20+ years drivers

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I remember when next air saver first came out and we weren't aloud to deliver next day air and savers together. We were told we have to go back later to deliver the saver's. Ups was worried that the customer's would get one next day air and the rest savers and it would cost them money. Boy we came a long way now they want us to deliver everything at the same time.

barnyard

KTM rider
I remember starting at 7:50. Guys with more seniority told me that they wanted to go back to the thrilling days of 7:30 start times.

How about no PCM??? Boss would walk over to the group and say, "Go to work."

Coolio.

I cannot remember the last time we went out without a PCM.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember when next air saver first came out and we weren't aloud to deliver next day air and savers together. We were told we have to go back later to deliver the saver's. Ups was worried that the customer's would get one next day air and the rest savers and it would cost them money. Boy we came a long way now they want us to deliver everything at the same time.
o

I can recall when they used to hold Second Day Air's at the air hub until the day they were due to be delivered.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I remember starting at 7:50. Guys with more seniority told me that they wanted to go back to the thrilling days of 7:30 start times.

How about no PCM??? Boss would walk over to the group and say, "Go to work." I cannot remember the last time we went out without a PCM.

Coolio.

Thats what I miss the most, the early start time we had back then. Atleast if you had a ten hour day you would still be of the clock by 1800.

You only did calltags when you had the time.and if you drove past a stop you would save it for tomorrow...bosses orders.There was never a missed package or a late air!(next day airs had a 1200 commit back then)

barnyard

KTM rider
There was never a missed package or a late air!(next day airs had a 1200 commit back then)

We also you have to split commit zips. 10:30 in town, noon OCL (outside city limits). Several years ago, everything with a split, went to the earlier time. Nothing wrecks a day faster than an NDA at the outside edge of a rural route.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Coolio.

Yep I know plenty of the old timers who had golf memberships because tere was time for a round after they got off work.

Start much later and ill have time for a round before work.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Green Consignee Billing labels

If you had a NDA you HAD to park in the front of the building to deliver it. Management wanted the public to see UPS delivered Air packages too. Walmart just LOVED me coming in the front with Air,then driving to the back

Walking around with$ 5,000 cash from COD's. In 1992 if you had over $1,000 in cash you had to go to bank and buy a cashiers check. Had a Customer call in once to say they over paid me by fifty bucks and wanted me to 'bring the money back'. That was a fun day!
Dr'ing in mailboxes if the mail had run

Gateway Computers ......they came in Three Big boxes

Only shutting the bulkhead door a couple of times a day

I had a helper a couple of peaks from the town i deliver in and he would drive in the residential areas while i sorted

There was NO over Nine Five Language. I worked 65-70 hours a week the first three or four years i drove. At peak it was very common to work until midnite.

Driving a Ryder Rental ,delivering at midnite and being confronted by 3 police cars .the cops came out with thier guns drawn and made me lay on the pavement. Someone called in and thught i was casing houses

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Coolio.

I have not had to suffer through a PCM in over four years. Am I missing anything important?

jg78

On a steamy 90 degree day when I finished my deliveries I would open all doors just to get a nice breeze. Plus the cargo area got cleaned up as well! Those were the days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have not had to suffer through a PCM in over four years. Am I missing anything important?

No

I was told they are mandatory and u must physically attend everyday.

I said sorry but when you dot have a route for me to run at 9am there are a few things more important.

Either I need to track down a route to run or if I'm going home I'm sure not waiting around for a PCM.