2 Questions

Ashell

I have a coworker who bid to xfer to a new building opening up. The building is about to open, but now they are saying he is not on the list. Right now they are saying the only thing he can do is call HR. If HR says sorry, can a grievance fix the issue? Should he just show up anyway?

Second question: This sup was talking about how he is having a "contest" and the winning hourly will get cash. I thought this was against company policy. I just don't know which one. I'm also thinking it could be considered paid under the table since its earned income (a bonus) that is untaxed. Anyone know the policy? Or are things like this allowed?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have a coworker who bid to xfer to a new building opening up. The building is about to open, but now they are saying he is not on the list. Right now they are saying the only thing he can do is call HR. If HR says sorry, can a grievance fix the issue? Should he just show up anyway?
Call the local and ask them to check the bid sheets. That's where to start.

Second question: This sup was talking about how he is having a "contest" and the winning hourly will get cash. I thought this was against company policy. I just don't know which one. I'm also thinking it could be considered paid under the table since its earned income (a bonus) that is untaxed. Anyone know the policy? Or are things like this allowed?

The only thing they would be allowed to give out for a contest would be non-monetary rewards like UPS t-shirts, water bottles, pizza, ice scrapers, etc. The closest they've come to being able to give out money in my area was "hub bucks" where they would have these vouchers that looked like monopoly money but would work in the vending machines in the break room for snacks and soda.

Ashell

everyone breaks the rules at ups. hourlies and sups have signed training papers. If there is ever an issue they have documented proof you were trained. Management, well most of the time everyone buys the bull:censored2:. If someone and doesn't and files paperwork on it, management makes concessions as necessary. Necessary basically meaning, got caught. This is pretty much corporate policy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Just showing up doesn't mean they'll let him work...he'll probably get sent home.

Last year..preload had a misload raffle contest and gave away non ups merchandise prizes worth maybe 50 bucks. All cash bonuses that I've heard of are taxed, I believe.

Last edited:
J

jibbs

There are 4 questions marks so you tell me. I swear this place is managers sometimes because they change the subject to immature BS.

But technically, there should only be three. The second two questions are grammatically incorrect, and generally frowned upon in written word. Speaking aloud a sentence fragment like the last question is usually acceptable, though, so I see where you may've gotten confused. Here, let me show you:

Ashell said:
Anyone know the policy? Or are things like this allowed

See, it makes sense like this. Sentences are stand-alone operators, though, and if you removed a sentence from it's paragraph, one should still be able to understand what the sentence is about (you know, subjects and predicates, all that jazz). So, you tell me. Pretend you haven't read anything other than this sentence:

Ashell said:
Or are things like this allowed?

No one would know what you were talking about if you posted that as a stand-alone, Ash, but here, here's the fix. You just change the third question mark in your post to a comma, and make the immediately following 'O' in 'Or' lowercase and switch 'are' with the word 'whether' and I'm pretty sure you can still get a good grade on this assignment.

what Ashell Should've said:
Anyone know the policy, or whether things like this are allowed?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Twenty years ago we had a fund raising car wash for Special Olympics. The center (we had four in our building at the time) that raised the most money would get a pizza party. We are still waiting.