2 Center Managers Gone!

Jumperwire

Parceling the Fla coast
We had 2 center managers ask to leave last week. In all the years I have been here I never seen 2 get it at one time. My building only has 2 center manager's so now the sups are running the show. Its a shame 1 guy was really liked by his drivers and the other guy wasn't very well liked and he was due to retire within weeks!! Ouch! I hear it was a numbers game that got them. Anybody else seen this before or do you think the way business is now they are looking for any reason to blow people out of here???

rod

Retired 22 years
It ALWAYS boils down to the "numbers thing" but then again should UPS expect anything different. (are they really gone or will the surface again at some other center- they usually do.

whiskey

UPS is in the process of buying back the 10 percent of stock that was offered in the 1999 IPO. Now is a great time to accelerate that buy back. Unfortunately, since center manager's are awarded a lot of stock, it's the old, "two birds with one stone" rule. Not only do they get a bargain basement price for their stock, but now there are less center manager's to award it to.

Hawaii50

We had 2 center managers ask to leave last week. In all the years I have been here I never seen 2 get it at one time. My building only has 2 center manager's so now the sups are running the show. Its a shame 1 guy was really liked by his drivers and the other guy wasn't very well liked and he was due to retire within weeks!! Ouch! I hear it was a numbers game that got them. Anybody else seen this before or do you think the way business is now they are looking for any reason to blow people out of here???

Read the ERO management offer post. That post shows how intricate the deception is with in UPS management.

LightsOut

King Of All Managers
Ouch! I hear it was a numbers game that got them.

"Numbers", as you put it, is not a game, it is a direct result of effective leadership, which every management person accepts as required when they become UPS (as opposed to working FOR UPS). If the center manager's were not reaching their goal, then they were NOT effective leaders. Period. Whatever politics you suspect were considered in the decision to ask for their resignation wouldn't have come into play if they were supervising their team effectively. Management at ALL TIMES holds its future in its own hands.

Cheers, and stay safe out there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS is in the process of buying back the 10 percent of stock that was offered in the 1999 IPO. Now is a great time to accelerate that buy back. Unfortunately, since center manager's are awarded a lot of stock, it's the old, "two birds with one stone" rule. Not only do they get a bargain basement price for their stock, but now there are less center manager's to award it to.

Last time I looked, that 10% has turned into 69%.

Re-Raise

"Numbers", as you put it, is not a game, it is a direct result of effective leadership, which every management person accepts as required when they become UPS (as opposed to working FOR UPS). If the center manager's were not reaching their goal, then they were NOT effective leaders. Period. Whatever politics you suspect were considered in the decision to ask for their resignation wouldn't have come into play if they were supervising their team effectively. Management at ALL TIMES holds its future in its own hands.

Wow you really are the King of all Managers!

What if the pawns won't move like you want them to? Can you really control injuries, the volume and the weather with your ego alone?

Re-Raise

which every management person accepts as required when they become UPS (as opposed to working FOR UPS).

I know a lot of people consider the man in brown who brings them their pachage every day with a smile in all types of weather UPS. I didn't know sitting in an office looking at numbers was the real UPS. I don't think this would come from Jim Casey's mouth.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The flaw I see in your statement is that the center manager's I deal with aren't afforded the flexibility to manage any real facet of their operation.
It would be more appropriate to label them Center Facilitator.
As I see it they are asked to "juggle bowling balls with handcuffs on".
Corporate needs to return some of the decisions to these front line managers that are on the spot and can evaluate what's needed beyond the "forecasted" circumstances.

DS

Fenderbender

Sir.
Some mangement people seem to be able to reach those "Numbers" you speak of.Unfortunately its often at the expense of service providers that are targeted simply because they disagreed with an overbearing center manager.
In all my years(19 to be exact),I have only seen one center manager,and I've see quite a few come and go ,that got his results by treating people fairly and respectfully.He now holds a distiguished postion in Miami.
It may be that these managers,were not given the proper tools to keep the car running,you can't build a mercedes with a mechano set.
Cheers to you,and stay safe in there.

Foamer Pyle

Upper management expects the center managers to be able to put out a 20 acre fire with a garden hose. These people are set up to fail, just like us.

Re-Raise

I don't have any idea what happened to these managers, but I have lived long enough to know that you can't control everything. Just like a coach can try to prepare his team for success he can't guarantee it.

I think skewing the numbers comes from trying to please managers like Lights Out(should I know who he is?) rather than having superiors who can accept the truth and work from there.

redshift1

Many of the goals set for managers are for all intent and purpose unattainable
the theory being ask for less and you will get less.

UPSNewbie

Wow you really are the King of all Managers!

What if the pawns won't move like you want them to? Can you really control injuries, the volume and the weather with your ego alone?

Of course they can. It's called "Fudging: The Common Practice".

A good read. :funny: