2011 Management Job Reductions

BrownTie

I heard the same thing, some management, namely supervisors and some managers are being offered early retirement.

Karma...

I heard the same thing, some management, namely supervisors and some managers are being offered early retirement.

I heard that the buyout will be for any non-union person over the age of 55.....The terms will be the same as the one of 2010...The offer begins early april 2011...This in response to both the need for cut backs, the degree of planned out sourcing and the cost of lawsuits of not including supervisors in the 2010 buyout. I know that will finally certainly clear the company of the veteran people who are just rusting away..waiting...waiting..waiting...for their social security etc........I heard some songs on the oldies station with lyrics "get it while you can" rust never sleeps" " why cant you retire and get out of our way".....there may be more but that was their generation when they were young and wanted the old people give them some space !......

PhatAzz

I heard that the buyout will be for any non-union person over the age of 55.....The terms will be the same as the one of 2010...The offer begins early april 2011...This in response to both the need for cut backs, the degree of planned out sourcing and the cost of lawsuits of not including supervisors in the 2010 buyout. I know that will finally certainly clear the company of the veteran people who are just rusting away..waiting...waiting..waiting...for their social security etc........I heard some songs on the oldies station with lyrics "get it while you can" rust never sleeps" " why cant you retire and get out of our way".....there may be more but that was their generation when they were young and wanted the old people give them some space !......

You sure about the age???? I heard any one over 50

mg5

Ok....Are we wishing, guessing, just pushing on a rumor or getting younger management firing up older management. If any truth to it, with the new year QPR and P&L rules maybe mgmt can just get forced or pressured to leave normally and save company money. Quit early or fired and leave all RSU's on the table.

It would be nice.....BUT..doubtful.......Tieguy, Pretzel & Hoaxste ?????? Comments or thoughts on this one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok....Are we wishing, guessing, just pushing on a rumor or getting younger management firing up older management. If any truth to it, with the new year QPR and P&L rules maybe mgmt can just get forced or pressured to leave normally and save company money. Quit early or fired and leave all RSU's on the table.

It would be nice.....BUT..doubtful.......Tieguy, Pretzel & Hoaxster ?????? Comments or thoughts on this one.

Have not heard anything ... not even any rumors.
UPS is a very methodical company and I think they would look at the impacts of last years offer and future projected needs before offering another buyout.
Maybe 2013 if at all.

tieguy

Banned

It would be nice.....BUT..doubtful.......Tieguy, Pretzel & Hoaxste ?????? Comments or thoughts on this one.

too soon . I think they are looking for a 3 to 5 year payback on the last offer before they move into the next phase. I believe there is a next phase though.

pretzel_man

Not going to happen....

There isn't excess management now. In fact there are some openings.

island1fox

Not going to happen....

There isn't excess management now. In fact there are some openings.
Pretzelman,
The comment that there are some Management openings are true if we look at some low level operation positions. On the other hand every knows that while we drastically reduced Regions and Districts --Corporate has a long way to go -many still hanging on after the 2010 offering .:wink2:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'm still trying to figure out how the stronger, leaner, meaner, closer to the customer company is going to complete the same amount of work and manage at the same level with significantly less people. It ain't happening in my neck of the woods...just less getting done, more stuff falling through the cracks and more people getting away with stuff that needs to be addressed.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I heard it was due to the lawsuit brought about by that group of supervisors who were discriminated against for not being included in this years buy out offers.perhaps another offer will be that all the elderly management over 50 will have full retirement.that will clear them out and make room for the youngsters.

As long as the offers are reasonable and they are indeed only offers (u should be able to stay if u want to), sounds like a plan stan. Do no harm i say.

I really don't see many pre-1962 folks turning it down if it is true.

