1000 jobs gone by next peak

705red

Browncafe Steward
Island, can you come back out of retirement? Your kind is missing from this company. Not a knock at Pman, I like as well, but your attitude was one that helped make this company successful.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm not so sure the problem is the On Car Supe, rather the ever increasing expectations and ever decreasing allowances.
The good old days of On Cars vs. todays On Cars is skewed by unrealistic expectations.
I have been on the same, unchanged, urban route for 10+ years and have seen the amount of work required to dispatch increase year after year.
I have watched myself go from a bonus driver, to a scratch driver, to being as much as an hour overallowed daily.
The reality of the situation is that I'm in my mid-forties and am destine to decline physically, but that isn't the case to date.
No On Car Supe can change that fact and none to date has found a way to squeeze anymore from me.
Arbitrarily conceived numbers are being felt by most, especially management.
I have chosen to disregard these numbers, their only effect being on my paycheck.

Not IN Trace

Ok..let me get this right...the USPS is losing billions of taxpayer dollars a year....so the goverment is going to let UPS, FEDEX make all the profit picking up the parcels and let the taxpayers lose all the money delivering them?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok..let me get this right...the USPS is losing billions of taxpayer dollars a year....so the goverment is going to let UPS, FEDEX make all the profit picking up the parcels and let the taxpayers lose all the money delivering them?

Even the Post Office can't screw this one up. We do all of the leg work and all they have to do is make a delivery to an address that they are already going to.

I am curious as to whether the P.O. will accept the deliveries as P-man described above (UPS driver scans barcode on forever bag only) or will they insist that the bags be emptied and each package scanned, which would defeat the purpose from our point of view.

pretzel_man

Even the Post Office can't screw this one up. We do all of the leg work and all they have to do is make a delivery to an address that they are already going to.

I am curious as to whether the P.O. will accept the deliveries as P-man described above (UPS driver scans barcode on forever bag only) or will they insist that the bags be emptied and each package scanned, which would defeat the purpose from our point of view.

There will be a single scan by the driver. The smalls will be bagged in the preload.

evilleace

The only reason I see a problem with this is because in my town at least the regular postal carrier does not deliver the basic packages, I see USPS package cars going around delivering basic and smartpost packages, and know this from experience as I have had a few basic deliveries to my house even though I live in town. So I can not possibly see how the USPS could make money dispatching another employee to deliver these packages.

Not IN Trace

When the losses reach 10, 15, maybe 20 billion a year I think the american people and maybe some congressman will want to know why UPS is making billions off the us taxpayer?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
P.S. Hoax,
Not that I have anything against Corporate but I disagree with one of your comments.
The SUCCESSFUL District Manager always kept his or her finger on the pulse.
For them being in a center before dispatch,bs'ing with the drivers at the coffee wagon or in the cafeteria was a real +.
Today with only 20 Districts I hope that in between meetings and visiting customers the District Manager would take time to "smell the package dust"
There are not too many customers they can visit at 7;30 to 8;30 in the morning or during the driver check in pm.:happy2:

I can't disagree island. It was not so much a comment as an observation.
~ 2500 centers / 20 Dist Mgrs = 125 centers per Dist Mgr. A dedicated and determined Dist Mgr might make 1 visit per center per year but unlikely and his/her performance will not be judged on # of center visits. It wasn't easy before the consolidation but now it is much harder.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When the losses reach 10, 15, maybe 20 billion a year I think the american people and maybe some congressman will want to know why UPS is making billions off the us taxpayer?

When the USPS losses reach billions?
The USPS has averaged a 1 billion profit per year for the last 5 years.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Sure they do, even when Im ordering online or over the phone I am giving an option. You dont see many customers being loyal to any one shipping customer

Hoke, I think you may be confusing carrier with service level. The consignee most definitely makes the determination of which carrier they prefer when they place their order--the larger the consignee,

I dont know who you guys are ordering through but shippers definitely dictate carrier to the consignee. If you go online you definitely get forced to use their choice. In some cases you can dictate ups as your choice in the remarks column when you order online.

if you want to use UPS with fdx sites then you generally have to call it in and request ups. Even then some shippers refuse to do so.

Those shippers that use the post office tend to be the most rigid when it comes to offering other carriers. I had a nice email battle going with one guy who sells fantasy football draft kits but refuses to ship them ups. He had the better product but I would not buy from him due to his refusing to ship ups.

to me its one of those quirks that drives me nuts. I have to pay for shipping but they dictate the carrier if you let them. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for the post office when the only tracking service you recieve is the delivery scan.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know who you guys are ordering through but shippers definitely dictate carrier to the consignee. If you go online you definitely get forced to use their choice. In some cases you can dictate ups as your choice in the remarks column when you order online.

if you want to use UPS with fdx sites then you generally have to call it in and request ups. Even then some shippers refuse to do so.

