15 - 22.3 jobs eliminated at Boeing Field Hub!!!

BrownFlower

Fifteen 22.3 Jobs Eliminated at Boeing Field Air Hub!!!

Friday night I, along with 14 other 22.3 Seattle Boeing Field Air employees, was told to turn in my ups airport ID because my fulltime job was being eliminated.
The reason given was because they now "wanted to save money by hiring part time employees that they could send home after only 3 hours on nights we got done early."

In an hour and a half, I get to take my 20 years of seniority back to the Seattle Hub and be a PartTime employee again!!!

I was one of the original 22.3's who got their FT seniority backdated to Aug-01-1998. (first wave/backpay)
Now I'll be working as a PartTimer right alongside 22.3ers who have been with the company half as long as I have!!!

One decade you have a Teamster fulltime career job, and the next day you're working back at the same starter PT job you did right outta highschool.

Oh yeah, I bought my first house by myself exactly one year ago. I could afford it when I was fulltime... but just barely.

I just love it when random people say "I heard that's a great place to work" when you tell them you work at UPS........sure.

Last edited:

drewed

Shankman
Sorry to hear about this, BFI isnt that big of an operation to be eliminating 15 jobs.....Id talk to your BA, see at the very least you can take your senoirity moved to seattle hub...and i believe in the contract it says pters are to be laid off first (dont quote me on that)

BrownFlower

Sorry to hear about this, BFI isnt that big of an operation to be eliminating 15 jobs.....Id talk to your BA, see at the very least you can take your senoirity moved to seattle hub...and i believe in the contract it says pters are to be laid off first (dont quote me on that)

They actually laid off all the PT night sort people the previous week but they told us they will be bringing them back to fill our jobs now.
(they hired on a bunch of PT people from peak this year...it made no sense till now)

The company has completely disregarded the contract but they now think they can get away with this stuff and most likely will.

interesting that they waited until Aug 1st to do this, huh. Coincidence...Maybe?

drewed

Shankman
can all the 22.3 bump people from the bottom of the 22.3 list?
thats what i was thinking but since UPS probably views this as a transfer, and having no special provision in the contract for these circumstances, they wont have any building seniority to bump any of list. id imagine theyd go down to top out for pt which is something like 17 (but that could be wrong too, since they never went a full pt progression)

barrycold

When your laid off you can bump people on the bottom of the list but since they eliminated 15 jobs I don't know how that works. Layoff and eliminated is different. Never seen this scenario before. If they are letting people bump then this is going to be a mess for everybody. I would like to know what the out come is.

barrycold

People are in complete shock. I never even thought about being sent back to PT but it looks like we can't bump 22.3 people in seattle.

Sad to hear about this. I guess UPS is trying to make some moves right now since the economy is bad. I was being told business should pick up around the back to school sale goes on. If you can't bump what can you do? There's no other way to get back an another 22.3 job? You call the union up.

New Englander

I was under the impression they didn't have to finish the original 2500 but they could not eliminate any of the ones already created.

They do have the power to move those jobs anywhere they want. Are you sure those jobs have not been moved elsewhere in the country?

New Englander

Okay my question would be this.
Should UPS be forced to keep full-time positions filled if the volume does not coincide?

I know I'm working the same hours and doing the same stops as before but I also know I'm usually doing work that was part of another route at one time to get my stops up.

If you can prove the volume has not changed there you probably have a case - if not.....well.

Your seniority should be dove tailed in when you go to the hub. There are full time air runs that were bid in the Seattle hub a few years ago. And before that they were bid out of city center.

BrownFlower

Your seniority should be dove tailed in when you go to the hub. There are full time air runs that were bid in the Seattle hub a few years ago. And before that they were bid out of city center.

My company seniority has been dove tailed into the part timers list but I most likely won't be able to bid on a full time position there for many, many years before taking the job at BFI. (hence the reason that I was in the first group of fifteen to get the boot)

AT this point I think most 22.3 people are in it for the long haul and won't be retiring for a long time.

