$2.50 Pension Increase for the Southwest is a Farce!

Ms.PacMan

UpstateNY is in NY. He and his state are not part of NE. He was speaking of a vote they had to divert a portion of their raise to the pension. What would be a better option? Lose pension accrual? ENE pension went up 20% in a year, a year. I would sign my 3.90 raises in a second for further growth. Would you give over those raises to save a multiemployer healthcare fund? Would you let them take pension contributions to save that same fund? Wouldn't this endanger that pension if contributions were diverted to H&W?

I have no idea of where your logic is formed? Not safe? A safety net is for that reason. Do you have a better plan in mind? Please don't say keep the UPS health plan. UPS doesn't want you anymore. Their plan was to get rid of you either through teamsters or having you pay out the nose. So trust me, your $10 copay is a walk in the park. Your still leaps and bounds ahead of anyone out there. Their original offer was not to get rid of us. Unless that offer was a lie and just a scheme by UPS and the Teamsters.

You also forgot to ask how many of these outside UPS Teamsters have to pay for a portion of their insurance. Your now asking 2 questions and trying to mean the same thing. Ask specifically what you want to be said. I'll get back to after I enjoy my Saturday of not slinging cardboard. Also, some of these other people I will end with this, I've had Teamster Insurance for 18 years, EVERY YEAR our plan has improved. We have never regressed. You have no experience with Central States teamsters. Many people have posted here on BC that we don't have a problem with a Teamster run healthcare plan - only one that is run by Central States.

balland chain

Hey Einstein the central states pension fund and the central states healthcare fund are two seperate funds that have nothing to do with each other.

So it is just like the social security trust fund that the Govt. keeps tapping to us the funds elsewhere ?? The pension and healthcare are separate, but CS has all the monies... And, in the proposal it stated that additional money for ins may need to go to the pension...

So it is just like the social security trust fund that the Govt. keeps tapping to us the funds elsewhere ?? The pension and healthcare are separate, but CS has all the monies... And, in the proposal it stated that additional money for ins may need to go to the pension...
There's no use trying to reason with people who are unreasonable.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
104 Feeder,

The carve-out is currently being looked at by actuaries. They are still trying to find out how much each member is going to be paying and if we’re gonna be able to give our retirees a better deal than the $300 a month they would have been paying under TEAMCARE.

As a matter of fact the company never disapproved the creation of our own health-fund. And you are dead wrong that Hoffa and Hall are on board with the Southwest. It was their idea to ram this up our azzes as they were never gonna honor the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Do you really think Ken H, who is looking to run for the union’s top position wants to carry the pressure of the Central States Pension Fund fiasco into the 2016 Teamsters Election? By the time the election comes, the Central States Pension will be close to extinct.

I guess we will see who is wrong. I proudly bake humble pie to order.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
This whole pension/healthcare mess was shoved down our throats for one reason. Sounds like obamacare. And your teamsteers supported him in '08 too. Ain't paybacks a bitch?

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/2-50-pension-increase-southwest-farce-351254/#ixzz2YTPiJ4iB

It has nothing to do with Obamacare and everything to do with fair accounting standards. Well that and the people running the show care nothing about you as a person just as a number. More fallout from going public.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
There will be a carve out plan and it will be approved. It only has to be as good at C6 Enhanced but it will be better & we will have a Summary Plan Description before we vote. The Company has no interest in disapproving the plan, and Hoffa/Hall are on board. By voting down all 3 CBA's in the West we assured our chance at controlling our own destiny.

The first year more is going to H&W to establish the fund, and $.05 to restore Post 65 coverage (which is very important) so only $9.85 to Pension the first year ($7.85 part time).

2nd & 3rd years the plan is to keep it at $.50/$.50

5th & 6th years are open, but the Company has committed to $1.01 & $1.14 so more can go to H&W if needed. There is a provision that allows members to vote to divert some of the general wage increase to Pension, so if necessary we can vote to do so those years, or any year, to divert more of the $1, $1.01, $1.14 to H&W. In no way will we allow our Pension to go unfunded or underfunded, and we are at 94% funded now. Best run pension fund in the Nation hands down. It's unreal that we basically have a part-timer following us around putting money into our Pension fund.

The carve out allows us to control our own destiny as that was lost with the passage of the National Master. Our local control over H&W is most likely gone forever. I urge you to allow Andy M to develop his carve out plan prior to your condemning the whole crew.
Thanks for injecting some highly accurate notes from what was an ungodly hot, non air conditioned room.
People are talking like the carve out plan already went down in flames, which is not accurate

balland chain

Now in the Southwest, we have Andy M, Ron H and RANDY C lying to the members that there's nothing we can do about our healthcare. Their saying that the members misunderstood what they were voting on. That we have no option but to go into TEAMcare--but when they held the meetings at the locals out here they lied through their teeth that they were working on a carve-out for the WEST and that we needed to vote YES because we risked losing the Memorandum of Understanding we had with UPS until November 1st. Even if we came out with the carve-out HOFFA was never going to honor it.

