1st week COMPLETE

browniehound

Really !!!!! Being a helper is the most difficult at UPS. Can you enlighten me!!!

I think its the most difficult job for the following reasons: He has to sit in that jump seat all day. He has to run off all the stops the driver dreads, ie long driveways with a 90 degree incline, etc. He gets used and abused at every stop. All this for $9.50/hour. He works harder than the driver but receives $21 less per hour than the driver.

Actually, what I should have said: for the pittance of a wage you receive the driver helper is the most physically demanding job at UPS.

Boonie

It's only fair that if you ask us new-comers not to impose our optimism on you and not talk about it, that you old-timers not impose your pessimism on us and not to talk about it.

Does that mean you are underappreciated? Not in the least; but consider it from the position of a new hire who thinks "my opinion doesn't matter, it's only those with many years in who matter"; what is the difference between that train of thought and the new hire who goose steps to management?

There is none.

Ummm... Actually, there is a difference...one of them has a better attitude.

Southwestern

RiverFisher, I commend your attitude and work ethic; I think it's great you want to spend your remaining working years with UPS.

That said, please be aware:
-- part-time positions within UPS have high turn-over rates.
-- getting up in the middle of the night, going to work, and unloading nearly 5,000 packages & dozens of bags from two 53' trailers (most conveyors reach less than 40' feet and the solutions beyond that are inadequate, and usually involve your feet) is tough. Equally as tough is loading 1,200 packages onto four package cars. Worse is scanning & loading 5,000 packages + several dozen bags into 53' trailers that have spent all afternoon under the hot, hot sun. As a new hire, don't expect an easier assignment.
-- most buildings have added many part-time package handling positions to handle the increased volume -- most of these jobs will not be retained beyond the peak season. Come January, upper management will have so much time on their hands they'll analyze how much has been spent on labor in Dec. (forgetting about revenue & profits), fume, and demand that productivity show heavy improvement. The end result is that there's often less jobs exiting peak than there were before peak. And preference for any vacant position will always go to the guys who did the job during peak.
-- In a center I worked in, only about two dozen part-timers -- out of a staffing of more than 500 -- worked both inside & driver helped. And most of those were people earning less than the helping wage. Further, when the building hired jumpers into part-time positions (which hasn't happened since the economy tanked), most didn't last. They're two different job types and success at one just doesn't translate into success at the other.

I wish you luck with your career. :)

upser92

Hey HERO your not the next best thing to sliced bread. Your just another helper and not only one that does a good job. UPS will fill you with as much BS as they can just to keep you coming to work untill Dec 23.

Your 43 and you want to make UPS a career. It going to take you 5-10 years to get a drivers job if you even get a PT job.

This! I run around 5-6 hours a day here and then do 5 hours loading in the hub. Just go in and do your job like the rest of us, I've seen far too many people this optimistic and then 3 months later they're burned out and looking elsewhere for employment

working up a sweat

I work in the inside sort. It is unbelievable watching the self motivation by the newbies working hard to be kept after peak. The Teamster Health Plan is the golden nugget. Times have changed from 10 years ago. In those days turnover was 70%. Today where I am it is 5%.

AssistantSanta

People don't read the InfoNotice. If I cross out the name/sig field in the back and circle that shipper asked for signature, some attach hand written note demanding the package left.

Well, its the last week and I caused a call to 1-800 for the first time. They tell me not to leave packages in plain view, so I hid it along the side of their house and wrote "side" on the InfoNotice in "while you were away, we left it at..." part. She couldn't find it, so she called and complained.

Oops :o

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
People don't read the InfoNotice. If I cross out the name/sig field in the back and circle that shipper asked for signature, some attach hand written note demanding the package left.

Well, its the last week and I caused a call to 1-800 for the first time. They tell me not to leave packages in plain view, so I hid it along the side of their house and wrote "side" on the InfoNotice in "while you were away, we left it at..." part. She couldn't find it, so she called and complained.

See ya!

menotyou

bella amicizia

:rofl: :rofl:

I have to make sure I read this right. You, AssistantSanta, called 1-800-220-4126 because a customer called in a complaint on you. Exactly what was your internal complaint against this outside customer?

old levi's

blank space

Well Damn, ASS Santa, now you 're gonna get passed over for that big promotion because as everyone knows 1 oh smile* will wipe out a bunch of atta boys. I just hate that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to make sure I read this right. You, AssistantSanta, called 1-800-220-4126 because a customer called in a complaint on you. Exactly what was your internal complaint against this outside customer?

I think you may need to clean your glasses as this is not what he said. He received a concern because the customer could not find their package.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am working with Christmas lights and a very dimmed monitor. sorry for misunderstanding. I was very confused, as I am most days. :rofl:

You are 43 and a driver's helper. Wow nice job. Keep it up. So, i'm already sore and my butt hurts from that thin cushioned seat. I'm approaching my mid-twenties and huffing and puffing. How are you coping sir? What are your techniques and approaches to "driver helping," I would like to know? Plus I'm sure they are loving you over there in your area?!?! What area might that be?

AssistantSanta

Well Damn, ASS Santa, now you 're gonna get passed over for that big promotion because as everyone knows 1 oh smile* will wipe out a bunch of atta boys. I just hate that.
Driver got a message over that package. But after a response, the consignee found the package, so I suppose that was better than actual lost claim.

Someone got arrested for snatching packages off porch in the area I help and cops found packages in his house.

Even as a temp helper, I feel frustrated. Leave it in plain view and it will get called in when it's stolen.
Hide it and they call 1800pickups.

Leave an infonotice on sig required stuff and they attach a note asking the package to left even after i high light "sender required a sig" and scribble out the space to sign on the back.

Unfortunately many recipients aren't as clever as thieves. I place it where its reasonably secluded from view from the street and somewhere that draws suspicion for someone to lurk around.

I heard some drivers get gifts and tips from Commercial customers, but my driver's route is 99% resi. All resi customers do is complain.