It's quite a coincidence that you mentioned city center because I drove air part time for them for about 8 years and did many different jobs during that time.
(on call air, downtown letterbox pickup, morning delivery, etc..)
So I have a pretty good knowledge of what used to go on there but I don't know anything about any of these FT air driving jobs you mention.

The only FT air driving jobs I've ever heard of are early morning shuttle runs done out of BFI. I believe that there are only 6.
2 of them are being done by very high seniority, born and bred BFI people.
The 4 centers in the seattle hub are allocated the remaining routes, 1 per center to be bid on only by their package car drivers.

If you know of any other FT air driving positions, I be greatly appreciative of any info on them. If not for now, then maybe someday in the future if my body and/or finances can hold out long enough.

BrownFlower

If you can't bump what can you do? There's no other way to get back an another 22.3 job? You call the union up.

I actually went down to the union hall first thing monday morning. They said that the contract was broken on many levels and that they were filing multiple grievances.

They have also now scheduled a meeting for this saturday for all FT BFI employees. I'm guessing they've been swamped with people hitting them up for answers and want to just address everyone at once.

Hopefully they'll have some good news but I'm very doubtful we'll ever be allowed to return to our jobs. :sad-little:

My company seniority has been dove tailed into the part timers list but I most likely won't be able to bid on a full time position there for many, many years before taking the job at BFI. (hence the reason that I was in the first group of fifteen to get the boot)

AT this point I think most 22.3 people are in it for the long haul and won't be retiring for a long time.

It's quite a coincidence that you mentioned city center because I drove air part time for them for about 8 years and did many different jobs during that time.
(on call air, downtown letterbox pickup, morning delivery, etc..)
So I have a pretty good knowledge of what used to go on there but I don't know anything about any of these FT air driving jobs you mention.

The only FT air driving jobs I've ever heard of are early morning shuttle runs done out of BFI. I believe that there are only 6.
2 of them are being done by very high seniority, born and bred BFI people.
The 4 centers in the seattle hub are allocated the remaining routes, 1 per center to be bid on only by their package car drivers.

If you know of any other FT air driving positions, I be greatly appreciative of any info on them. If not for now, then maybe someday in the future if my body and/or finances can hold out long enough.

There are only 3 centers in Seattle now. Lake has been absorbed into the other 3. Those BFI air driver bid sheets were posted for the whole hub, not by center. With your seniority you will probably be at the top of any bid sheet. Why not go ft driving?

BrownFlower

I was under the impression they didn't have to finish the original 2500 but they could not eliminate any of the ones already created.

They do have the power to move those jobs anywhere they want. Are you sure those jobs have not been moved elsewhere in the country?

Yes I'm quite sure that they haven't moved them elswhere in the county because it this just happened this week.

Are they going to abide by the contract and create 15 new 22.3 jobs somewhere else in the country? ... I seriously doubt it because as stated in the article that Barry linked us to - http://makeupsdeliver.org/news.php?extend.174 (thanks much barry.....great article)
UPS has not come through with providing any proof of these jobs like they agreed they would.

I happend to confirm this fact with my BA at the hall on monday.
Sure, each 22.3 job is assigned a number (1-20,000) but what good does it do if nobody keeps track!!
There is absolutely no excuse for this from either the company or the union.
I could go on a serious rant here but I won't.... if someone else would like to feel free.

Last edited:

BrownFlower

There are only 3 centers in Seattle now. Lake has been absorbed into the other 3. Those BFI air driver bid sheets were posted for the whole hub, not by center. With your seniority you will probably be at the top of any bid sheet. Why not go ft driving?

How long ago were these jobs posted? I don't think that they could be the same jobs I mentioned because in my 6 years at BFI the same guys were driving all these routes and I was told this story about them being alloted 1 per center by different people at BFI.

The reason for not having the option of package car is that I blew my back out 5 days into it when I went driving in the late 90's.
I had an MRI and the doctors were amazed at all the damage they found.
(some of it from years of performing a pickoff job in the hub most likely)