2018 UPS 9.5 hour per day per route standard

9.5 work day as a National Standard for every Full Time employee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

some1else

Banned
Easy just like over 8hours is 1.5x. Anything over 9.5 is 3x. Automatically just like ot its on your check that week. If you really need me out delivering at 830 you can pay me. Perhaps they will figure 3x is cheaper than hiring new drivers (they do t care about1.5). But i bet there would be alot less complaining about 55 hour weeks when those last 7.5hours get you over 700$

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The company's plan is 9.1 hour dispatch per driver. Sadly the computer thinks an 11 hour day is 9.1. Even if the computer got it right, you still have the CMs cutting too many routes to make their MIP so they end up dispatching more than the 9.1 anyway.

Johney

The company's plan is 9.1 hour dispatch per driver. Sadly the computer thinks an 11 hour day is 9.1. Even if the computer got it right, you still have the CMs cutting too many routes to make their MIP so they end up dispatching more than the 9.1 anyway.
center manager's cutting routes because they didn't make stops per car that was dictated by some bean counter in a cubicle somewhere no one knows. They cut a bunch of cars in our center yesterday due to being 8 stops short per car. I don't blame my management team for that, how can you when they are being told what needs to happen. Can we go back to the days when center manager's actually ran their centers?

CharleyHustle

Can we go back to the days when center manager's actually ran their centers?

Well, no. The reason centers are run from Atlanta is center managers over the last few decades have done a horrible job at running the business. They play favorites, fudge numbers, rig dispatches, and generally do anything to make themselves look good regardless of the impact on the company's bottom line. If you ask me, the main reason for ORION is for years now managers have been adding miles to routes to make them plan better.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well, no. The reason centers are run from Atlanta is center managers over the last few decades have done a horrible job at running the business. They play favorites, fudge numbers, rig dispatches, and generally do anything to make themselves look good regardless of the impact on the company's bottom line. If you ask me, the main reason for ORION is for years now managers have been adding miles to routes to make them plan better.
It's because those management before were held accountable to do better than the previous year. Eventually you reach a point of "terminal velocity", in which an object reaches the maximum speed. Management was never allowed to correct the problem, only to address the symptom. All of these short sighted goals have produced a culture of "whatever it takes" to get to the next day. All of this additional volume is starting to show what we as drivers and management in operations saw coming for years.

HULKAMANIA

NO heres the REAL problem. There wasnt enough people who voted NO on this 9.5 language we have now! That was one of the number 1 issues going into this contract. In my opinion we are worse off than we was before on the last contract. This weekly 9.5 is crap, and once you do hit it you get called into the office and harassed to pull your grievance. The less seniors not having 9.5 protection was another ploy just to cover management in the event someone will go over 9.5 and file that they can swap drivers around and basically screw the low guy...

Why didnt people read this before they voted yes on this??? We have it now more than ever where the company is doing whatever they want, when they want and the ibt and its members are doing NOTHING about it! Take the day after Thanksgiving for example...Where was the ibt and its members then? Not a peep?!?!?! Seriously?!?! Why do we keep paying these union dues if we arent going to be represented in the way that we want?

The 9.5 language was a concession on OUR part bottom line. Now how are we going to get back what we once had? 3-5 day period was 10X better than this weekly crap....OH I forgot to mention the "Not getting loaded up the last of the week" Thats another load of crap! Thursday and Fridays have been our heaviest days! It gets OLD being 9.5 on Thurs-Fri and then again on Monday and you cant do anything about it!!! The more I type about that the more mad I get. Total stupidity on our part!

Packmule

We should have ( negotiated ) language that places us ALL in the 9.5 catagory from the start of the year. Then, on a separate list, there should be a sign up list for those that want extra overtime.

The US postal service does this and it works out just fine.

This way, there would be NO grievances for excessive overtime. The company would have to plan for all routes to be 9.5 unless exempted by the driver himself who would sign up for overtime without restrictions.

Those that want it, can have it. Those that want to go home to their families and take care of their bodies over a 25 year career can do so. There would never be any arguments.

