2018 UPS 9.5 hour per day per route standard

9.5 work day as a National Standard for every Full Time employee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Easy just like over 8hours is 1.5x. Anything over 9.5 is 3x. Automatically just like ot its on your check that week. If you really need me out delivering at 830 you can pay me. Perhaps they will figure 3x is cheaper than hiring new drivers (they do t care about1.5). But i bet there would be alot less complaining about 55 hour weeks when those last 7.5hours get you over 700$
center manager's cutting routes because they didn't make stops per car that was dictated by some bean counter in a cubicle somewhere no one knows. They cut a bunch of cars in our center yesterday due to being 8 stops short per car. I don't blame my management team for that, how can you when they are being told what needs to happen. Can we go back to the days when center manager's actually ran their centers?
Corporate is running the show. CMs are their for an a-- chewing. My CMs pants are quite baggy in the back.

rpoz11

And the fact that determining the 9.5 or 11 hour day will never be accurate since time studies are never done on the car only by sattellite. Theres always someone upstairs tweeking or in all honesty tampering with the time to make you have more to plan up. I know i lost an hour several years ago and the excuse was certain areas have different time allowances but on the same route.

Well, it's my thinking that Orion is their attempt to make accurate time of routes dispatched.
Not to forget, as well said as you put it,
They may install Orion, but like everything that they do,
Their "tweeking" and tampering ( I'll call it : 'Manipulating' ) workloads directly affects what the Orion ride is trying to establish for them.
What's to stop them from turning up the expected results after demonstrating Orion???
The Orion guy is already pissed off that the Pre-Load Pal guy has already manipulated the expected 'route Orion work'.

9.5 hours MAX, per route-per day.

Hoffa & Hall need to implement this wording into our next contract in the Master Agreement across all states.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Your right , the o. r. can say you scratched or it can say you were an hour over. thats why our safety valve 1 hour lunch is in place.

Agree. Your lunch break and break in the 3rd to 5th hour is your best dispatch tool. Most don't use it in their own favor. It takes an hour off the end of your day. Work smarter, not harder

Indecisi0n

Company has so much money they don't care about paying 9.5's. While I dont mind raking in boatloads of extra money some days I just want to go home. I feel more needs to be done in this area. Lately this is the one aspect of the job that has me hating work. Working until 8-9 every night gets old fast.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Well, it's my thinking that Orion is their attempt to make accurate time of routes dispatched.
Not to forget, as well said as you put it,
They may install Orion, but like everything that they do,
Their "tweeking" and tampering ( I'll call it : 'Manipulating' ) workloads directly affects what the Orion ride is trying to establish for them.
What's to stop them from turning up the expected results after demonstrating Orion???
The Orion guy is already pissed off that the Pre-Load Pal guy has already manipulated the expected 'route Orion work'.

9.5 hours MAX, per route-per day.

Hoffa & Hall need to implement this wording into our next contract in the Master Agreement across all states.
Ever think that perhaps they put that Orion system in to basically take some of the bonus structure money away from the supes? You know these idiots will spend a dollar to save a nickel. They know the Orion doesn't work so that might be there thinking. Lets put some bogus system in so that we don't have to pay out all this extra money to the supes. We'll keep it on the low and the center manager's and supes wont know our real reasoning. I don't put anything past these shady people for sure. Theres always a lie behind anything these people do.

rpoz11

The money corporate has spent on Orion makes me think it has to prove something.

The technology side of this is forthcoming and our IBT leadership better be well positioned to defend us with strong and absolute language.
(And actually defend us in person)

I do agree with you that the software may enable the upper corporate side to better micro manage their lower management groups.

Fudging weekly and monthly reports has to now be yesterday's excuse.

The Orion guys have moved on.
Your friendly Preload Supervisor assigned to adjusting routes has already begun to SPIN routes away from Orion implementation.

Good Luck to upper management controlling this aspect of what they expect.

9.5 MAX per day, per route.
Extra work should be available on a seniority basis.

Mack Grant

This poll should be understood as NO MORE THAN 9.5 hours worked maximum per day

May I clarify that we all shall not work more an 9.5 hours per day maximum, to be written into language as a permanent right from 2018 forward.

Lets make this known
This is an impossibility so "no".

Mack Grant

We should have ( negotiated ) language that places us ALL in the 9.5 catagory from the start of the year. Then, on a separate list, there should be a sign up list for those that want extra overtime.

The US postal service does this and it works out just fine.

This way, there would be NO grievances for excessive overtime. The company would have to plan for all routes to be 9.5 unless exempted by the driver himself who would sign up for overtime without restrictions.

Those that want it, can have it. Those that want to go home to their families and take care of their bodies over a 25 year career can do so. There would never be any arguments.

Right now, UPS is working everyone up to 13 hours. I worked on monday until 10pm in package this week. They didnt care. My first day back in package after being in feeder all year.

We go back to feeder next week and believe me, 12 hours in feeder is NOTHING like 8 hours in package.

TOS.
You said the U.S. postal service does this and that's where I stopped reading.

rpoz11

You said the U.S. postal service does this and that's where I stopped reading.

Do FT'ers in your area exceed 40 per week?

Where I am at, I've been doing 50+ for 10 years straight now.
Kinda sick of it to be honest with you.
Checks were good but it all came at a price.
Now I prefer to be off by 10 or so hours worked.

Establishing 9.5 MAX per route per day would gain leverage for the employee.
Then sign up or opt out of 9.5 for more hours.

Mack Grant

Do FT'ers in your area exceed 40 per week?

Where I am at, I've been doing 50+ for 10 years straight now.
Kinda sick of it to be honest with you.
Checks were good but it all came at a price.
Now I prefer to be off by 10 or so hours worked.

Establishing 9.5 MAX per route per day would gain leverage for the employee.
Then sign up or opt out of 9.5 for more hours.
I'm sure most drivers work around 50 a week, that's what I do. Reason I said that is because it's one of those things that looks good on paper but in implementation wouldn't work. If some drivers were then brave enough to opt out of a cemented 9.5 week they would be crushed with stops.

We're still under the non-contractual "be in by 8pm" rule here and I've punched out past 8 twice this week already.

Only way it could actually work is if the Union begins to recognize production, and NO WAY would I or any other driver (I don't think) would sign off on that.

rpoz11

I'm sure most drivers work around 50 a week, that's what I do. Reason I said that is because it's one of those things that looks good on paper but in implementation wouldn't work. If some drivers were then brave enough to opt out of a cemented 9.5 week they would be crushed with stops.

Well... maybe, just MAYBE the IBT is listening here???
Keep offering up your suggestions and tweaks regarding this.
The more we submit here the stronger the argument we have.