17 drivers laid off 2nite...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We were told our volume was down 2% this year 2 drivers (out of 57) have been laid off 3 days so far in Jan.

2% huh. Thats something that they never tell us is what percentage the volume is down. I know 2% will make a difference, but how many companies would love to be in ups' position right now. Some layoffs happen a few years ago and granted, wernt as bad but ie was just "giving" the center a number of cars to run. The stops were there, just not as much bulk and hours and injuries went through the roof. It lasted a few months and as I remember after words they went through a hiring faze. It will be interesting to revisit this thread in 6 months or a year and see what happens.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe this is just a "convenient" time to get rid of some folks, mgt or union. Maybe other companies are doing the same thing, it seems to help the stock price when companies gut employees.

barnyard

KTM rider
2% huh. Thats something that they never tell us is what percentage the volume is down.

We have a white board up with last year's delivery and pick up #'s compared to this year's. The delivery #'s are consistently down. The pick up #'s though are pretty close to the same and many days, they are higher.

TB

backinbrown

respect my authority
We have a white board up with last year's delivery and pick up #'s compared to this year's. The delivery #'s are consistently down. The pick up #'s though are pretty close to the same and many days, they are higher.

TB

barnyard do you have many driver layoff's yet

Coldworld

60 months and counting
all Im trying to say is that ie can gut cars even if the volume doesnt warrant it. It seems to be that injuries and sick calls go up when everybody is slammed with more work, especially the guys who seems to get done at the same time daily if they have 100 or 175 stops...usually the runners. As a whole ups seems to be going much better that fedex right now, and these multiple lawsuits against them in the billions will probably catch up with them in 09 or 10 and with democrats in office, Fred S wont get the kind of help he needs. They will take a heavy hit.

backinbrown

respect my authority
all Im trying to say is that ie can gut cars even if the volume doesnt warrant it. It seems to be that injuries and sick calls go up when everybody is slammed with more work, especially the guys who seems to get done at the same time daily if they have 100 or 175 stops...usually the runners. As a whole ups seems to be going much better that fedex right now, and these multiple lawsuits against them in the billions will probably catch up with them in 09 or 10 and with democrats in office, Fred S wont get the kind of help he needs. They will take a heavy hit.
\

making FedEx part of teamsters would help us

yes no maybe

any opinions

and if this has been discussed before i apologize

yes no maybe

any opinions

and if this has been discussed before i apologize
I think in the long run it would force FedEx to raise their prices to be closer to ours. That is about the only way I see it helping us with the competition.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
squirlygirly

I do find something squirly about your posts.

I do find it interesting that your post states that your center is laying off 26% of its total driver workforce?

For the rest of you west coasters, that is more than one out of every four drivers.

d

squirlygirly

D-

Please allow me to correct myself. I do work in a "center" not a hub, which consists of 2 offices. Of these 2 offices, there are 85 drivers each, = 170 drivers total...or so i've been told, it just doesn't seem like that many, but than you can't know 'em all!

As of last Friday, 1-30-09, 20 drivers and 8 p-timers were laid-off...

Scary as hell!!! I've only been working for UPS for 4 years now, a-BUST-MY-ASS-P-TIMER, and never in that time have p-timers ever been cut from the program. Drivers yes, but only for a week or two

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While the statement is true, this type of layoff has happened after christmas for well over the last 30 years that I know of. Some years a bit more than others.

But if you look at it realistically, UPS put on extra drivers for the peak season. So while you prefer to claim the UPS sky is collapsing, I prefer to see it as the natural ebb and flow of the delivery business after christmas.

Most will be back at their assigned jobs by may or so, just like it has been forever. Some might not get back till later summer. But that is normal as well. And some might not get back until peak 2009. Seen that as well over the last 33 years.

I guess in your 4 years you have not noticed this cycle?

As a side note, this is the time for people to

1 Grow the business
2 Take care of the customer like never before
3 Take care of packages like they were ours, instead of treating them like so much crap.

Its the little things every day that make the big difference at the end of the year.

d

squirlygirly

D-

Your 3-steps couldn't be closer to the truth. They've been ramming down our throats lately about "sales leads" and blah, blah, yadda, yadda.

I found myself in the parking lot just last week talking to one of our shop stewards that, as oppose to finding new leads, which don't get me wrong would be beneficial for us, why isn't there any given efort to maintain the accounts and people we already have?

When it comes down to it, there are too many companys right now going belly up and we need to learn to step up and take "righteous" care of the ones that are still hangin' in there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

yes no maybe

any opinions

Absolutely, FedEx pays much less and the only way UPS stays where we are is by cutting costs and being more efficient. At some point, there is no cost to cut and no more efficiency gains.

When that happens, the cuts and lack of compensation increases we have seen over the last 6 months becomes the norm and the downward spiral begins.