2 tier pay system, easy 100 or not?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
UPS has hired the bare minimum of drivers for the simple fact that they expect the 2 tier pay system to be in effect next year.

Thats the samething my shop steward said to me. He also alleges that where will be no need to fix the 9.5 language since all the drivers on the new pay system will be getting all the overtime with us top tier drivers getting no overtime.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thats the samething my shop steward said to me. He also alleges that where will be no need to fix the 9.5 language since all the drivers on the new pay system will be getting all the overtime with us top tier drivers getting no overtime.

I can tell you right now our dispatch sup isn't smart enough to figure out how to give an 8 hour day.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I'm still thinking that there is no way we will see a 2 tier pay system and I'm going to put one's money where one's mouth is. If you remember every one was saying the same thing about the last contract and that never happen.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks for volunteering to take a 5 year wage freeze for the good of your future brothers.

First don't want a 5 year contract how bout just 3 (not gonna happen I know). I won't be voting for any contract that has under $1 raise every year or a tiered pay scale. The only thing I might consider voting for would be longer progression 5 years would be tops and I would only vote yes if they started out at a higher rate and ended much closer to us. What it comes down to is I'll prob be voting no I know this.

babboo25

Banned
We got the $1 yr raises and more work, longer days and fewer friend/T jobs came with it. I'm fine with a 3-4 yr pay freeze, last 2-3 yrs of new contract 50 cents a yr is enough. UPS is going to try to make us pay for insurance, my driver sup told me he pays $300 month and he has no kids. UPS wants us to pay, Business Agent told us to decide if this is worth striking over. With record profits I cant see how any local will agree with making us pay for insurance. AT&T recently renegotiated their contract, employees now pay $250 month, its gonna happen sooner or later

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My story ; started in the 70's P/T @ $ 7.50 , made top rate $9.00 within the first year.
Not every contract came with wage increases, sometimes all monies went directly into Health & Welfare during the 80's. In order to get people to vote correctly the company started the bonus program , $1,000 for friend/T & $500 for P/T instead of yearly increases.
In the late 80's I became an air driver , $10/hr.
Only for one contract did I get a raise $1.66/hr while new air drivers started at $13.50 . I stayed at $11.66 until taking a combo job ( year 1 ) , which jumped my pay up to my inside rate.
Up to 2003 I did inside/outside work, I switched for one bid to another building still getting my top rate ( inside/inside ).
I switched back to my old building on the next yearly bid. ( in our system seniority stay with you no matter what classification you bid into ).
There was a change within the contract that no longer gave me one rate for all jobs, I was forced to drop $5.00/hr whenever I drove .
And when I finally was able to move inside/inside some how I lost my old P/T rate and lost $200 / wk , they only currently pay me for inside work at the top airdriver going rate.

upsman2940

I hope you are right over9five!! I still don't see how we take anything less than we have right now. Why would we agree to anything that sets us back even further than the last great contract? That 2-tier pay scale blows!! The wages we make now are worth far less than they were 4 years ago. Why would anyone agree to a pay freeze? What would we get in return? Ups has figured out that they make a lot more with a lot less. You can't trust the company to reduce the paid days. As far as insurance goes, I not willing to take less pay or pay for insurance. Anything we give back is only going to go to the shareholder. We are the backbone of this company and we should be treated as such.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think the company would be hard pressed to try to push the two-tiered pay scale, wage freezes and ask us to pay for part of our insurance all at the same time. I think our insurance is safe until 2018. I think current employees will continue to receive the same raises (yes, they will continue to be split) as in the past two contracts. I do think the two tiered pay scale will become reality with a signing bonus for the FTers.

leastbest

LeastBest
The real problem is if they offer a signing bonus the part timers will jump on it. When they wanted the two-tier for the part timers all of us Full Timers voted against it but the part timers voted for it. After all, they didn't plan on being there very long so take the money and run.

If they offered a thousand or more the full-timers would say no but part timers would grab it.

upsman2940

Why do we continue to have the same discussions? As long as UPS is making record profits there is NO reason to give anything up! I feel like we are always trying to get the crumbs from underneath the table! UPS will make all kinds of proposals. I felt terrible that we sold out the retirees that built this company on the last contract. Now some of you are willing to sell future employees out on this contract. What are we getting from UPS? Seems to me UPS is only willing to spend X on labor. So current employees keep taking from the past and future employee's. What will be left for the guys that retired (central states ), when it comes crumbling down? Will the drivers that come in your 2-tier pay scale take less pay but have a better retirement? I think not. They will take less and thats it. So all these part-timers that everyone so desperately wants to help will be getting screwed in the long run. They will make a few extra bucks a week till they get a ft position, and lose hundreds of dollars a week during their ft years! My point is no one should take less!!

mrvngrdns

I don't know if it will happen soon, but I think it will happen someday. The big UAW companies Cat and Deere initiated a two tier system years ago. It hasn't really put a target on the backs of the top tier employees, but has created tension between the "haves" and "have nots". As long as the pension system remains under stress, there will be pressure to enact it.

Brown58

#IamJairo
The proposal will include a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out. New FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract would fall under this system, if approved.

As stated above, this would put a huge target on the backs of those within 5 years of retiring.

I could see your first two being proposed and passed, the final part, not so much

HULKAMANIA

Upstate its easy for you to say you are all for a 2 tier pay system when you are sitting there at over 30 bucks an hour. Would you want to do this job for less than what you make? Do you realize that the majority of the people that do this job do it for the sole reason of what the pay is? Look at the turnover at UPS now, with this talk of a lower top wage you can bet your bottom dollar there would be even more. I know for me personally I wouldnt stick around, why would I want to work just as hard or harder than everybody else and make $5-10 an hour less? Thank the Good Lord that I got in on the old contract and I wont have to worry about it but seriously wow is all I can say. What good is a 5K signing bonus going to do? For someone to actually think that 5K is worth it is too near sighted to see the real picture.

Harassment is already bad enough from management, there is no interest of fairness with this wage thats being proposed. "A FAIR DAYS WAGE" remember? Tell me how a UNION can justify calling something like that FAIR?

Gang,you have to convince the part timers that want to stick around and get a full time job not to vote on a 2 tier system or any signing bonus that is offered.The company will work on the P/Ters because there is more of them than friend/Ters and their votes count just the same.I was around in the '80s when they did that and like what was said here before, the P/ters took the money and ran.Also remind them they are taxed on that money and it is not truly what is offered,only 66% or so_One solution might be to defer some of the money into the retirement plan in your local.Thankfully the leaders of my local (639) got us a very good retirement and I got my ass the hell away from there.Good luck on this negotiation and remember to pay it forward as the ones the came before you did.Keep a united front and don't let the company screw you.