15 year package driver taking a Supervisor position...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Jealousy leads to hateful behavior many times.
It's a smoldering self-destructive force that eats away from the inside.

I remember when I was in the 5th grade and many of the other school kids would harass me and tell me I was crazy because I made A+ and 100's on all the tests and read books all the time. My mother told told me they were just jealous.

I have remembered this over the years and especially about other people who were smarter and worked harder than me and "achieved" more success than me.

Don't worry about the people who don't want you to achieve your goals.
You sound like you understand what your goals are and my guess is neither these naysayers nor UPS will keep you from making the right decision for yourself ... whatever that may be.

LOL!!!
Even my font is jealous.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I'm at the point in my life where I work because I want to, not because I have to! My wife and I made shrewd moves with our money. Plus, she has always been the bread winner in our family! Not all jobs at UPS revolve around on road sups and package car drivers and the drama in between. I have been at UPS too long to just quit and go somewhere else. I'm only 36 and still wanto work till I'm 50. Managements air conditioned office is where I want to spend the next 14 years. and if it doesnt work out like some of you like to point out, then I will become a substitute teacher.
Do us a favor here, in a year or as long as you can deal with it, come back to the site and give your opinion of operations... good luck

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Jealousy leads to hateful behavior many times.
It's a smoldering self-destructive force that eats away from the inside.

I remember when I was in the 5th grade and many of the other school kids would harass me and tell me I was crazy because I made A+ and 100's on all the tests and read books all the time. My mother told told me they were just jealous.

I have remembered this over the years and especially about other people who were smarter and worked harder than me and "achieved" more success than me.

Don't worry about the people who don't want you to achieve your goals.
You sound like you understand what your goals are and my guess is neither these naysayers nor UPS will keep you from making the right decision for yourself ... whatever that may be.

im not jealous, i feel sorry for my operations team, im assuming you started in operations hoax, if so, do you really believe the same opportunity is there? I think most see the writing on the wall as far as corporates plan for operations

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
So u can still run? Run forest run!!!!!!!

Run fast, Run away, run to the hills, run silent run deep, but for the love of god run.

I have never talked to one single on car sup. who would not go back to driving if they could. NOt one. As bad as they treat the drivers then treat mgmt. 10 times worse.

barnyard

KTM rider
and if it doesnt work out like some of you like to point out, then I will become a substitute teacher.

From what I have seen at my center, if it does not work out many other companies would hire you in a heartbeat. UPS is well known in the business world for training it's managers, many companies will look at that training as money they do not have to spend.

Good luck

Re-Raise

Guys, let him go and wish him well.

How many of us would like to have a driver's sup that actually delivered for 15 years?

It isn't a decision I would make, but more power to him.

It opens up a driver position for a part-timer.

tardus

This gung-ho guy going into supervision reminds me of a real nice, happy, friendly guy in our center who decided to go into supervision after about 20 years in the Union. He told me that he wanted a job that used his brain and that he was told he that he would be in I.E. using his math skills in an air conditioned office. Well, as you all might expect, I saw him six months later coming in to the early a.m. where they had moved him to the least desirable position as an early morning preload supervisor. He really felt betrayed and used, and I never saw him smile much after that, but it was too late by then ...

Braman55

Morning preload supervisor Is a great job to me! But I guess it crazy to thing that one mans garbage might be another mans treasure!

rocket man

I was wondering if anyone knew how UPS would calculate my pay. I want to go into the meeting with some idea of the process. Would appreciate any feed back you have to offer. Thanks!
***... go ask a supervisor

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No, I won't! Because, I'm not a miserable person. But after reading a lot of these post there are some miserable people out there. If UPS makes you feel this bad ...why work there? I have had good managers and bad managers, good sups and bad and not one of them could ever make me feel bad about myself or the job I did! I enjoy being a service provider but FOR ME it's time to move on. I don't understand the malice towards going into management.

Speaking only for myself, I can say that it isnt malice that I feel towards someone who wants to go into management....its more like pity.

Ive been with this company for over 25 years and I have seen more than a few people make the transition into management with all the best intentions and lofty ideals in the world....only to run face first into the Brown Wall of Reality. Many of them come away bitter and disillusioned. Many quit. I know of several 25+ year management people that have gotten whacked on bogus charges, generally when they are a year or two away from being eligible for the retiree medical benefits. Off the top of my head I can name 5 on-car or center managers in my division alone that have taken various amounts of "stress leave" in the last 4 years. This is a mean, hateful and nasty place to work even when you have a union backing you up; without one, you are pretty much at the mercy of your superiors and the moment that you are no longer able to make them look good on paper you become a liablity rather than an asset and you will be treated accordingly.

Truthfully, I wish you well in your career choice. I hope for your sake that the reality that I have observed is not the reality that you wind up experiencing. I would strongly suggest that you consider your decision very carefully, and that you seek opinions from as many other management people as possible before doing something you may very well regret in the years to come.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No need to give this guy advice, he wont make 3 years as an on road anyways at the rate UPS is discharging its supervisory personnel. He will grow to hate the job and realize that his dreams of being that "classic" peoples manager will never come to pass.

His rear end will end up on the line as he is forced to discipline drivers for things "he" knows cant be done and he will resent the company. Its the same story guy after guy.

UPS management is a joke and the turnover outrageous.

Peace

TOS

Big Babooba

Be aware that the company no longer picks up the tab for the mandatory lobotomy and castration. Your union insurance will cover part of it, but there is a fairly large deductible that you will have to pay out of pocket for.

Wrong!!! That is elective surgery and is not covered by insurance!