Those shippers that use the post office tend to be the most rigid when it comes to offering other carriers. I had a nice email battle going with one guy who sells fantasy football draft kits but refuses to ship them ups. He had the better product but I would not buy from him due to his refusing to ship ups.

to me its one of those quirks that drives me nuts. I have to pay for shipping but they dictate the carrier if you let them. I'm not sure why anyone would pay for the post office when the only tracking service you recieve is the delivery scan.
Yes, I love it when its sitting out in the rain or snow before their site shows it has shipped.

JonFrum

The USPS hasn't run on taxpayer dollars since the early 1980's.

The Postal Service is an independent organization mandated by Congress to break even over time. If they loose money, they have to cut expenses or services or raise prices to bring their books into balance. There is no yearly taxpayer bailout. Costs are paid by mailers who purchase stamps. The taxpayer subsidy was slowly eliminated by the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970.

Island, can you come back out of retirement? Your kind is missing from this company. Not a knock at Pman, I like as well, but your attitude was one that helped make this company successful.

That's because he's old ups. Don't you remember back then when you liked your job and knew you made a difference. He was one of your old bosses. He retired now you've got the yes man now.

Not IN Trace

Uh Hoaxster...what planet are you on?...from the usps own website....$8.5 billion 2010 year loss.
who do you think makes up the difference?
Last time I checked the usps has no stock or bond holders.
and since the usps IS a goverment operation the us tresuary pays the difference...thats you the taxpayer.

JonFrum

Uh Hoaxster...what planet are you on?...from the usps own website....$8.5 billion 2010 year loss.
and since the usps IS a goverment operation the us tresuary pays the difference...thats you the taxpayer

Wow. This myth that the Postal Service receives yearly subsidies from the taxpayer to cover their losses has appparently got a tight hold on you. The myth has been circulating since 1983, and here you are still keeping it alive in 2011.

Maybe you could cite some official sources that document the dollar amounts of the mythical subsidies and the years they were supposedly paid.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
and since the usps IS a goverment operation the us tresuary pays the difference...thats you the taxpayer.

Wow. This myth that the Postal Service receives yearly subsidies from the taxpayer to cover their losses has appparently got a tight hold on you. The myth has been circulating since 1983, and here you are still keeping it alive in 2011.

Maybe you could cite some official sources that document the dollar amounts of the mythical subsidies and the years they were supposedly paid.

Go to page 4 of this PDF at
http://www.usps.com/financials/_pdf/annual_report_2010.pdf
and you can see the actual picture.

The USPS is actually being forced to over-contribute $5 Billion per year to pre-fund the Postal Service’s Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) pension fund.
No other government pension fund nor any private company is required to "pre-fund" a pension fund and the USPS is asking the government oversight committee to treat the USPS like all other pension funds in a pay-as-you-go method.
The USPS reports losing $2.8 in 2010 due to this $5 B overpayment -- not the claimed 8.5 B.
The USPS has accumulated $12 Billion in US Government debt as a result of these required over-payments since 2006. If the over-funding is reversed by the USPS oversight committee then the USPS would have had an 8 billion profit over the last 5 years.
As a side note, the USPS had no debt in 2005 before this over-funding started in 2006.

Thank you Not In Trace for prodding me to understand this better.

JonFrum

Im still waiting for a answer on who makes up the loss every year??

From my Post #74 above:
"The USPS hasn't run on taxpayer dollars since the early 1980's.

The Postal Service is an independent organization mandated by Congress to break even over time. If they loose money, they have to cut expenses or services or raise prices to bring their books into balance. There is no yearly taxpayer bailout. Costs are paid by mailers who purchase stamps. The taxpayer subsidy was slowly eliminated by the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Im still waiting for a answer on who makes up the loss every year??

From my Post #74 above:
"The USPS hasn't run on taxpayer dollars since the early 1980's.

The Postal Service is an independent organization mandated by Congress to break even over time. If they loose money, they have to cut expenses or services or raise prices to bring their books into balance. There is no yearly taxpayer bailout. Costs are paid by mailers who purchase stamps. The taxpayer subsidy was slowly eliminated by the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970."

There are provisions for the Federal government to loan the USPS in the case where Revenue is less than Costs. Currently, the USPS owes the US Government $12 Billion in debt on these loans. As I said in a previous post, all of this debt is the result of a non-standard over payments for pre-funding of a Postal Worker pension fund.