2014 Health Plan Changes Commentary

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have my employee handout right in front of me...let's see.

1. "FedEx has always been committed to the health and well-being of it's people".

A complete lie, unless you're talking about management and pilots.

2. "FedEx is self insured".

True, and by choice because it is cheaper for them. Please, Fred, use a traditional insurance company.

3. "Cadillac Tax".

Another whopper. Our plan is a "Yugo" Plan, down from a "Chevette" Plan. If FedEx gets taxed for this, it's not a result of what the hourlies are getting.

4. "Helping employees make healthy choices and become more engaged health care consumers".

Translation: You will be paying more for less coverage.

5. HRA-"A Valuable new feature".

Yes, to FedEx, because it is a pittance given to employees to make it seem like they are "getting something". You ARE getting something...the shaft.

6. In-Network PCP Visits/No Deductible.

A very small "bone" you have been thrown to show "FedEx Cares".

7. Consumer Choice and Consumer Premier Deductibles.

This is where you really see how much FedEx "cares". Bend over. Can you say "co-insurance"?

This is really a poor quality plan, with very high costs to the employee. If you, or someone in your family has a chronic and/or serious medical condition, Fred has just flipped you the bird with both fingers.

Perhaps Mr. Smith should show all of us the Medical Plans of the Upper Management Team and our Pilots so we can compare what we are getting to what they are getting. This will never happen, and it doesn't take a genius to know why.

UPS drivers pay ZERO for their medical, which is far superior to the crap plan we get that costs huge money. Bottom line? Another way for Fred to pad profits by screwing us...again.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Perhaps Mr. Smith should show all of us the Medical Plans of the Upper Management Team and our Pilots so we can compare what we are getting to what they are getting. This will never happen, and it doesn't take a genius to know why.

Perhaps we should get a group of employees to attend the next stockholders meeting and ask Smith about this while an audience is present.

MAKAVELI

I have my employee handout right in front of me...let's see.

1. "FedEx has always been committed to the health and well-being of it's people".

A complete lie, unless you're talking about management and pilots.

2. "FedEx is self insured".

True, and by choice because it is cheaper for them. Please, Fred, use a traditional insurance company.

3. "Cadillac Tax".

Another whopper. Our plan is a "Yugo" Plan, down from a "Chevette" Plan. If FedEx gets taxed for this, it's not a result of what the hourlies are getting.

4. "Helping employees make healthy choices and become more engaged health care consumers".

Translation: You will be paying more for less coverage.

5. HRA-"A Valuable new feature".

Yes, to FedEx, because it is a pittance given to employees to make it seem like they are "getting something". You ARE getting something...the shaft.

6. In-Network PCP Visits/No Deductible.

A very small "bone" you have been thrown to show "FedEx Cares".

7. Consumer Choice and Consumer Premier Deductibles.

This is where you really see how much FedEx "cares". Bend over.

This is really a poor quality plan, with very high costs to the employee. If you, or someone in your family has a chronic and/or serious medical condition, Fred has just flipped you the bird with both fingers.

UPS drivers pay ZERO for their medical, which is far superior to the crap plan we get that costs huge money. Bottom line? Another way for Fred to pad profits by screwing us...again.
And anyone who says this is a great plan and we are just bitching needs their head examined.

TUT

3. "Cadillac Tax".

Yeah I've heard a bit about this one and wanted to read up some, a simple article on it...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/business/cadillac-tax-health-insurance.html?pagewanted=all

“The reality is it is going to hit more and more people over time, at least as currently written in law, ”

Here is the problem then, if it were to change/fix for the better of employer and employee, the employer would have already made the change to the "new way" the "cheaper way" and they won't go back.

This is a lot like the Enron law that was to protect americans, but it affected several levels of accounting that Americans lost beni's over the changes. So Enron hurt the original people and then the rest of us in America, as the rule was twisted or what have you to the point beni's were reduced. Golf clap.

Or this comment: "“the consumer should continue to expect that their plan is going to be more expensive, and they will have less benefits. ”"

Now this tax doesn't start until 2018 and could very well be changed prior to going live. I see your company got in early!!! Ouch.