Right now, UPS is working everyone up to 13 hours. I worked on monday until 10pm in package this week. They didnt care. My first day back in package after being in feeder all year.

We go back to feeder next week and believe me, 12 hours in feeder is NOTHING like 8 hours in package.

TOS.
I agree the current plan of trying to get three 9:5 plus days in a week only forces the unnessary confrontation of a grievance and ends up a mgt shell game that keeps no one happy or safe.
In this case the union dropped the ball on this last contract.

rpoz11

Excessive hours and over working employees should be bargained for at National committees.
What petitions do we need signed for and submitted to our Locals to have this officially brought to the attention of our Joint councils and IBT Leadership?
Bargaining members in areas of this country are being over worked and like PackMule said above, the shell games need to be addressed.

177 sounded off during our last contract negotiation process.
What other Locals and/or areas does the IBT need to hear from to recognize that this problem exists?

Once again, no more than 9.5 per route, per day has to be established.

Notretiredyet

The 9.5 opt in works fine here, having the triple time penalty paid on the first grievanance seems to help. We get an occasional slip up but so far a reminder gets the dispatch fixed or help sent if needed. We've fought this issue for years and it's gotten better for everyone that has opted in.

rpoz11

The biggest detriment to the 9.5 issue is one mans 11 hour day is another mans 8.

Some folks here don't want excessive work hours.
Some do.
So I agree with you statement above.

However, it is an out of control abuse used by management upon routes where they attempt to establish their P/L lines at our available hourly expense.

What means do we need... to take control of our lives and lively-hoods(sp) where this is NOT accountable as abuse.

So far I have read some replies staying their 8 hour day is just fine and could not imagine a 9.5 work day.

Fellow co-workers here, maybe about 50-70%, would like to have more say, more control of their daily worked hours.

Will the www.IBT.org address this and win better language providing more powers upon our employees in order to have a choice of being overworked???

Stewards and BA's here are restricted from enforcing some of these issues because we dont have a labor contract language that is effective within this area I speak of.

Speak of a strong contract hall.
Stand for a labor agreement Hoffa that more effectively counters the demands and technology that is forthcoming.

Is this really that difficult to demand and execute this within our next labor contract talks?

We need language benefitting us all.

O

OLDMAN3

I think some of you guys need new Business Agents. I have been filing 9.5 grievances for over 25 years. Around here, THIS YEAR HAS BEEN BY FAR THE BEST FOR HOLDING DOWN EXCESSIVE OVERTIME. Are your Business Agents holding management's feet to the fire by demanding the $ penalty? Where they are, the excessive OT stops quick. It is not the language that is the problem. Enforcement of the monetary penalty for grievances has worked better than any prior method. Your BA works for you-You pay his salary.

rpoz11

I think some of you guys need new Business Agents. I have been filing 9.5 grievances for over 25 years. Around here, THIS YEAR HAS BEEN BY FAR THE BEST FOR HOLDING DOWN EXCESSIVE OVERTIME. Are your Business Agents holding management's feet to the fire by demanding the $ penalty? Where they are, the excessive OT stops quick. It is not the language that is the problem. Enforcement of the monetary penalty for grievances has worked better than any prior method. Your BA works for you-You pay his salary.

Yup.
If only our weak Local could get our situation under control.
Our local is mostly a management sellout.
Having national language on this would help benefit the employees argument!!!
Thus our Stewards and BA's would have something we can force them to fight for!

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
The biggest detriment to the 9.5 issue is one mans 11 hour day is another mans 8.
And the fact that determining the 9.5 or 11 hour day will never be accurate since time studies are never done on the car only by sattellite. Theres always someone upstairs tweeking or in all honesty tampering with the time to make you have more to plan up. I know i lost an hour several years ago and the excuse was certain areas have different time allowances but on the same route.

Inthegame

And the fact that determining the 9.5 or 11 hour day will never be accurate since time studies are never done on the car only by sattellite. Theres always someone upstairs tweeking or in all honesty tampering with the time to make you have more to plan up. I know i lost an hour several years ago and the excuse was certain areas have different time allowances but on the same route.
9.5 is actual hours worked, not make believe UPS numbers.