2011 International Convention slate?

dillweed

Hi - have a question here. Got my form to vote on delegates for my local's International Convention. There is the usual slate from main area of our local. Also one other which is comprised only of people from my center.

Not sure how this came about. Never heard a peep around the building and there was never a sign up sheet for these people. There are a few people on the list well known to cozy (too close) with management. Some of the others I've known to be good eggs.

How do I know these people are qualified to vote for the good of all? Is it normal for one building to produce a full slate or should it be made up of people from different centers throughout the local? Does this stink or is it just the way things are done?

dillweed

Good point. However, so far, I have a good wage, benefits and job security. Seems the other slate hasn't done all that bad.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I hear you. I just know where I am, we don't see the union until election time. Then, they start doing just enough to hold over your head in hopes of getting your vote. Why do they go to Florida at the time of school vacations for the Panel? Why not N. Dakota? I have a lot of questions for the union. I have more for the company.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I hear you. I just know where I am, we don't see the union until election time. Then, they start doing just enough to hold over your head in hopes of getting your vote. Why do they go to Florida at the time of school vacations for the Panel? Why not N. Dakota? I have a lot of questions for the union. I have more for the company.

It's easier to deal with the long days of stress of empty politics and lying to the masses with warm sun and a few mojitos.

dillweed

Hey, thanks for even discussing with me. I've had questions for years, many of them but they don't get answered. The more questions I have asked, the bigger the target on my back. As far as company, I decided to not wonder why it is, just accept THAT it is.

Unfortunately, 'tis the same with union. My question about this slate being formed without the knowledge of all members will not be answered. My curiosity about an entire slate being comprised of people from just one center will never be satisfied. Why so many of them are tight with management will not be known. It just is.

I hope that some of your questions will someday be answered but don't knock your head against the wall. There's a lot goes on in life that we never know and may be best off not to know. Long as we get our wages, bennies and as long as they stay off our backs life is good. We can punch out, go home and live our lives free of the drama. OK, that pep talk was as much for me as anyone else. We can now continue to enjoy our weekend!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A slate can be comprised of anybody who cares to affiliate themselves with one another.
Traditionally to get elected as a slate, all or most factions or trades within the local union are represented within the slates candidates.
However, you are not required to vote for a slate in it's entirety.
If you are acquainted with some from each slate, there is nothing precluding you from choosing several from each slate.
We call it "cherry picking".
This is true for any union election as far I know.
Educate yourself and vote your conscience.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A slate can be comprised of anybody who cares to affiliate themselves with one another.
Traditionally to get elected as a slate, all or most factions or trades within the local union are represented within the slates candidates.
However, you are not required to vote for a slate in it's entirety.
If you are acquainted with some from each slate, there is nothing precluding you from choosing several from each slate.
We call it "cherry picking".
This is true for any union election as far I know.
Educate yourself and vote your conscience.

Our local represents many different trades. During the last election one of the slates was composed almost entirely of UPS employees from my center. The only non-UPSer on the slate works at a local quarry. The slate did not win, in part, because they did not represent a cross-section of all of the members of the local.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Hi - have a question here. Got my form to vote on delegates for my local's International Convention. There is the usual slate from main area of our local. Also one other which is comprised only of people from my center.

Not sure how this came about. Never heard a peep around the building and there was never a sign up sheet for these people. There are a few people on the list well known to cozy (too close) with management. Some of the others I've known to be good eggs.

How do I know these people are qualified to vote for the good of all? Is it normal for one building to produce a full slate or should it be made up of people from different centers throughout the local? Does this stink or is it just the way things are done?

Just about everything you want to know can be found at www.ibtvote.org

Your Local is required to post the Local Union Election Plan at every

location within your Locals jurisdiction.

-Bug-