Now their gonna try to push a second vote without going back to the table. We will vote NO for the second time.

The biggest problem now is that we are fighting two fronts, UPS and the Teamsters.

The situation for the Central States is a disaster. In 2007 the Central States Pension Fund was over 70% funded, today its just over 50%.

Hoffa and Hall know very well that the Central States Pension Fund will not survive the next 5 years if they don't merge the 140,000 of us on company health-plans to into TEAMCARE.

Its pathetic that they want to put their fiscal corruption and incompetence on our backs.

We will continue to vote NO in the Southwest and possibly have to file a lawsuit against the IBT for trying to railroad us into accepting their sellout.

A lawsuit was already filed against them on behalf of the thousands of members that never received ballots.

For those of you who were smart enough and lucky enough to have your supplement voted down, STAND STRONG. I hope you all show the Union that we all deserve better. Too bad more locals did not vote their supplements down.. Send the message. I truly hope you guys are able to get better healthcare and pension increases and, not screw the retirees.. Best of luck.. You all deserve it for standing strong..!!!!!

For those of you who were smart enough and lucky enough to have your supplement voted down, STAND STRONG. I hope you all show the Union that we all deserve better. Too bad more locals did not vote their supplements down.. Send the message. I truly hope you guys are able to get better healthcare and pension increases and, not screw the retirees.. Best of luck.. You all deserve it for standing strong..!!!!!
Let me know how that works out for ya

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our supplement (Upstate/West New York) was voted down and it had nothing to do with healthcare.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

My supplement was voted in. I guess I'll have t o stand strong for the West with their better pension and benefits than mine. They have always been concerned about mine after all.:wink2:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
My supplement was voted in. I guess I'll have t o stand strong for the West with their better pension and benefits than mine. They have always been concerned about mine after all.:wink2:

Historically it's always been under local and regional control so that is who you should blame for negotiating away the stellar benefits we all received 35 years ago. We in the West shouldn't be put down for protecting our maintenance of benefit clauses. It's not like we are the only ones allowed to write such language.

CaptainObvious

There will be a carve out plan and it will be approved. It only has to be as good at C6 Enhanced but it will be better & we will have a Summary Plan Description before we vote. The Company has no interest in disapproving the plan, and Hoffa/Hall are on board. By voting down all 3 CBA's in the West we assured our chance at controlling our own destiny.

The first year more is going to H&W to establish the fund, and $.05 to restore Post 65 coverage (which is very important) so only $9.85 to Pension the first year ($7.85 part time).

2nd & 3rd years the plan is to keep it at $.50/$.50

5th & 6th years are open, but the Company has committed to $1.01 & $1.14 so more can go to H&W if needed. There is a provision that allows members to vote to divert some of the general wage increase to Pension, so if necessary we can vote to do so those years, or any year, to divert more of the $1, $1.01, $1.14 to H&W. In no way will we allow our Pension to go unfunded or underfunded, and we are at 94% funded now. Best run pension fund in the Nation hands down. It's unreal that we basically have a part-timer following us around putting money into our Pension fund.

The carve out allows us to control our own destiny as that was lost with the passage of the National Master. Our local control over H&W is most likely gone forever. I urge you to allow Andy M to develop his carve out plan prior to your condemning the whole crew.
Thanks for injecting some highly accurate notes from what was an ungodly hot, non air conditioned room.
People are talking like the carve out plan already went down in flames, which is not accurate

Anyone from WCT have a update on this? Or did Ken H's letter mean this has been iced?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Andy's plan is still being formulated and we have until November. We won't be voting on our Supplements until we have a Summary Plan Description to review. Ken is on board, the Company is on board, no one is rushing anything so just be patient.

CaptainObvious

Andy's plan is still being formulated and we have until November. We won't be voting on our Supplements until we have a Summary Plan Description to review. Ken is on board, the Company is on board, no one is rushing anything so just be patient.

Thanks for the reply. No rush here as I am under a Teamster plan in Wa. Just hadn't heard any news on this and was still hoping a carve out plan was still in the works for all of you in the SW.

So is the carve out plan for the SW supplement only or for anyone covered under the Western Supplement that has UPS health care?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
My understanding is it's the members of the West that had Maintenance of Benefits clauses and Local 177 (NJ) only.

Andy never floats ideas in the form of leaks to guage support. he will have a comprehensive plan for us to vote up or down. I'm not losing any sleep over it.