22.3 combo layoffs...anyone else?

hjsaldana

I'v been laid off from the second half of my 22.3 combo job for over a year but have been getting my 8 hrs from the 1st part of the combo job. Last week management has said that no one can go over 5 hours and they have laid off more combo jobs and part time air drivers. I am unable to double-shift to get the rest of my hours and talking to shop stewards at my hub wasn't much help. I don't even know if I can file a grievance and if I do I don't know what it would be about. I was told by local 542 that "technically" we are not garaunteed 8 hrs being laid off but my concern is, there is still enough work to do to get my hours. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to get my hours back? I could definitely use some info or advice, anything would help right now.

brett636

My understanding that as a laid off fulltimer you are guaranteed eight hours assuming you had seniority (30 days in your combo job) before you were laid off. I believe it says you are to bump the lowest seniority part-timer to get your eight hours until you are put back to work in your original job.

J

JonFrum

Check your Supplement. That's where Seniority and Layoff and Eight-Hour Guarantee language should be.

You probably are guaranteed eight hours, unless you are properly put on layoff status. If you are laid-off, it usually must be done in (full-time) seniority order.

hjsaldana

Thanks for the replies..a quick update, according my local union, because I combo and not "regular" full time I am not gauranteed my 8 if I am laid off. But it also looks like I may qualify for unemployment. I will update later when I find out about the unemployment part. I hope I can find some solutions and answers that may help some others out there.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Thanks for the replies..a quick update, according my local union, because I combo and not "regular" full time I am not gauranteed my 8 if I am laid off. But it also looks like I may qualify for unemployment. I will update later when I find out about the unemployment part. I hope I can find some solutions and answers that may help some others out there.

Whoaaaa

You are a part-time employee if you are working 2 split shifts (aka double shifting)

This is not a 22.3, full-time job.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Huge difference.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you are a ftime (22.3) employee and you get laid off you should be able to bump down in seniority and fill two part time positions until your layoff is over. If you go on unemployment you will need to be called back within two years or your out of a job while also not accruing pension time. Your posts are a little confusing.

barrycold

I am one of those 22.3 combo layoffs. It only has been a month for me. They are saying that when it gets busy they're going to call me back. I went back to part time.

barrycold

I'v been laid off from the second half of my 22.3 combo job for over a year but have been getting my 8 hrs from the 1st part of the combo job. Last week management has said that no one can go over 5 hours and they have laid off more combo jobs and part time air drivers. I am unable to double-shift to get the rest of my hours and talking to shop stewards at my hub wasn't much help. I don't even know if I can file a grievance and if I do I don't know what it would be about. I was told by local 542 that "technically" we are not garaunteed 8 hrs being laid off but my concern is, there is still enough work to do to get my hours. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to get my hours back? I could definitely use some info or advice, anything would help right now.

For over a year? They are suppose to offer you your job back. If not then it might be eliminated. If it is I think they have to replace you with a new 22.3 job. Before they post a new job they will have to offer you the job first. You could bump people that has lower seniority.

bears2

Something isnt adding up here to me. Its been some years ago,maybe 10 but we had 22.3 guys laid off and they had 3 options. they could come in and work 2 part time jobs to get their 8 hours in. They could select unemployment(which they lose insurance) or they could just work 1 part-time job (while still being full-time)an roll with it til they were called back which they all were. In no way is anyone fulltime allowed to go back to a part time worker. and no way is a non-regular fulltime worker a permant 22.3 fulltime worker. Things arent adding up

hjsaldana

I am not a part time double shifter, I have a full time 22.3 combo job. I have been laid off the first half of my combo job, I have to different jobs as a combo and have (until 2 weeks ago) been getting my hours with the second half of my combo job. I want to know there are any others out there that has had this problema and how it if at all it was resolved. Thanks

hjsaldana

The job is/was Unload and Customer Counter, I was laid off from the Counter and got all my hours from the Unload (which we just call the hub)

hjsaldana

Where are you, which hub? I have been getting my hours from the first part of my combo but the volume is down so they cut my hours. They haven't said anything about going back to the counter. I don't think they will because they laid off ALL the part-timers there, even the others who had the same combo I did.

barrycold

Call your union hall. You are suppose to call them after 30 days of your layoff and 30 days after. That is what I read in the old contract. Since you been laid off have you seen any 22.3 jobs on the bid board? If you have they are suppose to offer the jobs to the people layoff first. If they got rid of the part timers and full time combo for the customer counter then who there to help the customers? The volume is slow right now and they said it should pick up when they have the back to school sales then right after that it's almost going to be peak season. You have to do something about it. It's been a year already. I think what they did was let you get your 8 hours somewhere else and probably thought you might forget about it. By the sounds of it I think they eliminated your job without notify you. They should find you another 22.3 job. How long have you been a full timer?

It is happening here at the hub I work at. Article 22.3's are losing 4 hours on Monday and on Friday's. Our local put in a national grievance because the Article 22.3's who were laid off are not allowed to work but the part timers are, so the union is saying that the company violated the contract by not laying off its least senior members which would be the part timers. The union and company are saying that is only a temporary layoff. They say it is happening all over in different hubs nationwide across the US. Is this true? Are there any other Article 22's being laid off in different states? Please let me know. We are taking it one day at a time and a wait and see approach.

barrycold

it is happening everywhere. They are trying to eliminate the 22.3 jobs. They say it's temporary but it also means your job might be gone. What is your 22.3 job?

barrycold

I work all over where help is needed, load, unload, sort aisle. This is affecting inside hub workers. So it is happening to other hubs in other states then?

I got layoff in July and went back to part time. They said it was temporary until the volume picks up. My job was eliminated. They are claiming that they are losing volume and they need to cut back. I heard the 22.3 jobs never work out. There's a handful of people layoff and went back to part time. This is happening in my area.