22.3 combo people are being told not guaranteed 8 hrs of work

brett636

I have talked to a couple of 22.3 employees in Omaha I know and this is what I get from them.

On Friday the 14th management told 87 combo employees that they were being laid off. Upon layoff they would have the option of bumping back into there old jobs, bumping into other jobs that senority and qualification would allow or pick one half of their combo shift and be allowed to return to part-time status. Return to part-time would be permanent.

According to mangement by laying off the employees they would no longer be considered as 22.3 and therefore no longer gauranteed 8 hrs, rather 3.5 on each shift like a part-timer.

The companies rationale is that volume is down and that they need the ability to adjust start times or finish times on the twilight and mid-nite shifts to accomodate. This could mean coming in later for some employees on early shift or taking up to a two hour lunch prior to second shift. Of course that later start time and/or extended lunch is coming out of the 22.3's eight hours.

At a meeting held by their local this past Saturday, union management told rank and file that they agreed with the company to allow changing of start times and extended lunches rather than the layoffs. The union rationale was they would be risking the future loss of 22.3 jobs if employees went into a layoff status as well as the jobs of anyone who went back to part-time and there were a number of 22.3s who wanted to take the part-time option.

I assume the local made that decision under the advisment of the national headquarters. My friends don't know the details of the agreement but I would like to know if there is any kind of deadline or parameters that have to be met before the 22.3s get back their 8 hrs.

This basically means about a 11% pay decrease for a 22.3 who has hours reduced by the maximum. I guess if you have 22.3 jobs at your building be aware of this tactic.

Is this due to them eliminating a shift, or are the sorts getting done right at 3.5 hour mark and management is getting tired of having to find the combos work to get their eight hours? Are the jobs those combo workers were performing still in need of someone to do them or are they simply not being done? Or being filled in by part-timers? As a 22.3 combo worker myself I find this quite worrisome as it seems the drop in volume is being used as an excuse todo what the company has wanted to do all along, and that is eliminate as many combo jobs as they can. Lets be serious here, we combos are not well liked among the upper echelon of management. The company doesn't need us, and could save a lot of money by having part-timers perform our work not to mention we are testament to a moment in company history I think management would love to forget. Getting my eight hours everyday is not really a stretch for either shift that I work, but could I go into work one day and get told that I am being laid off as they send a part-time air driver out to cover my air route?

22.34life

I am a 22.3 in houston tx and have not seen or heard of anything like this in my building or other buildings in this area.I have only heard of this on this website.It is very troublesome to hear things like this and scary.i believe this is the begining of the end for 22.3 jobs,the company has never liked the jobs in the first place and when the union didnt fight for any new ones in the future i think the company saw a green light.I hope i dont see this here but the reality is i think i will,if ups gets away with it in one place they will do it everywhere.the really sad part is i dont know if the union will back 22.3 or not my gut tells me they wont and that really sucks.there is so many things that the contract supports but people lose grievances on them all the time.I see people getting warning letters for stuff they would never have got one for 5 yrs ago.IN the ten years i have worked at ups i have seen our rights go down the toilet and i dont give a damb what the contract says show me whats happening in the building in real situations where the hourly gets screwed even though the contract says he shouldnt.the contract is only as good as the people who enforce it.

Pickles

I was told by a Omaha feeder driver that they settled it and all the 22.3 jobs are there still they just agreed to a 1.5 break. Is this true? Anyone?

jim50321

I talked to one of my friends and he told me that no layoffs at this time. The agreement was break could be extended to 1.5 hrs and start times on first shift could also be adjusted on a weekly basis. I don't know if that would be in addition to the extra half hour at mid-break or a 15 reduction on each shift. Either way that extra time comes out of the 8 hrs that he is gauranteed. From what I gather management claims there is not enough work to keep people on the clock the full 8 hrs.

Hopefully volume will pick back up and this will all be temporary. If that happens I think accepting the longer break is better than the whole layoff and bumping scenario.

Pump Up The Volume

I'm a driver and a steward in the central plains district and have heard that our 22.3 combo people are not going to be gauranteed 8 hrs. of work. Apparantly managements stance is that they are working 2 different shifts, and like part-timers who are gauranteed at least 3.5 hrs of work on one shift, the combo people are only gauranteed 7 hrs. of work 3.5 hrs per shift. Does anyone see this happening in their centers. Our BA is not standing behind these people and needs to be seen to the door, but at a recent union meeting the President of the union backed the BA. This gesture just might result in many bargaining unit employees filling out withdraw cards. If you ask me our union is very soft and needs a complete overhaul if we want to stand up to UPS.

This is really in stark contrast to what's going on with 22.3's in our building. Believe it or not, they are getting overtime pouring out their ears. It's mostly the inside/outside or outside/outside combo's. We have 22.3's who are working between 11 to 14 hour days!!!!I don't think its coincidence that the guys getting the most OT were formerly in package and got into the 22.3's to minimize their OT.

tourists24

For whatever reason, the international does not seem to be too concerned about our 22.3 jobs lately. Dont know why, but this was a Ron Carey thing to begin with.

brett636

This is really in stark contrast to what's going on with 22.3's in our building. Believe it or not, they are getting overtime pouring out their ears. It's mostly the inside/outside or outside/outside combo's. We have 22.3's who are working between 11 to 14 hour days!!!!I don't think its coincidence that the guys getting the most OT were formerly in package and got into the 22.3's to minimize their OT.

Thats interesting. In my building they are giving all us 22.3s grief if we get a minute of OT. Once we hit our eight hour mark that is the end of our day.

GoBrown???

im a 22.3 combo employee and we dont have any issues at my building. each of the jobs are straight 8 jobs. i go in at 1:30 am and set up the building for preload, work the preload, and then go out to deliver eam's until 9:30. our night combos start at 5:30 pm and they go do late air pickups, and then return to help close out the local sort, after that they break down the building for us until we arrive at 1:30 to set up for the day again