$15 an hour minimum wage.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What's the difference between flipping burgers and delivering packages - really. Pressure to produce is the same and they probably get treated worse by their customers. Both groups are working hard. I don't understand why you think UPS drivers deserve $22 more per hour than they do. Most of them have drivers licenses and could follow ORION.
Your job is not exactly rocket science either....lol.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Workers are not "free" to find a decent wage. Choose between one low level job or another, and this isn't just people with no skills. More and more college grads have to settle for substandard wages, or live off the government's teat.

We as citizens in this country expect to be "told what to do" by those in authority, so as to keep order. Why are companies - made up of and by - citizens allowed to do something that hurts so many?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Spoken like a true center manager! So, how much do earn a year, sir, if you don't mind me asking?
Not much more than you do. I wasn't minimizing the job of a UPS driver. You earn your money. I take exception with fast food workers being constantly belittled as "burger flippers." It mischaracterizes what they do. It would be like calling drivers "package recorders." Not a fair characterization of the job but useful if one is trying to minimize their value.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not much more than you do. I wasn't minimizing the job of a UPS driver. You earn your money. I take exception with fast food workers being constantly belittled as "burger flippers." It mischaracterizes what they do. It would be like calling drivers "package recorders." Not a fair characterization of the job but useful if one is trying to minimize their value.
I'm not belittling them. Fast food workers flip burgers...Drivers..deliver packages. I...lift heavy things up and put them down...how many ways are there to say that? It is what it is...lol

alwaysoverallowed

At this point it takes less mental power to load a truck then to work at a fast food joint. They have to memorize all those sandwiches, salads, wraps, etc. no I'm not joking I mean how many combos are on their boards now? 6,10,12? Then there's breakfast and the secret menu o

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Your job is not exactly rocket science either....lol.
I don't disagree. I firmly believe that we could meet at Wendy's for lunch, observe the workers for a while, and pick out one that could do my job and one that could do my boss's job if they wanted. Work ethic and fortitude is where the value lies, and many fast food workers have both.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At this point it takes less mental power to load a truck then to work at a fast food joint. They have to memorize all those sandwiches, salads, wraps, etc. no I'm not joking I mean how many combos are on their boards now? 6,10,12? Then there's breakfast and the secret menu o
If I could make the same money and benefits at McDonalds....I'd quit tomorrow and save my joints...lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ill have a big Mac and fries please!
images-39.jpeg

Yes, you're only here for the 2 all-beef patties...riiight..lol

Mack Grant

Because the money to pay these people comes from the top, then the people in the middle get a raise because of competition for labor. The people at the top don't want inflation because it devalues the money they have. What happens is the inequality between the top and the bottoms shrinks. There's a little bit more then just that to it and there are disadvantages to raising the minimum wage but that's the long/short of it.
Pretty sure that most fast food chains are franchises and that the major hit would be on the franchise owners.
The amount of envy/spiteful ness that has been injected into society against these "rich" people is disgusting to me. They have worked harder and paid their dues. Now everyone is calling for them to give up what they've earned to carry the losers of society. And if you're "trying to support a family" while holding a single min wage job at a fast food joint you're a loser.
Any loser can have kids, it's not anyone's obligation to support them other than the people who made them, and that's really what's at the heart of this whole wage argument.

JL 0513

Let's also remember that the vast majority of people at or around minimum wage are secondary wage earners in a household primarily supported by higher income earners. The main scenario being school kids earning spending cash while living under their parents roofs. Minimum wage jobs in and of themselves isn't the main driver of poverty. Broken families is a huge driver as well as many other circumstances. People having kids while not being able to advance beyond minimum wage is a case of irresponsibility.

Mack Grant

They have to memorize sandwiches oh god the horror! For that I'm willing to at least give 60% of my yearly wages to support them!!!

Mack Grant

Let's also remember that the vast majority of people at or around minimum wage are secondary wage earners in a household primarily supported by higher income earners. The main scenario being school kids earning spending cash while living under their parents roofs. Minimum wage jobs in and of themselves isn't the main driver of poverty. Broken families is a huge driver as well as many other circumstances. People having kids while not being able to advance beyond minimum wage is a case of irresponsibility.
Bingo.

MAKAVELI

And I'm sure you have the demographic data to back this claim up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe we should stop talking about "minimum" wage and start talking about "living" wage.
Guess what happens when you pay these people below a living wage. They use public assistance. Guess who pays for that... the taxpayers. We are subsidizing billions in corporate profit.
http://livingwage.mit.edu/

Perhaps it should be the poverty wage.
It seems most assistance is provided to those below the poverty wage ... not the living wage.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Perhaps it should be the poverty wage.
It seems most assistance is provided to those below the poverty wage ... no the living wage.

Apparently a "living wage" mandates everyone has a car, cell phone, computer, etc. At one time I thought it meant food and shelter. Silly me.