17 drivers laid off 2nite...

We were told our volume was down 2% this year 2 drivers (out of 57) have been laid off 3 days so far in Jan.

brownrodster

No layoffs here. Running a route or two less than last summer. There is usually an extra driver or two everyday but then someone usually wants to go home or there is late air for someone to shuttle.

I heard there would be "big changes" in our center after jan 1 but it's business as usual. No changes yet.

I saw a list with 15 p/t layoffs on our afternoon sort. One of my full timers gave us a "pep talk" that mentioned 12 drivers had been bounced back into the hub. With another 10 - 15 planned. Also mentioned cuts would be coming on other sorts.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am having problems with this. What management is doing is giving layoffs to their little pets and not anyone else. It's pretty sad actually, and I might report this to corporate. I only care because theyre using this as a flavor of the week thing and not at all being fair with everyone (i.e. the same 2 people are taking whatever days they want and no one else)

The problem si the contract supplement up here says the junior part-timer gets laid off in post-christmas volume layoffs and he/she can bump another in another classification if has more seniority.

It says nothing about giving VLO's to full or part-time favorites that are in the same grouping before that junior person.

Ours is done by seniority from the top each day. The days off aren't given to "pets." Its different people each day. Some days there are enough volunteers so that all the extra drivers get to work. Some days there aren't but our bottom five drivers (except for me) never seem to want to work a full-week anyway. This works better for everyone. No part-timers get laid off and full-timers can get a little more rest. Some need it. I'm in the bottom third of the seniority list and haven't had to work inside yet this year. It's all thanks to our way of handling extra drivers. I only worked inside a couple of times last year as well. This is the better way.

evilleace

We have a about 6 layed off out of about 50 but also no drivers on vacation when the vacations start again pretty much no layoffs we also just had one of the cover drivers fired so that helped the layoffs also.

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
There were talks of layoffs in December, rumors flying about 10 maybe more drivers. But as of now we haven't seen any. We had three drivers take retirement at the end of the year and a feeder driver as well. Luckily for some of the lower guys my building always has a few guys willing to take a day off. And for those of us who do work they dispatch us 9.5-11hrs a day. I've been working more hours now than i was at peak.

helenofcalifornia

We have seven drivers currently on layoff, but another two are scheduled for the following week. That's according to IE predictions, who after this Christmas I don't have much faith in. (Ooh, did I just end a sentence with a preposition?? Oh my!)

And, oh yeah, "don't forget to turn in the sales leads."

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is a difference in a lay off and vlo's. Yes in a lay off the junior person would be laid off for 1 week and than allowed to bump in ti two ptime positions, a junior 22.3 etc

Now vlo's should go by seniority top to bottom on a day by day basis and should actually have a bid posted.

In taking vlos on a daily basis everyone keeps working, without being bumped down. The reason you see the vlo's is (at least here) once your laid off form driving the company must notify you by letter to return to work in 2 weeks. Of course the company wants you to return the next day, but if we allow that to happen lay offs would happen a lot more.

I couldn't differentiate the difference like you can. I do know that our supplement says 'post christmas volume drop' and 'layoff from bottom seniority up'. instead it is certain favorites that kiss you know what getting VLOs and no one being laid off as the contract supplement would indicate.

squirlygirly

Cut it out about the whole ebonics, whatever crap. It was 6am I was tired and needing to get that whole layoff thing off my ----[---...you fill in the blanks, if you're sooo smart.

I posted this topic, with a "cut-short" attitude, in the hopes that when I got back 2 it 2nite y'awl would have an opinion, results of your own center/hub happenings. Thank GAWD more responded to the topic as oppose to the ones that had nothing more to say but "nuttin' @ AWL!"

Last edited:

squirlygirly

It sounds like you have a management team that recognizes a win-win situation for everyone. Instead of disrupting the entire operation with drivers bumping into the hub or pkg car, PT'ers laid off and morale going down the tubes, your management team is, at least, making an effort to work with EVERYONE (notice the capital letters).
My compliments to them (mgmt.)
Don't let corporate find out about this.

Our building used to be like that. Right b4 peak our manager just up & quit. Got fed up (no joke here) with the tie-guy upstairs. And yes, I do mean singular, not plural, "tie-guy".

I started going into semi-details, but semi turned into a whole other posting...stay tuned!!!

browndevil

Cut it out about the whole ebonics, whatever crap. It was 6am I was tired and needing to get that whole layoff thing off my ----[---...you fill in the blanks, if you're sooo smart.

I posted this topic, with a "cut-short" attitude, in the hopes that when I got back 2 it 2nite y'awl would have an opinion, results of your own center/hub happenings. Thank GAWD more responded to the topic as oppose to the ones that had nothing more to say but "nuttin' @ AWL!"
Right on Squirly! Don't take any crap here but do keep us up to date on the doings in your building:happy2:

We've had at least 20 laid off everyday this week, between 2 centers. There is talk of up to 35 drivers laid off next week. This is just in packages there have been layoffs in feeders also. We have drivers all over inside our hub. This economy has hit us hard, could go on till Mar.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
:happy2:We're still at full strength, but it's "season'' in South Florida. I fear the worst for our junior drivers and part timers by May or June. I don't speak fluent ebonics. Maybe Upstate will translate?

barnyard

KTM rider
All of a sudden, our managers are following the seniority rule to the letter. In the past, we have 2 or 3 guys that would take off from late January to March or April. We also have 3-4 guys that are willing to work 2 and 3 day weeks. It has made it so that we have never laid anyone off.

Now, we have 1 person laid off, collecting unemployment and 4 that bumped onto the preload and another 3 that are willing to work day to day (filling in for sick calls.)

I don't get where the sudden 'attitude' comes from....

TB