2010 Baseball

TheKid

UPDATE: According to the sources of Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan, Braun's urine sample sat in a FedEx shop over the weekend, challenging the integrity of the sample

P

pickup

He wasn't my choice---I would have much preferred they hire some unknown to manage the team.

On a side note, do you agree with the arbitration panel lifting the 50 game ban on Ryan Braun? I don't--I think it opens up a can of worms best left unopened. I wonder if they would have done the same for a lesser player.

I have been out of touch with the news the last few days, your posting about the ban being lifted is the first I have heard of it. I just checked: Ryan Braun Suspension Overturned: Brewers Star Wins Appeal After Failed Drug Test and read the story. Apparently , as kid succinctly stated in his post , the agreement in the drug testing clause was violated when the test sample did not make its way to the testing facility right away.

Now you might say Braun got off on a technicality and maybe he did. But the rules regarding testing were broken (thanks Fedex?) and those same strict rules have thrown many a player out of the game for a while due to technicalities( ex. a player takes a supplement that has something in it that the manufacturer did not state it did, I suspect that has happened). So it goes both ways.

I don't think it opens a can of worms. A precedent (if you want to call it that) has only been set now in cases involving the specimen not being delivered to the lab in a timely fashion. I don't think future arbitrators are bound by this ruling.

And when you say a lesser player, like Manny or Alex Rodriguez, I suspect the arbitrators would have ruled differently due to past misdeeds.

It is what it is or it is what it isn't.