2 ground stations in the same county?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by tonymontana7, Apr 19, 2015.

1. tonymontana7

tonymontana7 New Member

My smart post hub is becoming a ground hub in august.its only 8 miles away from another ground hub. How common is this?

2. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Very now that smart post is merging with ground.

It will still run its own separate operation though. As far as I know.

3. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

They're just eliminating the different brands under Ground. No more HD, no more Smartpost. We're all just Ground now.

4. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Right. They created a new service so they wouldn't have to pay us for the volume taken (like with HD), and now that the volume is gone they can bring it back to Ground without any legal ramifications.

5. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar.;)

6. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

Reminds me of a Dr. Phil saying - "if they'll do it with ya, they'll do it to ya"

(yikes! - invoking Godwin and Dr. Phil in the same day - how low can a guy stoop?!!!) :crying:

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The race to the bottom is almost over.

8. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

It's been over for quite some time.;)

9. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

It's not over until UPS crushes the union.

10. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Not without a "war" first.

11. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

The war is already being fought and the teamsters are losing. Right to work laws, general apathy by members, software created to eliminate the need for experience. I read on here that only 30 something percent of members even voted on the last contract. Ups will just take away from the workers knowing there is no will to strike. When their compensation comes down closer to our level the remaining members won't see much benefit to continue paying those dues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. tonymontana7

tonymontana7 New Member

13. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Despite both the companys rhetoric, experienced driver/courier will always run better than those without knowledge. UPS compensation is what keeps it from becoming the revolving door that FDX ground/express has become. I'm sure you would see a strike before you see people turning in their cards.

14. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

No software will ever replace driver knowledge or experience. That's just an engineer's pipedream.

15. bbsam

Doesn't have to replace 100%. Just 70% or so to flatten out the learning curve. We've done it here in the last couple months. New driver, minimal experience on route, used scanner provided GPS turn by turn directions for a month, and now he's able to do it on his own. He's not as quick as the previous driver but he's adequate.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

True but....

...adequate may be what the company is shooting for.

17. bbsam

Adequate after a month. Could be stellar in a year.

18. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are correct. It's sad though that a company that used to pride itself on excellence is now satisfied with "adequate".

19. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Adequate as far as production. Service numbers haven't diminished.

20. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

They sure have at my station. Lates are a way of life now and no one seems to care.