2008 Contract Issues

J

Jaker1968

We need language for 22.3 inside jobs, there are many gaps in contract that only address package drivers, feeder drivers, and part timers. I believe we need the ability to bid work areas for inside positions, it is the only way to stop blatant nepotism and favoritism. As far as raises are concerned, why on earth would we accept any less of a raise than we are already getting? This company is netting well over 1 billion a quarter, we should continue to share in that success. If the company was struggling, I'd be the first to say we need to make sacrifices, but they are successfull because of OUR broken backs. When Mike Eskew takes a drastic pay cut, I'll be right behind him taking mine.

I don't believe Braveheart suggested shirking responsibilities for his mistakes. He is asking to be treated fairly. Maybe the ties should do the same thing. UPS's seems to feel like money can replace family and life in general. Sadly, they are often proved right by their employees, both hourly and managerial.

crazygill

Up in the north country whats 9hr what 9.5 what is 10 out of 28 driver 1/2 are out 9.5 or better other 10 to 11 every day try being a bonus center they can swing the time any way they want 150 stops today worth 10 next day worth 9,2 with same amount of stop miles & pick up stops and pices. as far as contract issues: no money in wage more time off get off are butts try and telling the truth for onces, better or fix retirement, health care same or better. Take all the money you want to give us and put it to good use.

Braveheart

LOL, you are human and you make mistakes that you do not want to be held accountable for. At the same time you want to stiffen the penalties if we make the mistakes?:thumbup1:
We should be held accountable for bad mistakes like missing a pick up fo 50 air boxes not fired for having a bulk head door open or forgetting a cross t on a box. There is too much nit picking and vindictiveness.

Braveheart

All those increases are fine as long as you are much better than your competitor. If there is little difference between the service of UPS and FedEx, there is no way to give those pay increases and not undermine the future of the company. FedEx Ground gets straight time no matter how many hours over eight they work. Thinking you should get double time when your competitor is working at half your cost, is a sure way to watch your job disappear.
We are better than FED EX GROUND but they are improving. We are getting worse as well. Reasonable raises are doable but not 80, 90 and 1 dollar raises. I am talking flat 50 cent raises or 40 cent raises but the nit picking harassment is rediculous. We have good employees, both management and non management quiting due to the way this company treats its employees. Heck I would go to no raises for the full timers who have topped out and bonuses instead. But we have to pay the part timers better or we will continue to see the high turnover and the poor loads.

Braveheart

My boss has yet to miss one of his kid’s games, I’d like the same treatment.

I’d like to turn in a request 8 and have it honored. The latest trick by local management is changing your start time. Turn in a request 8 and they change your start time to 11:00 or 12:00 noon. You want an 8-hour day? Fine, start at 11 and I’ll see you at 8 PM. It’s that kind of crap that removes any chance of trust between hourly and management.

Penalties are needed for excessive overtime. Money is the only thing UPS understands.
Good post!

Braveheart

Someone needs to talk to the National Guard and Reserve UPSers about contract language. What I would like to see is, (1) UPS make up the difference in the gross income to equal 8 hours pay per day anytime a workday is missed due to military service, no matter if it is federal or state duty, training or a mission, voluntary duty or being activated. (2)All insurance and pension benefits are paid the entire time the employee is away from work for military service{this is for the family's benefit}. (3)Immediate reinstatement to work, the employee must inform UPS of the date they will be returning as soon as it is known, and provide documentation for the time missed upon returning to work. (4)All other userra laws still apply.

UPS claims to support and promote community service and involvment, so I think UPS should support employees that serve their neighbors, their states, and our nation. May GOD bless those who have served, who are serving now, and those who will in the future.
Good post! We did put those in our proposals.

Braveheart

I don't believe Braveheart suggested shirking responsibilities for his mistakes. He is asking to be treated fairly. Maybe the ties should do the same thing. UPS's seems to feel like money can replace family and life in general. Sadly, they are often proved right by their employees, both hourly and managerial.
Thanks. Every time a manager makes a mistake they want us to let it slide and give us one excuse after another. But if we make a mistake, even if its the first one all year, BAM its warning letter, suspension, termination depending on the day. Look a driver who costantly makes the same mistake needs to be held accountable just as do the managers. But one misdelivery in May, one late pick up in June, and one missed t cross in October is not habitual. It shows you are human and considering we handle about 100,000 pboxes a year delivered and picked up a few mistakes is to be expected. You could screw up 1,000 boxes a year and still be perfect 99% of your job. So even 100 mistakes means you are 99.9% perfect. So when a driver does make smaller mistakes on 2 boxes per month he or she is still 99.97% plus perfect! So lets get realistic here please.

