1st qtr earnings???

sosocal

I am not expecting great earnings when they are announced later this month...In fact, as a manager recieving no pay raise I may feel a wee bitter if they are at all good -- Don;t mind taking one for the team - Do mind taking one for Wall Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...Don;t mind taking one for the team - Do mind taking one for Wall Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Earnings as a % of sales will be up, total sales will be down or even.

Silly you, we've all been taking it in the no-no hole for Wall Street since UPS went public - there is no team anymore.

Braveheart

I understand cutting the fat. If profit is down 30% it is still profit!

I share no love for managers but even I think you get your raise, 401k and bonus reduced by 30%. The point is you still get it, just at the reduced rate.

Our CEO got a HUGE, GIANT, raise last year plus a HUGE, GIANT, bonus last year.

The managers got screwed.

Last edited:

29th Christmas

Anyone in mgt under a level 20 has been getting the shaft for a number of years. Operations front line mgt deserves better compensation for their long days. In defense of ups top mgt compensation---it's been low compared to most other top officers of major corps in the past.

pretzel_man

I share no love for managers but even I think you get your raise, 401k and bonus reduced by 30%. The point is you still get it, just at the reduced rate.

Our CEO got a HUGE, GIANT, raise last year plus a HUGE, GIANT, bonus last year.

The managers got screwed.

The timing of the omnibus plan (pay raise for CEO, CFO, COO) really stunk. There was no reason they couldn't wait a year.

On the other hand, the HUGE raise of those top executives is variable based on how well UPS does.

Of those three can reach their top pay, I would be ecstatic. Our stock would begin growing again.

As far as profits, companies are measures based on how their profits GROW.

Where do profits go by the way?

They go to shareowers in the form of dividends, and then they are invested back into the business for growth. If profits are down, then there is less money for dividends and investment back in the business.

This is not new. It was the same when we were private.

Jim Casey said that we needed to take care of the shareowners because they gave us our jobs.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Surely you cannot be serious?

The goals of a private company vs. a public company is like comparing apples to tree frogs. Only more different.

The major difference is that we are more focused on next quarter than next year. I liked that better, but it didn't mean that we were not focused on profit.

When we were private, stock grew because pofits grew. We were valued by the board in a narrow band of 12 to 14 P/E. Our public valuation has ranged from around 15 to 30 P/E.

I argue that back then, we were much more focused on production than today.. When I started, report back was almost entirely focused on production.

While I liked it better as a private company, I think we are kidding ourselves if we think profit would not be as important if we were no longer public.

P-Man

JustTired

free at last.......
Funny......

While the company as a whole (and those in management) are having their earnings go down..........ask the typical delivery driver who isn't laid off what their first quarter earnings look like.

Just an observation...as I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As a share owner I would like to see some growth. If I wasn't a share owner I would love to see the stock tank so these mgmt clowns that do absolutely nothing to benefit the company but ride the coattails of those that built it get what they deserve.

upser

I am not expecting great earnings when they are announced later this month...In fact, as a manager recieving no pay raise I may feel a wee bitter if they are at all good -- Don;t mind taking one for the team - Do mind taking one for Wall Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

I would say that earnings shouldn't be to bad. There are been no updates to our projections for the 1st quarter results....that has to be good.

tieguy

Banned

braveheart you could use the same logic about pension money and say if the pension is down 30 percent its still a pension. Obviously negative trends are not good.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The timing of the omnibus plan (pay raise for CEO, CFO, COO) really stunk. There was no reason they couldn't wait a year.

On the other hand, the HUGE raise of those top executives is variable based on how well UPS does.

Of those three can reach their top pay, I would be ecstatic. Our stock would begin growing again.

As far as profits, companies are measures based on how their profits GROW.

Where do profits go by the way?

They go to shareowers in the form of dividends, and then they are invested back into the business for growth. If profits are down, then there is less money for dividends and investment back in the business.

This is not new. It was the same when we were private.

Jim Casey said that we needed to take care of the shareowners because they gave us our jobs.

P-Man
The difference here is that the employees used to be the share owners, now anyone can buy the stock. People that do not even help the stock grow have more control in our everyday operations, which ultimately hurts production and servicing the customers.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
The difference here is that the employees used to be the share owners, now anyone can buy the stock. People that do not even help the stock grow have more control in our everyday operations, which ultimately hurts production and servicing the customers.

Pot, meet kettle....

All companies answer to their shareholders. Class B shares hardly have any voting rights.

mnnice

As a share owner I would like to see some growth. If I wasn't a share owner I would love to see the stock tank so these mgmt clowns that do absolutely nothing to benefit the company but ride the coattails of those that built it get what they deserve.
Again we have a thread that has involved people in a negative way when the thread started out as a comment about 1st qtr. earnings. Can't you express your opinions without involving negative comments directed to others.

brownrodster

$.58 p/share. Earnings come out before the open of market trading on 04/23/2009

And UPS has over 1 billion shares outstanding, correct? Still a mighty good profit compared to some other companies if .58 per share is close to reality! Not quite as great as the billion per quarter UPS was profiting a few years ago.

That just means you g*d*mn drivers need to stop coming in overallowed. Stop stealing time. Go faster and make UPS more money. Maintain your SPORH or we'll fire you.