2011 Consolidations?

Karma...

I think our people work very hard but I'm not sure why you would compare their compensation to others packages in other industrys such as pilots and mechanics.

I would be unfair not to include and compare them...After all, we all drink and eat from the same kettle so one would think that our compensations ( including retirements ) would be similar....

upandcomer

I would be unfair not to include and compare them...After all, we all drink and eat from the same kettle so one would think that our compensations ( including retirements ) would be similar....

WHAAAAAT?

Besides the obvious fact that they have specialized schooling and certifications that drivers don't have, the basis of your argument is so completly flawed. If you really believe what you are typing I can only figure you support communism. Everyone should be paid the same!

Viva la Castro, Che, Stalin, Mao, and Kim!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
WHAAAAAT?

Besides the obvious fact that they have specialized schooling and certifications that drivers don't have, the basis of your argument is so completly flawed. If you really believe what you are typing I can only figure you support communism. Everyone should be paid the same!

Viva la Castro, Che, Stalin, Mao, and Kim!!!

Did you say Che?

Anyway ... you just thought you understood what Casca was saying. I read it 4 times and did not have a clue what the hell he/she was trying to say.

upandcomer

Did you say Che?

Anyway ... you just thought you understood what Casca was saying. I read it 4 times and did not have a clue what the hell he/she was trying to say.

I am about 99% sure, what he meant was they all get paid by UPS and they are all union so they should all get paid the same. Of course I am sure he doesn't believe the Loaders should get paid the same, and I am also sure he would never consider that the Pilots and Mechanics should get paid less or the same as drivers. It is an obvious money grab attempt.

As far as Che, he was the standard Tyrant who used Communism as a political cover.

People talk about how bad Hitler was and maybe the smarter people know that Stalin killed roughly twice as many people, but Mao killed 40 million people. 40 MILLION!!! Nobody ever seems to talk about that though.

Karma...

I am about 99% sure, what he meant was they all get paid by UPS and they are all union so they should all get paid the same. Of course I am sure he doesn't believe the Loaders should get paid the same, and I am also sure he would never consider that the Pilots and Mechanics should get paid less or the same as drivers. It is an obvious money grab attempt.

As far as Che, he was the standard Tyrant who used Communism as a political cover.

People talk about how bad Hitler was and maybe the smarter people know that Stalin killed roughly twice as many people, but Mao killed 40 million people. 40 MILLION!!! Nobody ever seems to talk about that though.
Ok....my point is that there is an incredible difference across the country concerning pay for the same jobs, healthcare benefits and pension plans....Its like there is not a unifying contract under which the locals fall even considering their supplements.......and for hitler/stalin/mao/pol poi.(sp)....1 person is a tragedy...1000 is a statistic.......I suggest all of us take a look into the future and realize that with the global economy almost here the only growth we have is outside of the USA...At what point will UPS in the USA be a minor part the company and not worth keeping ?....except for the Air.....I welcome all views....

Karma...

Ok....my point is that there is an incredible difference across the country concerning pay for the same jobs, healthcare benefits and pension plans....Its like there is not a unifying contract under which the locals fall even considering their supplements.......and for hitler/stalin/mao/pol poi.(sp)....1 person is a tragedy...1000 is a statistic.......I suggest all of us take a look into the future and realize that with the global economy almost here the only growth we have is outside of the USA...At what point will UPS in the USA be a minor part the company and not worth keeping ?....except for the Air.....I welcome all views....

Consider the recent outsourcing of UPS non-union jobs to India ....Better positioning for the coming Asian growth...Look for more outsourcing outside the USA and within.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Consider the recent outsourcing of UPS non-union jobs to India ....Better positioning for the coming Asian growth...Look for more outsourcing outside the USA and within.

I'm a bit confused by the term outsourcing ... it's really just global employment.

whiskeyagogo

I'm a bit confused by the term outsourcing ... it's really just global employment.

It's global employment 'out'side our company. We are taking UPS jobs and asking other companies to do them. These outside companies have no 'ownership' culture to inspire them to do more than the absolute bare minimum required by their contracts. That's what the difference is to me.

Karma...

It's global employment 'out'side our company. We are taking UPS jobs and asking other companies to do them. These outside companies have no 'ownership' culture to inspire them to do more than the absolute bare minimum required by their contracts. That's what the difference is to me.

I agree....UPS is no longer an American company...When will the corporate location be moved to a more fitting location ?

UPSSOCKS

Anyone else's office feel like someone turned the heat up? I've been laying low and being very good at work. Extra nice to the help, and watching my back. Lots of traffic from all over the place rolling in and out. I don't even answer double rings anymore. In a couple days the shakedown is coming.... Hold on to your hats...

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

Is cost of living accounted for in the differences in pay between areas? Our pay here is established in the Atlantic Area Supplement.

I could deal with a pay freeze too but would be nice if it is accompanied by some concessions by the company, such as fans must be placed in package cars. The language now leaves that up to individual districts here. We were denied in-cab fan replacements for the last two summers and it gets over 100 friend pretty regularly. Not fun to sit in 105 degrees at a two minute light or a half hour jam in a dark metal box with absolutely no air moving. That gets almost unbearable real fast when the heat is combined with exhaust fumes.

Sorry for the rant/that one has been driving me CRAZY.
I could deal with a pay freeze if 'they' stop being meanies.

I think we will see a two-tiered pay system in 2013. I can't guess at when we will have to pay for insurance and lose other parts of our benefit package, but think it will happen. Best of luck when we have to lay out 300 bucks a month, somebody gets extremely ill and reaches a lifetime cap. Hopefully it won't be cancer caused by exhaust fumes.

island1fox

I agree....UPS is no longer an American company...When will the corporate location be moved to a more fitting location ?

Question: How many non American's are on the Board of Directors ?? For that matter how many non American's are on the Management Committee ?
How about ZERO !!! One or two Non American Region Level do not make UPS a non American Company !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Question: How many non American's are on the Board of Directors ?? For that matter how many non American's are on the Management Committee ?
How about ZERO !!! One or two Non American Region Level do not make UPS a non American Company !!

UPS is neither an American nor a Non_American company ... it is a Global company and becoming more so as time progresses.
The future of UPS is to become more and more a global company.
UPS will have to be very careful to ensure that unprofitable packages/shipments are eliminated from the US operations if UPS is to continue as a viable corporation.
As UPS does so, employees in the US will make up less and less of the total UPS Global workforce. IMO

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
UPS is neither an American nor a Non_American company ... it is a Global company and becoming more so as time progresses.
The future of UPS is to become more and more a global company.
UPS will have to be very careful to ensure that unprofitable packages/shipments are eliminated from the US operations if UPS is to continue as a viable corporation.
As UPS does so, employees in the US will make up less and less of the total UPS Global workforce. IMO

Sounds about right. Some folks are gonna need to be aware of all that so they can prepare themselves. Across the board. We really are all in the same boat.

whiskeyagogo

I would be 100% behind that effort if UPS was, in fact, hiring UPS employees/partners overseas. What is happening now is US jobs are being given to non-UPS employees in other companies. Based on personal experience and those that I've talked to, it is "just a job" for the overwhelming majority of this non-UPS workforce. Granted, there are people like that in the US UPS workforce but that's a very small minority by comparison.