2012 Minimum Wage Increase

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yes. State minimum wage right now in WA is $8.67. As of Jan. 2012 it will be $9.04. I just found out tonight that UPS will probably pay the new wage. Then I'll get the $1 raise after my 90 days.

You will not get a $1/hr raise. That is not what the contract says (Article 22 Section 5(b)).

GoneBrown

You will not get a $1/hr raise. That is not what the contract says (Article 22 Section 5(b)).

Hmm... I'm trying to learn more about the union, especially regarding the contracts. I was told last night that what ever contract you are hired under you will have to go by that contract for as long as you work at UPS. Are you talking about Art.22 Sec. 5(b) from the most current contract or the one you were hired under?

During my cornerstone classroom sessions I was brought in to an HR office to fill out some paperwork. While doing so I was given a piece of paper that outlined certain things like when health insurance kicks in, what will be covered, what my wage will be in the beginning and how much I will be making after 90 days. On that piece of paper it says after 90 days I will receive a dollar raise.

I guess I will find out soon enough.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hmm... I'm trying to learn more about the union, especially regarding the contracts. I was told last night that what ever contract you are hired under you will have to go by that contract for as long as you work at UPS. Are you talking about Art.22 Sec. 5(b) from the most current contract or the one you were hired under?

During my cornerstone classroom sessions I was brought in to an HR office to fill out some paperwork. While doing so I was given a piece of paper that outlined certain things like when health insurance kicks in, what will be covered, what my wage will be in the beginning and how much I will be making after 90 days. On that piece of paper it says after 90 days I will receive a dollar raise.

I guess I will find out soon enough.
If that piece of paper explicitly says you will receive a dollar raise, then maybe you will. Save it.
The contract gives a starting rate, $8.50 (except your state's min. wage is greater, and therefore applies).
The contract gives a start + 90 days rate, $9.50
The net effect (9.50-8.50=$1.00) is a dollar raise, but nowhere does it say $1.00 is added to start rate ($8.50 or $8.67 or $9.04)
The start + 90 day rate of $9.50 exceeds the minmum wage rates you mentioned, and is what I predict will be your pay rate after 90 days.

P

pickup

Listen you NY'ler !
Manager at a pizza franchise earns probably around $12 US (here it's $15 or $16 an hr).
I know !

Don't make your boy sound better than he is, like you praise yourself more than you deserve.

oh no! , you didn't!!!

P

pickup

So you wanna obilish Obamacare, too - so your son is no longer a freeloader and belongs to the other uninsured 27% ?

Just wondering.

Speaking of freeloading, are you ever going to re-pay the unemployment insurance fund the money you fraudulently collected while you were "looking for jobs" in other countries?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

If that piece of paper explicitly says you will receive a dollar raise, then maybe you will. Save it.
The contract gives a starting rate, $8.50 (except your state's min. wage is greater, and therefore applies).
The net effect (9.50-8.50=$1.00) is a dollar raise, but nowhere does it say $1.00 is added to start rate ($8.50 or $8.67 or $9.04)
The start + 90 day rate of $9.50 exceeds the minmum wage rates you mentioned, and is what I predict will be your pay rate after 90 days.

UPS would love to pay the part timers what the company believes they are worth, unfortunately there are minimum wage laws that get in the way of that.

nystripe96

I believe a PT job at UPS is well worth it if it suits ones particular needs. Extra money to help one through school, health coverage, etc. In my case I work two PT jobs now so the little extra income through UPS goes a long way. There's constant hassle & performance pressure sure, but its only 4 hours a night so just gotta wear that thick skin & get through the B.S. Without my other job I would tend to agree working PT at UPS would not be ideal considering I'm pushing 30

GoneBrown

Ah... I see. So there's a chance that after my 90 days I will jump a dollar from my starting wage. I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

So much to learn.

FAVREFAN

What a sad commentary on the state of a UPS part-time job.
We should ALL be embarrassed.
Actually, just corporate UPS should be embarrassed. There is always a big uproar and backlash against Walmart and big box stores because they don't pay enough to new employees. Yet those companies offer much easier, climate controled jobs, many times with employee discount cards. UPS paying minimum wage for back breaking work with very inconsistant hours isn't just embarrassing, it's a disgrace to the company name. Seriously, think about it, minimum wage to work in a 100 degree or 0 degree trailer. What a shame it is. Worse than any big box company by far.

upsman68

OK, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but it is getting really old.

My son is a FT college student who is working at Papa John's for spending money. He will be graduating in December with a four year degree in Global Supply Chain Solutions.

The thread is about health care coverage for children and that is what my post was about. Our health insurer (NYS Teamsters Health and Welfare Fund) has been mandated to extend coverage to uninsured children who have not yet turned 26 and are not offered coverage through their employer. Papa John's does not offer health care to their employees, even the FT ones, so my son is now on my insurance.

I suppose it could be worse---he could be in his mid 40's, been fired from his job for drinking on the clock, pushing a hot dog cart.

Better Benefits: Papa John's Restaurants | Papa John's: Better Ingredients. Better Pizza.

Papa Johns does offer health insurance

Catatonic

Nine Lives