2012 Pay band.......

beentheredonethat

2 years ago they changed QPR a little but the biggest change was the requirement to distribute everyone on a bell curve based on Final score.
I've said this many of times before. The best way to be successful is to follow in the wake of a terrible mgmt person. You look great in comparison. I was joking before, but it's really a true statement. Now, if you are below the 130%, the best thing for raises is to work in an area with other peers who aren't good.

DS

Fenderbender
We, management, appreciate your empathy ... please remember that the next time you get dispatched with 11 hours of work. :hi5:
That's what I'm really saying,that 11 hours work every day is an extra $275 on my paycheck every week.I'd rather work 8.5 hours every day and let the sups that make it happen get that extra cashI wish ups could get a universal set of standards,that would guarantee every employee an acceptable level of corporate respect in regards to initiatives and growth.The new regime tends to blindly overlook what got us here.Customer service.Where I am they are encouraging drivers to ADL all first delivery attempts.I refuse to make my customers in old age homes go 3 miles on their motorized scooters to get their package at the ups store.I still care.We get treated like we are ripping ups off if we cant run scratch,or end up on some report or god forbid...miss a scan...All we really want is to deliver every package every day no matter what it takes.ups could be apple if they tried,but they just can't see,the beauty of the forest hiding in the trees

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The QPR itself didn't change. The way it is used changed this year and how its tied to the raise changed this year.

I thought that was for 2010 year and the use of the Final score distributed along a Bell Curve and then the assignment of "raises" was based on that.
Also, if a person is .99 or less, they cannot get a grade bump (Grade 12 to a Grade 13).

It takes a couple of years before everyone learns to play the new game and all the ground rules.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Slow implementation. The QPR score will be used as a multiplier for the raises in the future. QPR is weighted against the employee. The best you can get is 120. The worst is 0. If you work an entire year to achieve the best results ever your starting point the following year is the best results ever. Anything short of the best results ever equates in a zero for the element.

The odds of making every element (given a 50/50 chance based upon 16 elements) is about 65,000:1.

TSup

Here is my issue with the great new system. What about the extended centers, many of which do not have Managers in the building? Supervisors in the extended centers are not just On Cars or PDS's. If you look at the Pay Band training on upsers.com it states the pay bands are based on Job Models. If I was to follow my Job Model, and only the responsibilities it states I am paid for, nothing in my center would get done. This Is a way to control Pensions for those close to retirement. In the next few years there will be more Supervisors retiring than ever before, what a great way to control those costs if you are UPS.

Mick32

They still present Casey speeches in workshops and everything he says seem to go against what UPS has become. I don't imagine he'd be too happy about UPS being a public company.

Has anyone looked into a Class Action Lawsuit? They are discriminating against many of the people that have kept UPS solid and strong for years. The supervisor that has been there for some time and has done well in their departments that they were placed in. Now, we are systematically being eliminated for doing well through the years. They are trying to see how many people quit before they can get at the full amount of pension that they have worked their whole career for. 15 years ago, they would have offered a buy out to shrink management. Now....it looks like they are trying to force you out by not giving you what you have worked for all year. I think Jim Casey hears all this and rolling in his grave. The new regime has thrown out all of the basis that this company was founded on for their own benefit. The next few months will prove interesting to say the least!

pretzel_man

Slow implementation. The QPR score will be used as a multiplier for the raises in the future. QPR is weighted against the employee. The best you can get is 120. The worst is 0. If you work an entire year to achieve the best results ever your starting point the following year is the best results ever. Anything short of the best results ever equates in a zero for the element.

The odds of making every element (given a 50/50 chance based upon 16 elements) is about 65,000:1.

I thought that was for 2010 year and the use of the Final score distributed along a Bell Curve and then the assignment of "raises" was based on that.
Also, if a person is .99 or less, they cannot get a grade bump (Grade 12 to a Grade 13).

It takes a couple of years before everyone learns to play the new game and all the ground rules.

Fracus: QPR does NOT work that way. You can make zero elements and get rated highly. QPR is 100% subjective based on your manager's input. Of course the opposite is also true. You can make every single element and be rated a needing improvement manager.

As far as I can tell, nothing changed at all with QPR this year. Its MIS that changed along with the Banding plan.

Hoax: In TMS, you can see how your "bell curve" compared to the company. There is NO forcing of ratings to the bell curve (except for IS I think)

Next year is the year to watch out for. Anyone rated an SP or EP made out great (unless the bands put them over max).

With the scores 100% subjective, managers who rate easier will get higher raises for their people. I predict a quota will eventually be put in place.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Fracus: QPR does NOT work that way. You can make zero elements and get rated highly. QPR is 100% subjective based on your manager's input. Of course the opposite is also true. You can make every single element and be rated a needing improvement manager.

As far as I can tell, nothing changed at all with QPR this year. Its MIS that changed along with the Banding plan.

Hoax: In TMS, you can see how your "bell curve" compared to the company. There is NO forcing of ratings to the bell curve (except for IS I think)

Next year is the year to watch out for. Anyone rated an SP or EP made out great (unless the bands put them over max).

With the scores 100% subjective, managers who rate easier will get higher raises for their people. I predict a quota will eventually be put in place.

The Goal Results are calculated as I described. The subjective Performance Evaluation is intented to be based upon these results.