MAKAVELI

3. "Cadillac Tax".

Yeah I've heard a bit about this one and wanted to read up some, a simple article on it...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/business/cadillac-tax-health-insurance.html?pagewanted=all

“The reality is it is going to hit more and more people over time, at least as currently written in law, ”

Here is the problem then, if it were to change/fix for the better of employer and employee, the employer would have already made the change to the "new way" the "cheaper way" and they won't go back.

This is a lot like the Enron law that was to protect americans, but it affected several levels of accounting that Americans lost beni's over the changes. So Enron hurt the original people and then the rest of us in America, as the rule was twisted or what have you to the point beni's were reduced. Golf clap.

Or this comment: "“the consumer should continue to expect that their plan is going to be more expensive, and they will have less benefits. ”"

Now this tax doesn't start until 2018 and could very well be changed prior to going live. I see your company got in early!!! Ouch.
Based on what was listed on our w2 our plan didn't even come close to that threshold.

FedExMom

Perhaps we should get a group of employees to attend the next stockholders meeting and ask Smith about this while an audience is present.

Not a bad idea.
I am not a FedEx employee. I am, however, the HR manager at my place of employment and the mother of a FedEx Ground employee. Since I am the person who makes health insurance decisions for my company, my son asked me to look over his "options." All I can say is "WOW!" I have never sem a major company offer such garbage.

For the record, they seem to be taking advantage of the fact that most employees have no idea what the health care act requires. Under no circumstances could any of the plans offered to average employees reach the level of a "Cadillac plan." In fact, taking the best available plan in any of the past 3 years (and including the 2014 options) would offer what most companies would consider minimum coverage. I am appalled at the coverage offered to my son.

Both my husband and I work for very small companies. They have nowhere near the buying power of FedEx. Both offer substantially better plans.

We are covered on my husband’s plan. It is a family plan covering both of us and our 2 remaining children. Computing premiums, an average of 2 doctor visits per year and 2 generic medications per year, we pay approximately 80% of what he will pay for a single person. That means we pay premiums, 8 office visit copays and 8 pharmacy copays for less than what he pays for premiums, 2 visits and 2 medications.

Not a bad idea.
I am not a FedEx employee. I am, however, the HR manager at my place of employment and the mother of a FedEx Ground employee. Since I am the person who makes health insurance decisions for my company, my son asked me to look over his "options." All I can say is "WOW!" I have never sem a major company offer such garbage.

For the record, they seem to be taking advantage of the fact that most employees have no idea what the health care act requires. Under no circumstances could any of the plans offered to average employees reach the level of a "Cadillac plan." In fact, taking the best available plan in any of the past 3 years (and including the 2014 options) would offer what most companies would consider minimum coverage. I am appalled at the coverage offered to my son.

Both my husband and I work for very small companies. They have nowhere near the buying power of FedEx. Both offer substantially better plans.

We are covered on my husband’s plan. It is a family plan covering both of us and our 2 remaining children. Computing premiums, an average of 2 doctor visits per year and 2 generic medications per year, we pay approximately 80% of what he will pay for a single person. That means we pay premiums, 8 office visit copays and 8 pharmacy copays for less than what he pays for premiums, 2 visits and 2 medications.

A sons worst nightmare...His mom talking on his behalf on BC!....Just please dont befriended him on Facebook !

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not a bad idea.

Hmmmm.....so glad I never called back schedule my fedex interview.....I will stick with working for the devil I know lol

vantexan

Not a bad idea.

Not defending FedEx, but just noting under the ACA companies with 50 or more employees MUST BY LAW meet minimum standards so therefore the FedEx plan meets the ACA smell test. AS a matter of fact it's 70% coverage is better than the government exchanges' Bronze plan's 60%. And cheaper. That doesn't make it a good plan however. Want a better plan? Lobby the government for higher employer standards.

bbsam

Staff member
So,
To be clear, your son is an actual employee of Ground. He is not a driver then.
I wonder how similar the Ground and Express health plans are?

I believe they are the exact same from what the local staff have said.