Braveheart

LOL, you are human and you make mistakes that you do not want to be held accountable for. At the same time you want to stiffen the penalties if we make the mistakes?:thumbup1:
I actually rarely ever make mistakes but I am also not the fastest guy either. I am also not the slowest. The quality of my work is very good. I just see the drivers being attacked with the excessive discipline every day. They get bad attitudes because of the way they are treated.

Braveheart

I actually rarely ever make mistakes but I am also not the fastest guy either. I am also not the slowest. The quality of my work is very good. I just see the drivers being attacked with the excessive discipline every day. They get bad attitudes because of the way they are treated.

I'm for a 3 year contract no hourly pay increase just a cost of living increase and dump all the money in health and wellfare and pension. I'll worry about pay increase in 3 years. I'll also take third week vacation after 5th year instead of 10th. Also we mechanics deserve more of a tool allowance. $300 doesn't buy a full set of wrenches anymore. How about a night differential also.

bear123

I remember flat 50 cent raises for everone and xmas bonuses of $500 for pt and $1000 for full time and the harassment was not nearly as bad. We full timers are making $27 plus now and I think 50 cents per year is fine with a better pension, medical, disability, 9.5, 8hr, military leave improvements, reduction in harassment, and reduction in excessive discipline, christmas eve day off period if it is a Sunday or Saturday and if it is a Monday we work Saturday and get Sunday through Tuesday OFF!!! Lets get things in the contract that really help us not just our wallets. We need stronger protections from umbrella discipline where they try to link everything together under one thing like failure to follow methods BS. We are human and we make mistakes. If they mess up my pay a full days pay penalty instead of 1/2 if not paid by next week. If they don't pay my grievance in two weeks then add a fullday pay penalty per week just like the paycheck penalty. Its our union, our contract, lets tell them what we want in it!!!!!
In addtion to what you have said, braveheart, we need language for art. 22.3 people. Right now there is no language whatsoever for art. 22 people which means that the company pretty much makes up the rules as they go along. we were not aloud to work overtime and super saturday last peak season. Fortunately we filed a greivence for Super Saturday based on past parctice, and won it, but if that had been in the contract the company would not have had to pay us back pay.

brown bear

tieguy

Banned

I am curious with the penalty language you are paid extra time not earned if UPS makes a mistake would you be willing to pay an extra say 4 hours penalty if you did make the mistake? its a fair question don't you think?

E

Employer lurking

Don't push back too early. Just deliver some packages no matter what they are, and love it. The idea is to Want It All, want the hours, want the higher payrates, the long vacations, the benefits, etc. but to get there you might want to avoid these unnecessary grievances until you gain some years on ya, and more push-back power.

Yes, the Air payrate sucks and UPS is definately avoiding paying the Ground rate to another driver or TCD, or just by chance you are the only one available and the customer was on the phone 20 minutes earlier threatening to close the account won by a service provider. Who knows, just get some experience and be glad you are an employee with union contracts instead of having to dunk those pathetic excuse for french fries down at the Wal-Mart version of what used to be McDonalds, answering to a 300-lb female manager who walks to work every day. :) Sorry, I'm on a roll and I had to throw that in.

Take a deep breath of UPS and say, "ahhh, now that smells so much better than REAL b.s.!" :)

S

speeddemon

As I sit here this morning reading all these posts, one thing has occured to me. Its a very sad thing how our relationships between mgt. and hourly has gotten. I used to be so proud of my UPS company, not now. I do still cherish the relationships I have forged with my customers, now friends. I will stay here because I have too much time invested than to pull up and go somewhere else. I still think theres something to be said for the one who works for one company for such a long time. I take it one day at a time, and in the end, I will know I have been honest, hard working , and truthful. ........Carry on with yet another dividing topic.......