There's a retirement home around the corner that starts taking ppl at 55 if y'all just wanna keep that in mind.:happy2:

pretzel_man

Pretzelman,
The comment that there are some Management openings are true if we look at some low level operation positions. On the other hand every knows that while we drastically reduced Regions and Districts --Corporate has a long way to go -many still hanging on after the 2010 offering .:wink2:

Fox,

Not sure about what you are saying....

The district openings are entry level supervisor positions. More entry level openings will come.

Yes, I think Corporate is still too big and fat. They have shrunk, but can shrink more. I'm seeing fewer replacements than before (at least that's how it seems). Most groups seem smaller now.

I think it will be a while before promotions really begin again. I don't see it hapennig due to growth, so it will be via attrition I guess.

island1fox

pretzel-man,
Believe me I am not stalking you :wink2:and again I agree with most of your very informed and balanced posts.
My point was that I believe we have made good solid reductions in the number of District and Region level management and admin people --just by eliminating their positions and not leaving too many other choices. With the retirement offering some in Corporate made the move but without "positions" being eliminated there are still too many hanging on. As you know it would not be proper to name names --but you work there- can you still see the trees while standing in the forest? Corporate has a long way to go and attrition is a very long process when dealing with some of the highest paid management.
Bottom line I was just disagreeing with the statement that we do not have any excess management. Is not the cafeteria still rather full during multiple coffee breaks and lunch ??:peaceful:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I know where we can down size...

All the people doing the region safety audit...

If the same 9 people who came to our area to do the safety audit, gave the same amount of scrutiny to time studies (fix it, give the proper allowence, etc, etc,) in any center we would save at least $500k a year in my center alone.

BURMDPsupe

I know where we can down size...

All the people doing the region safety audit...

If the same 9 people who came to our area to do the safety audit, gave the same amount of scrutiny to time studies (fix it, give the proper allowence, etc, etc,) in any center we would save at least $500k a year in my center alone.

Reading, PA?

UPS will keep the Keter team fully funded to avoid potential fines from the government.

M-

pretzel_man

pretzel-man,
Believe me I am not stalking you :wink2:and again I agree with most of your very informed and balanced posts.
My point was that I believe we have made good solid reductions in the number of District and Region level management and admin people --just by eliminating their positions and not leaving too many other choices. With the retirement offering some in Corporate made the move but without "positions" being eliminated there are still too many hanging on. As you know it would not be proper to name names --but you work there- can you still see the trees while standing in the forest? Corporate has a long way to go and attrition is a very long process when dealing with some of the highest paid management.
Bottom line I was just disagreeing with the statement that we do not have any excess management. Is not the cafeteria still rather full during multiple coffee breaks and lunch ??:peaceful:

Fox,

I don't take any of your thoughtful responses as negative.

I am not part of Atlanta. I have turned down those corporate assignments multiple times. I do not like the corporate office, but I do go there a few times a year.

I do know that over the years, they have downsized. Groups that used to have many offices and cubes are now in smaller areas. Should they cut further? I think so, but not sure where?

Finance? Marketing? As I said, I have seen a reduction over the years. I would like to see them smaller still, just don't know enough to say where.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Reading, PA?

UPS will keep the Keter team fully funded to avoid potential fines from the government.

M-

They significantly cut the number of inspection last year. The chance of seeing them is much smaller now than before. I think they do two audits per week, twice a month in each region. The schedule is the same, but the number of regions shrank.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Fox,

Not sure about what you are saying....

The district openings are entry level supervisor positions. More entry level openings will come.

Yes, I think Corporate is still too big and fat. They have shrunk, but can shrink more. I'm seeing fewer replacements than before (at least that's how it seems). Most groups seem smaller now.

I think it will be a while before promotions really begin again. I don't see it hapennig due to growth, so it will be via attrition I guess.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They still expect the same and ask for the same or more, but there are alot less people in the district to carry out the requests. Add in the fact that you have to fill the void of payroll, finance, HR, TSG, labor and admins and it equals a lot of stuff not getting done. They need to thin out the requesters in order for us Indians to keep up!