21:00 last delivery. What am I doing wrong?

outta hours

Can't be too rural of a route with only 145 miles. With a 2 hr commute? Is it a 20 mph. school zone all the way to your area? The guys next to me and myself drive between 200-275 miles a day with 65-95 stops. I throw the BS flag on 55 stops with only 145 miles unless you pick up 300+. We only work till 2100 or later during peak. The rest of the year it's usually between 5:30-7:00.

Overpaid Union Thug

Can't be too rural of a route with only 145 miles. With a 2 hr commute? Is it a 20 mph. school zone all the way to your area? The guys next to me and myself drive between 200-275 miles a day with 65-95 stops. I throw the BS flag on 55 stops with only 145 miles unless you pick up 300+. We only work till 2100 or later during peak. The rest of the year it's usually between 5:30-7:00.

We have plenty of rural routes and some of them are less than 145 miles. Many are more than 200 and one gets nearly 300. I sometimes run a rural route that only gets 90-100 miles. It starts just outside of town and goes out quite a ways and then works back towards town and ends in a dense residential area. A route doesn't necessarily have to rack up alot of miles in order to be considered a rural route.

New Englander

55 stops w/26 pickups and a 2 hour RT? 70 stops is a busy day?!

Where do I sign up?

Some weeks it's good to be a cover driver!

Though in all honesty it's an hour drive to an area that is a Noon commit. When it gets on area it goes straight to the remote center, drops off the over flow still coming when the feeder pulled.

Then has to worry about it's own air.

Still....not complaining it's a walk in the park! :)

This town has a commercial route out of our center that averages 55 to 65 with 20 pick ups. :) 300+ packages.

Got to love the fact that these routes meet the remote drivers and bring in their outbound, air and all! Got to leave time for that.

New Englander

You see Upstate knows all. I'm 35.

You guys wouldn't be bumping me, you'd be bumping the bid driver. I'm cover.

71 del today off of 175 packages :) I couldn't get all my lunch in prior to pick ups either :)

You see Upstate knows all. I'm 35.

You guys wouldn't be bumping me, you'd be bumping the bid driver. I'm cover.

71 del today off of 175 packages :) I couldn't get all my lunch in prior to pick ups either :)
You do have reading difficulties, sorry, maybe just in comprehension. I said everyday the route was open, meaning the days that YOU would be running the route I would bump YOU.

New Englander

Perhaps it's YOUR reading comprehension. The contract does not allow drivers to pick and choose their work other then bidding. Go look it up.

Unless you had a less then 8 dispatch, you wouldn't be bumping and even then I'm not the least senior in the building, sorry bub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NE, Trpl is from Texas, so it is pardner, not bub.

I think I can speak for Trpl when I say that we can only hope to someday be half the driver that you think you are.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
NE, if you have less than 20 years driving seniority, I'll bump your butt everyday the route is open.

Hey trplnkl;

Maybe if he were in Texas, but up here as a cover driver you have no right to choose your load, run (same thing I guess) or equipment.

As a 20 year guy you should have some clue that different areas have different language in the contract. No need to be so smug with brothers dude.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here we pick routes based on seniority. That is how it should be. Each day the routes that are open due to bid drivers being on vacation, scheduled off, sick, etc., are filled by full-time cover drivers and it's all based on seniority. If TCDs are being used they usually end up on the "training routes" but occasionally they'll get lucky and end up on a decent bid route. I chose a training route today simply because I could walk through the center aisle without climbing over any packages and a TCD ended up running the bid route I passed on. It's better this way because drivers can get more area knowledge if they aren't stuck on the same routes all of the time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is language for relief from overtime if you wish in your contract. Open it up when you have a chance.

24 replies to this post so far and this is the only mention of the excessive overtime previsions in the contract. Why is that? I'm tired of listening to people belly ache, pay their union dues, belly ache about that too, and enpower the union to do... nothing on their behalf. All the while crying that the union does nothing for me.

New Englander

NE, Trpl is from Texas, so it is pardner, not bub.

I think I can speak for Trpl when I say that we can only hope to someday be half the driver that you think you are.

Yeah....I've made numerous comments about how great of a driver I am. Care to put some quotes in?

It's all pretty simple stuff. The area I am covering is the area that host's the remote center. I bid the remote area cover, that includes the two routes from our center that head over there.

So I won't be getting bumped off of my cover area until the next rebid. Obviously if two of the routes are open over there I do not get to pick and choose. I go where I am assigned.

I can ask, and If I'm in the building prior to the other cover coming in and we both know the routes - then maybe.

You guys can cry all you want about picking and choosing as cover drivers but it's not written that way in the contract. So don't cry to me or UPS.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You guys can cry all you want about picking and choosing as cover drivers but it's not written that way in the contract. So don't cry to me or UPS.
It is written in our supplement that way. All rtes are awarded based on seniority. If a rte is open due to a vacation and I bid on that rte and I have enough seniority then that is my rte for the week. Our bids are put up thurs or fri and the bid closes fri nite. If I don't have a rte for the full week then I chose on a day to day basis what rte I want from what is available. That is the way of things here. If the company violates that then it is a grievable action.

New Englander

It is written in our supplement that way. All rtes are awarded based on seniority. If a rte is open due to a vacation and I bid on that rte and I have enough seniority then that is my rte for the week. Our bids are put up thurs or fri and the bid closes fri nite. If I don't have a rte for the full week then I chose on a day to day basis what rte I want from what is available. That is the way of things here. If the company violates that then it is a grievable action.

Thats cool, it's not how it is in ours.

Though how do they deal with area knowledge concerns?