I suppose it can be said that the entire management team tracks, reports, and reviews these useless numbers (Goal Results) for absolutely no reason during weekly planning meetings, monthly QIP meetings, and quartery, bi-annual and annual QPR reviews, but many may disagree with this analogy.

In some business units, the Goal Results equate to 40% of the total QPR score and this score is used as a multiplier for merit indreases and MIP.

I predict this will be implemented system wide in the near future as the final piece of the "Performance Based Pay" campaign.

beentheredonethat

Quite a few years ago, an HR mgr printed out the QPR scores for all departments to the shared printer and never went to get them. I went to grab a printout I sent out at the end of the day. (Note: At end of day, we usually sorted out printouts that were left and delivered any paperwork that was obvious for someone, otherwise we recycled the printouts.) Well, I thought it was funny The least best supervisor\Mgr in HR had a better QPR score then the best supervisor\Mgr in the Hub operations. To some extent, there should be some kind of forcing to a bell curve. However, a div mgr should be able to make exceptions occasionally if he\she has a group of exceptionally good or poor performers. I just think it's funny how stuff like that went on and continues to go on.

8up

okay, i'm confused, again.
the top tier mgmt folks in Atlanta are not paid relative to their position as comparative Dow Jones companies. yet their compensation packages seem very gracious.
lower mgmt, (sups) are over paid relative to their counter-parts in other companies?

i see the hours these sups work, 11 - 14 hrs a day, so i wonder, how does this compare to other companies?
if you are a friend/t sup, can you tell me how your compensation breaks down to a $/hr rate and compare that to a driver's rate considering the driver is earning 1.5 on o/t, i won't even ask you to mention how the benefits package compares.

thanks forward for you replies,

roadkill

50% of the management team in my department was negatively impacted by this new pay band. The attempt to bring pay into line with the market does not apply to upper management. The CEO of FedEx made $7.3 million dollars in 2011, which was a decrease from 2010. Our CEO got a 22% pay increase. Thank goodness I had not voted my shares yet before I was told I made too much money. I have been with UPS for 28 years and have been told there is a good chance I won't get a raise next year. I remememebr the days when we were all called partners. I really miss those days. This has in essence taken away my 1/2 month bonus since I will not get a raise based on the fact I am overpaid. I rated over 110% on my QPR and was rated a strong perfomer. I am responsible for an AM and PM operation. If I'm not at work I am basicly on call.

lowlysup

For all those who talk about lawsuits, I have been told by several management employees that after completing their QPRs for their employees, they were told by upper management to go back and do them again....with lower scores. Are you kidding me? That is crying for a lawsuit. And for my shares, I voted against each and every member of the Compensation Committee.

pretzel_man

The Goal Results are calculated as I described. The subjective Performance Evaluation is intented to be based upon these results.

I suppose it can be said that the entire management team tracks, reports, and reviews these useless numbers (Goal Results) for absolutely no reason during weekly planning meetings, monthly QIP meetings, and quartery, bi-annual and annual QPR reviews, but many may disagree with this analogy.

In some business units, the Goal Results equate to 40% of the total QPR score and this score is used as a multiplier for merit indreases and MIP.

I predict this will be implemented system wide in the near future as the final piece of the "Performance Based Pay" campaign.

Goal results are calculated exactly as you said. Those are NOT your QPR scores.

I also predict their will be a quota in the future. It does NOT exist yet however.

Karma...

When do you think the MIP will either disappear or be again modified ( I surely dont want to use the word enhanced ) ?I see more people getting zero MIP in the coming years. The transition from a superb partnered private company to a so-so public company is virtually complete. The people who took the company public and then soon retired must be very proud of themselves. Took the money and ran. Their stock options and the price of the stock when awarded meant they made out quite well and left the coming management out in the cold. The old rules of the private company do not apply anymore. Its taking a long time for this to completely sink into the old school heads.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When do you think the MIP will either disappear or be again modified ( I surely dont want to use the word enhanced ) ?I see more people getting zero MIP in the coming years. The transition from a superb partnered private company to a so-so public company is virtually complete. The people who took the company public and then soon retired must be very proud of themselves. Took the money and ran. Their stock options and the price of the stock when awarded meant they made out quite well and left the coming management out in the cold. The old rules of the private company do not apply anymore. Its taking a long time for this to completely sink into the old school heads.

When do you think the MIP will either disappear or be again modified ( I surely don't want to use the word enhanced )?

Good question. Analysts hate the MIP and it hampers UPS from getting top-tier candidates since (apparently with good reason) colleges teach students to disregard bonus based compensation.
5 years ago, I would have thought it would have happened already.

I see more people getting zero MIP in the coming years.
That seems to be the natural consequence of forcing work groups on to a bell curve for QPR/salary raises.

The transition from a superb partnered private company to a so-so public company is virtually complete.

Superb is probably a cloudy memory and so-so is too harsh (unless you are talking about the stock).

The people who took the company public and then soon retired must be very proud of themselves.
Took the money and ran. Their stock options and the price of the stock when awarded meant they made out quite well and left the coming management out in the cold.

That is the perception of many.

The old rules of the private company do not apply anymore. Its taking a long time for this to completely sink into the old school heads.
Only the dim-witted ones .... it's probably more just momentum than a true belief.
It probably feels the same for Level 20 and above since they enjoy the benefits of management in the old company. A helluva lot more pressure and stress than the old company though. I actually feel sorry for most of them.