21:00 last delivery. What am I doing wrong?

helenofcalifornia

What a headache to post a bid sheet every week for next week's vacation routes. That said, it sure would prevent a lot of the favoritism that foes on in my center.

browniehound

I used to enjoy most aspects of cover driving. Knowing that you are only stuck on this crap route for one week has its advantages. As long as I knew the routes, I enjoyed bouncing around.

The problem with cover is, management can do what they want with you. By this I mean sending you blind, or on a baseline with 3 towns and 170 stops, or you can be pawned off to a different center all together with absolutely NO clue. I know a ton of routes so the above didn't happen too often, but it happened enough to force me to bid a crappy route.

From time to time I'm asked to come off my route. The keyword is asked and I really don't mind doing it. For one, the route is always better than my route. Secondly, it breaks up the daily grind that the same route puts you in day after day.

I know it helps the management team out when they are in a pinch. A minority of drivers resent when I do this. Their logic is "why would you help them? What have they done for you?" The ones that say this to me are the ones that are always in the office and the ones that never get help.

I don't say this to them, but in my mind I'm thinking, I DO get help (to me this is something management does for me) when I'm over-dispatched. When I need a day off on short notice, I usually get it (again, something management does for me) without having to call in sick. Lastly, I don't remember the last time I've spoken to about my job.

So when these minority of drivers don't respect me for being a team player, they have a new place in my mind. I'll never help them. To me, they make their bed, and their bed is miserable because they are. If we were all team players our jobs at UPS would be better. Instead, we have a few jerks that turn their difficult job into a very difficult job.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What a headache to post a bid sheet every week for next week's vacation routes. That said, it sure would prevent a lot of the favoritism that foes on in my center.
It's really not a headache for the drivers, other than remembering to bid Fri nite. You just get used to doing it and if it's the only way you have ever done it then you don't know any better. I would much rather be on one rte for the week than being a different place every day.:happy2:

tourists24

actually not a headache at all. Management takes the list of people on vacation for the week ahead and posts it at turn in desk. All cover drivers put their name on which run they would like to have. Senior cover guy wins bid for that week. One sheet goes up on Tuesday and comes down on Friday. works well here (until mgt decides not to honor the bid)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
works well here (until mgt decides not to honor the bid)
They did that to me this week. I bid on a rte, won my bid on monday, scheduled a chiropractor appt on rte for wed. Wed they forced me onto another rte, I had to cancel appt. and reschedule for today. To make my appt I had to call in sick.
It pisses me off to no end. I do my job with honesty and integrity. I let them know on mon nite that I sch. the app't. And all I get for my troubles is friend:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:. Mgt refused to change the dispatch. So now I get to file a greivance on bidding procedures. I did find out this morning that one of the higher ups flat out lied to my BA. The higher up told my BA that I was put back on my bid yesterday. I took great delight in telling my BA that he was lied to.