15 year package driver taking a Supervisor position...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Guys, let him go and wish him well.

How many of us would like to have a driver's sup that actually delivered for 15 years?

It isn't a decision I would make, but more power to him.

It opens up a driver position for a part-timer.

All he's done is put in his letter.
He's far from being promoted.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My on car sup delivered for 15 years. He retires in 5 days and will be a substitute bus driver.

I know two management people that did the same thing.
They would not drive the school buses after a short time but drove the big tour buses that went out for day trips from Atlanta.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know two management people that did the same thing.
They would not drive the school buses after a short time but drove the big tour buses that went out for day trips from Atlanta.

My on car lives right across the street from the bus garage---he can literally walk to work. He starts his training shortly after retiring and will be on the substitute driver list after that. He doesn't want to (or need to) work every day but does want to keep busy. His wife is a very successful real estate agent.

UPSGUY72

I was wondering if anyone knew how UPS would calculate my pay. I want to go into the meeting with some idea of the process. Would appreciate any feed back you have to offer. Thanks!

Your going to be working longer hours. My sips show up before 7 and sometimes they are still there after 8 at night. Then they have to pay for there benny's. The company pays a little over $11 hour for my free bennys.

As a sup be ready to start kissing a-- . As a union member you don't have to kiss a-- in order to still have a job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a sup be ready to start kissing a-- . As a union member you don't have to kiss a-- in order to still have a job.

I hear a lot of drivers say this and I just write it off as immaturity or BS.
It always seemed that hourlies had to kiss ass more than management.
Could you give some examples so I can understand your viewpoint better.

UPSGUY72

I hear a lot of drivers say this and I just write it off as immaturity or BS.
It always seemed that hourlies had to kiss ass more than management.
Could you give some examples so I can understand your viewpoint better.

As a driver I could care less about numbers, As a SUP your have too whether or not you agree or not because if you don't they will find you another job or get rid of you.

As a driver my Sup can tell me my number need to be better and I can basically laugh at them, as a Sup when your boss tell you your number need to be better you better find a way to make them better or they will find you another job or get rid of you...

As a driver I don't need really need to be any better than the worse driver in the building....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a driver I could care less about numbers, As a SUP your have too whether or not you agree or not because if you don't they will find you another job or get rid of you.

As a driver my Sup can tell me my number need to be better and I can basically laugh at them, as a Sup when your boss tell you your number need to be better you better find a way to make them better or they will find you another job or get rid of you...

As a driver I don't need really need to be any better than the worse driver in the building....

That's one viewpoint with valid points although I personally don't know of any management person fired because of not meeting numbers of his/her reports.

As a management person, worrying about the numbers is your job. As a driver it is making all your deliveries and pickups, meeting service cutoff times etc. - That is having to kiss butt much more than meeting numbers, in my opinion.

As a management person, if your son/daughter has an event, you can almost always get off to go to them. As a driver, you can't. That is definitely having to kiss butt there.

As a management person, if I make a mistake, it is generally overlooked unless it's the same thing over and over. A driver gets a warning letter or suspension because the Union will bring up any discretion given one person when another person does the same thing. That's maybe getting youor butt kicked more than kissing butt but same effect.

The last point is one of the worst aspects of being a Union hourly that I absolutely hate and that is the "everyone and every situation" is treated exactly the same.
This is definitely a crappy way to have to work. I think management works around this expectation to some extent but a Union hourly definitely has to kiss butt in this respect and just take it because the Union believes in it so strongly.
With management, every person and situation is considered individually and treatment is applied in a rational and compassionate manner.

UPSGUY72

....and people give me crap when I say unions promote mediocrity...

First of let me say that I run scratch more than 95 percent of the time. Even when I get really pissed off when being sent to help sub par employees I still can't lower my standards to there levels. I'm a worker I'm not a slacker never have and never will be no matter what job I have.

This being said these sub par drivers should have never made there thirty days.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of let me say that I run scratch more than 95 percent of the time. Even when I get really pissed off when being sent to help sub par employees I still can't lower my standards to there levels. I'm a worker I'm not a slacker never have and never will be no matter what job I have.

This being said these sub par drivers should have never made there thirty days.....

Did I specify you in my post?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
and bbsam should know since he is management at FedEx.

He is a "go-between", an "intermediary" or a "middle-man".

I was under the impression he was the owner of several routes in FedEx Ground.

His Pay/profit is directly related upon the performance of the drivers.

He is more of a management person than anyone at UPS including Scott Davis.

I always had tremendous respect for self-employed or business owners ... more than anyone I have met at UPS or any other corporations.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He is a "go-between", an "intermediary" or a "middle-man".

This is as good a description of a UPS Management person as I have heard recently. I may adopt this as a working description of UPS Management going forward.

The shareholders own UPS and UPS Management acts as a "go-between", an "intermediary" or a "middle-man" to take the their directions and plan, organize and control the efforts to ensure the Board's and Management Committee's goals are met.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No. Didn't say that...

I was just clarifying my stance so I wouldn't be confused for a slacker.

We know you are a "runner and gunner" and you are envied by other drivers on this site who are jealous of your abilities.

Jealousy leads to hateful behavior many times.
It's a smoldering self-destructive force that eats away from the inside.

rocket man

you made a lot of posts in this thread you started now you want to go against the union the helped you the drivers that you worked with. i hope you go into managment . and the company invests just enough to to say they tried. they have your union card in hand and then they dump your ass