20+ years drivers

slantnosechevy

Bow ties and cop style hats. Phone calls. Blue labels. Delivery notices as big as the door hangers we use for Driver Followups now. Stainless clips. 4 cubes with the selection tray. 6 + 8 cubes with wooden bulkheads and wooden shelves. Phone messages at your first pick-up. Fingerhut, U.S. Purchasing, and Harbor Freight.

rod

Retired 22 years
P100's ---flat top Ford Econolines----then they went to bubbletop Econolines

no seatbelts in the package cars

plastic clip-on bowties

bus driver style caps

a Center Manager who could actually make a decision

bankers clips--also worked great for cutting off COD tags

being able to petty cash something if you needed it

safe driving parties where the company paid for everything----all night

the guys stuck together when it came to union things

having the government quit taking out social security out of your check about the middle of Oct. because you had maxed out your contributions for the year.

Thrift Plan---if only they would have let us contribute more than 6 bucks a week.

Big Idea--a monthly company magazine that was actually interesting with stories of drivers achievements and interesting stuff the company was up to.

oldngray

nowhere special
Remember when the Big Idea was Service? Not recently for sure.
And vehicles were washed every day whether they were dirty or not.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
at a pick up you had to sign the reg book ,,pink book, or green book(100 wght) ?? then they came out with that consignee billing sucked if you had a Barnes & Noble

Covemastah

My favorite was the RETURN TO SHIPPER LABEL !!!! The complete :censored2: who broke my ballz would often accidently get that on their package,,,,no clerks, I just made it go away !!!:happy-very:

Covemastah

Norditraks,,,the Encyclopedia sets, LL Bean Live Christmas trees,, House Of Loyd, Princess House, and who didn't hate when the Avon Lady Rep got those 40 to 50 pkgs???

oldupsman

P 400's!!
Just a great little car. You could put a full set of chains on them and they would go anywhere. I never once got stuck
in a 400 with a full set of chains on it. Had that big shelf over the engine where you could line up your next 10 to 15 stops.
They were just fun to drive.
Does anybody remember the old 600s with the collapsible shelves..that fall down all the time?
They were great for bulk pickups. You just set the shelves up and build a wall.
I remember starting at 7:50. Guys with more seniority told me that they wanted to go back to the thrilling days of 7:30 start times.

How about no PCM??? Boss would walk over to the group and say, "Go to work."

Coolio.

I cannot remember the last time we went out without a PCM.
Not only start time but finish time too. Lots of days I punched out at 5:00. Had to get done by then to get
the trailers loaded and on the road on time for the next day.
Ike jackets
Still got mine. The original one I was issued. Near the end of my career I use to wear it for the young guys. They all wanted one.
It was warm and easy to work in. It's part of my UPS collection I'm leaving behind to my family. Maybe 200 years down the road
the collection might actually be worth something.

Leftinbuilding

We had what were called "One Time Pickups". A customer (business) who was not a regular pickup account, could hand us a package, we would take it to a clerk who would weigh it etc, then we went back the next day to collect payment.

ikoi62

Lots of splinters from the bulkhead doors and wooden shelves. funny thing too..we had to have nda's off by 1030 and you made sure it was done by 1030 even though there was no diad or time stamp to prove it was done by that time.
no driver release..10 to 20 send again's were the norm.
locking keys in back of truck and being able to reach thru the hole in the bulkhead door to pull the chain to open it.

65Goat

Writing down the time you delivered a NDA on the bar-code label, funny how they were always on time. Driving half way to the next center over to get a ground package that had been mis-sorted. Then drive another hour and a half to deliver it.

Norditraks,,,the Encyclopedia sets, LL Bean Live Christmas trees,, House Of Loyd, Princess House, and who didn't hate when the Avon Lady Rep got those 40 to 50 pkgs???

I think us delivering NordicTraks was the most exercise many of them got. I had a Play It Again Sports on my route and she would give me business cards to tuck inside the box and $20 for every one she bought.