1st day of driving on Monday (package car)

EmraldArcher

Definitely bring some kind of towel to wipe your face off with.

I bring a 1.5 liter camelbak AND an extra gallon of water and I drink it all every day plus whatever fluids I buy during breaks.

Don't eat a heavy lunch your first few days out.

Don't sit in AC for an hour no matter how good it feels.

I'm going to start using some kind of crotch powder next week. I'm on day 20ish of my qualification and didn't have a problem until this week but on Friday I could barely walk by the end of the day.

OptimusPrime

I'm curious how the long timers feel about some of the advice I could give him? Mostly grey area stuff to make your numbers look good so you make your 30 days. Some might say that kind of stuff wont help you when the center manager rides along, but in my experience, once I got that far, they wanted to get me on FT, and the center manager was damn helpful making sure we ran scratch to qualify.

OptimusPrime

Definitely bring some kind of towel to wipe your face off with.

I bring a 1.5 liter camelbak AND an extra gallon of water and I drink it all every day plus whatever fluids I buy during breaks.

Don't eat a heavy lunch your first few days out.

Don't sit in AC for an hour no matter how good it feels.

I'm going to start using some kind of crotch powder next week. I'm on day 20ish of my qualification and didn't have a problem until this week but on Friday I could barely walk by the end of the day.

No homo, but what kind of underwear do you sport? I'm a bigger guy and a big sweater. Compression shorts were a godsend. Found that the "cheapy" $10 ones from Kohl's were just about as good as Under Armour.

EmraldArcher

No homo, but what kind of underwear do you sport? I'm a bigger guy and a big sweater. Compression shorts were a godsend. Found that the "cheapy" $10 ones from Kohl's were just about as good as Under Armour.

None, which probably has something to do with it but I haven't worn underwear in ~15 years (including a stint in the Air Force) and I'm not going to start now lol.

I'm curious how the long timers feel about some of the advice I could give him? Mostly grey area stuff to make your numbers look good so you make your 30 days. Some might say that kind of stuff wont help you when the center manager rides along, but in my experience, once I got that far, they wanted to get me on FT, and the center manager was damn helpful making sure we ran scratch to qualify.

I would be interested to hear your tips if only because I wonder if they're really needed. I know things are different in every building but I'm in my early 30's, eat just about the worst diet possible, get 0 exercise outside of work and still manage to finish my route early almost everyday. I was -.90 on Thursday for instance. It seems to me that if your center manager wants you to succeed and YOU want to succeed then you will without having to do anything fishy.

W

want to retire

Take your breaks. All of your breaks. You will NEED your breaks. If you work through your breaks you will be given additional work or be required to help another poor soul. Take NO more and NO less. Pay attention to your methods, this will help you become faster. Do not try to make up time by speeding, running, or cutting corners. Your safety and that of the public's is VERY important. You cant provide for yourself or your family when your injured. Stretch and drink water. Carry a hand towel to wipe your sweat or your tears, whichever come first. Welcome to the team.

Very bad advice. You have to qualify. If you don't, they'll get someone else. Period. Do WHATEVER it takes short of being dangerous or illegal(don't get fired). To some people, delivering is as natural as breathing.....to some, they never figure it out. You'll probably struggle mightily. It can be a nightmare. You may wonder what you have gotten yourself into........your previous job may seem like a dream...........safe.....secure........then again.....maybe you're a natural. In the end.....be prepared to work your ass off....literally. Be prepared to work hours......10, 12 without ever slowing down and learn to pee quick(or in bottles). It may take years to become "good" or learn the ins and outs of a route. They don't give you time allowance to look at a Mapsco......but you'll sure spend alot of time doing it........use your two-wheeler and try to save your back...........remember..........when you are in that deep, dark place and up to your eyeballs in do-do......all they can do to you is not let you work there anymore......harsh....jaded?....with 32 years in.....you bet.

I could be wrong, but I would almost bet that mavs972 is a peak hire and we are now in the free period. Odds that he or she will be able to stay on after peak are extremely long to say the least. Not saying it can't happen, but being that 1 out of 6 is certainly a long shot. They should still try to do the best they can, because when there is that opportunity down the road, the ctr team is going to want someone that has proven to be safe and productive. And if they don't do very well, then the safety and production won't really matter, because they won't even be given a second thought. Perhaps the most valuable attribute is having a positive attitude, because if it ever comes down to the choice between 2 people, the positive one will always get my vote. And if you have been around UPS long enough, you have probably seen a negative person or 2....er, too numerous to count. So God knows we don't need another...at least until they have been here for a year or two.

OptimusPrime

I could be wrong, but I would almost bet that mavs972 is a peak hire and we are now in the free period. Odds that he or she will be able to stay on after peak are extremely long to say the least. Not saying it can't happen, but being that 1 out of 6 is certainly a long shot. They should still try to do the best they can, because when there is that opportunity down the road, the ctr team is going to want someone that has proven to be safe and productive. And if they don't do very well, then the safety and production won't really matter, because they won't even be given a second thought. Perhaps the most valuable attribute is having a positive attitude, because if it ever comes down to the choice between 2 people, the positive one will always get my vote. And if you have been around UPS long enough, you have probably seen a negative person or 2....er, too numerous to count. So God knows we don't need another...at least until they have been here for a year or two.

If we are in the free period that would explain the situation in my center. We were approved for a FT driver, and had two fail to make it. And they seem in no hurry to fill the slot before peak. And yet I can see into the future where the center will be scrambling for bodies come December. Sad really.

mavs972

mavs972, how did it go?
It went okay, I have to get better at backing up the package car, but I've gotten way better at driving stick, I learned to drive stick like 2 days before my road test. It wasn't too hot, but man do I have to learn my route better, I ran my route this week with my supervisor telling me where to go, I still get lost in alot of places, lots of walking, need a bigger water jug, lots of nice people out in the driving world, helpful other drivers, my center manager wants me to make it it(cool guy). Btw I worked at the hub for 2 1/2 years, and told I wasn't a seasonal driver and that they needed drivers. I'm a TCD

union4life

Congrats on making it though your first week. Once you are out on your own, the learning curve should kick in full force and you should be able to improve on every stop.

Don't get caught up in the errors you will make. Instead, remember that everytime you hit the stop complete button your slate is clean and you get another chance to improve upon using your methods for the next stop.

EmraldArcher

I went out and drove my route the first weekend after I started driving (was with my ORS W, Th and friend, the next M was my first day on my own) on my own time and it really helped.