2 questions for drivers.

ibleedbrown

u dont bring an extra change of browns? radio? just wondering if u guys have any secrets that help ya get through the day. snacks and water sound like they would come in handy. how about maps?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

u dont bring an extra change of browns? radio? just wondering if u guys have any secrets that help ya get through the day. snacks and water sound like they would come in handy. how about maps?

I live on my area so if I do need to change I can just go home. Maps are for rookies and GPS would not be helpful other than to provide a general map of the area. Some of the guys bring radios but to me I spend so little time in the PC a radio wouldn't be worth it. Water is crucial as well as healthy snacks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

lol, just a guy that wants to go driving and tryin to learn as much as possible before i go in.

If you see a bid sheet in your center for a Saturday air driver sign it--this would be the best way to learn the DIAD, the delivery areas and to get comfortable with the job. You can also sign up to be a helper during Peak--this will give you a taste of the job without worrying about the driving part.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Those big $20 map books you can get at most convenience stores was my best friend on Saturday's.

ibleedbrown

If you see a bid sheet in your center for a Saturday air driver sign it--this would be the best way to learn the DIAD, the delivery areas and to get comfortable with the job. You can also sign up to be a helper during Peak--this will give you a taste of the job without worrying about the driving part.

thats exactly what i plan on doing. i just need to work on my stick shift driving. do u know if i have to get class c and go to integrad and dot physical for saturday driving? in the meantime i have been picking up a lot of info from this site, it would b nice to have the 5/8 keys and 340 methods to look through, do u think i can get that info from my center?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can get the 5/8 keys from upsers.com As for the 340 methods, I have been here for 22 years and have yet to see a copy. You do not need to go to driving school to drive Saturday air. I am not sure about the DOT physical for Saturday air. This may vary from state to state but in NY you need a Class C non-CDL license. Your center team would be the best source for the answers to your questions.

ibleedbrown

ok, thanks 4 the help! i got a few diff stories from various people one being a union steward lol i'm gonna try and rent a stick shift or a uhaul or something. i'll search on google, maybe the methods are posted somewhere.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are there any manual transmission package cars left in your center? There are none in mine. Yes, we are supposed to be able to drive both, but if you don't have any in your center they are not going to bring one in just for your road test.

ibleedbrown

there are very few manuals left, but from what i heard they have the stick shift for the integrad training. i just want to be comfortabale w the truck so driving it will be the least of my worries.

ups1990

Eggs, toast and coffee.

Being a blue collar guy, the lunch pail includes a turkey sandwich, fruit and the blue collar of all blue collar foods, a Twinkie.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
there are very few manuals left, but from what i heard they have the stick shift for the integrad training. i just want to be comfortabale w the truck so driving it will be the least of my worries.

Stick shift is going the way of the dodo. UPS is trying to make the driving job able ready for any monkey off the street can drive.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
.... do u know if i have to get class c and go to integrad and dot physical for saturday driving? ......... it would b nice to have the 5/8 keys and 340 methods to look through, ....do u think i can get that info from my center?
If your center has the smaller [-]trucks[/-]package cars for air drivers, you may not technically/legally be required to hold a class C license (look around the inside of the [-]truck[/-]package car cab for the GVW-gross vehicle rating, and compare it to your state's laws). Having said that, plan on getting the class C. Take the written test and get a learner's permit.
A DOT physical will be required, the company will send you to their clinic (or whatever the SOP in your area is).
Go to Integrad? I don't know. You will get some instruction, several ride-alongs with a supe. If your center has a qualified driving instructor supe, maybe it will all be done locally. I seem to recall reading here that there was a shorter Integrad program sometimes, only 3 days long, for seasonal drivers. Something like would probably be sufficient.
.... .... it would b nice to have the 5/8 keys and 340 methods to look through, ....do u think i can get that info from my center?
Your center or HR should be able to provide you with a copy of plenty of things to memorize. 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 10 rules of backing, yard control, etc. Maybe a picture of the DIAD keyboard layout.
As far as the 340 methods, probably not. They were actually deleted from the last training book (pre-Integrad). You can find them posted online if you search.

If one of the standard transmission [-]trucks[/-]package cars still left at your building is a 5 speed 'Spicer', see if you can practice with that. First gear is "out of the H", and is a very low ratio. The gearshift pattern should be on the top of the shift handle or on a sticker on the dashboard.

By the way, you are not going to like the paycut. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

You really don't need a map book. The DIAD is equipped with one.

What?? Maybe someone should tell the cover drivers who have been calling me during my vacation this week.

Seriously I have no idea what you are talking about here. Our traces are so bad you had better have a map to familiarize yourself with the area so you can make adjustments or we will never see you again.