those plans. Ask the Division Manager.

pretzelman,
The spor,pph other production elements the increases year to year are dictated from corporate to region ---right down to the Division manager that must submit HIS plan that can only have a certain amount of onroad hours--you can say it is his plan but the number of drivers are dictated by the forced production elements. We can both get very technical but the reality of the situation is the planned spor must meet plan which is directly related to the total stops, spc and dispatch.
If the operator wants to lower the paid day he must improve performance which is in HIS plan that was dictated to him !!!! We can play with words forever but you and I know that perfomance increases are built into the:wink2: plan --if the operator can get more work done in less time ---well whole other discussion.
Bottom line spc and dispatch all attached to CORPORATE plan

tourists24

pretzelman,
The spor,pph other production elements the increases year to year are dictated from corporate to region ---right down to the Division manager that must submit HIS plan that can only have a certain amount of onroad hours--you can say it is his plan but the number of drivers are dictated by the forced production elements. We can both get very technical but the reality of the situation is the planned spor must meet plan which is directly related to the total stops, spc and dispatch.
If the operator wants to lower the paid day he must improve performance which is in HIS plan that was dictated to him !!!! We can play with words forever but you and I know that perfomance increases are built into the:wink2: plan --if the operator can get more work done in less time ---well whole other discussion.
Island,,, you are the man.... guys like Pretzel may have honorable intentions, but in reality, they just dont relate to the grunt doing the work.

island1fox

Island,,, you are the man.... guys like Pretzel may have honorable intentions, but in reality, they just dont relate to the grunt doing the work.

tourist24,
I firmly believe prezel is a good person with strong beliefs. I am a retired UPSer that performed all operational ups jobs from hourlie to many different management levels. I know UPS after 36 great years --it is a great company but demanding -no one has an easy job. Being retired (but staying in touch with active upsers) I believe many issues are alot clearer when you are away from the day to day smoke of battle. I respect all ups people regardless of their personal opinions--but I firmly believe with all my being --I know UPS !!!:happy2:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I believe you. I've talked with my division manager about SPC and he corroborated your statement.
tourist24,
I firmly believe prezel is a good person with strong beliefs. I am a retired UPSer that performed all operational ups jobs from hourlie to many different management levels. I know UPS after 36 great years --it is a great company but demanding -no one has an easy job. Being retired (but staying in touch with active upsers) I believe many issues are alot clearer when you are away from the day to day smoke of battle. I respect all ups people regardless of their personal opinions--but I firmly believe with all my being --I know UPS !!!:happy2:

Re-Raise

pretzelman,

Maybe p-man will finally concede this.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
brownmonster,

11. There more to the "We Love Logistics" slogan than a catchy tune.
12. The company publicly announcing that they will not seek major acquisitions in lieu of increased dividends is likely to throw off the scent of their true intentions.
13. FedEx Ground is growing very fast.
14. UPS is struggling to hang on to ground business.
15. In time, FedEx will overcome UPS is they don't figure out a less costly option for ground delivery.