24 foot deliver trucks

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by canesfan22, Feb 26, 2013.

1. canesfan22

canesfan22 New Member

anybody deliver out of one? have questions,just recently got put into one
  2. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Do you mean a large straight truck for bulk deliveries. Filled in one summer when driver was off on injury.
  3. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

We call them "mashers" here. Watch the tail swing. Other than that they drive pretty nice. Some of ours have rollers in the floor that you can raise or lower using the onboard air compressor. Very handy for pushing pallets around.
  4. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

My first route was an industrial park, they were great to back up to docks all day. We call them "vans" around here.
  5. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

We call them "furniture trucks," sometimes "moving trucks," here. Ours are old (dating from the 1980s) and have manuals. They're used exclusively for mall runs & other bulk stops so they accumulate miles at a slower pace.
  6. PT Car Washer

We had one of those for holding two air cans. Had two roll up doors on one side for loading. Diabled the compressor and just used it as a straght truck. Lots of rust and not fast but good heater. International has the best heaters.
  7. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Around here, they are cattle cars or Big Eddie or Big Earl.
  8. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

We call them 24 footers.
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Bulk van here. We have a guy or two who refuse to drive them. Management has to go with them if they are on that route. Pretty pathetic if u ask me. No clue how they get by with it.
  10. Scottyhawk

Scottyhawk What is it? A brown box. Duh

Call them vans or 24 footers here. One I drove was very nice, was an automatic and had cruise control. The other I drove took 5 minutes to start, 4 speed manual and smelled like smelly feet
  11. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Are those the 1200's?
  12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I think those are the Ryder panel vans painted brown. We just called them panel vans or 24 footers.
  13. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I don't think we have those. I think the largest we have are the 1400's. They look like a kinda like a Ryder, just as low to ground as the others.
  14. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

We call them Hogs, they're fun to drive, as people get out of your way pretty quick when that big beast shows in your rear view.

All while maintaining a proper space cushion :ninja3:
  15. pretender

pretender Active Member

BSWALKS Easily Amused

To make it even more interesting, drive one with a 2 speed rear end.
  17. cachsux

cachsux Wah

If you drive one and it has air brakes better make sure you have that endorsement on your licsence.
  18. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

I remember refusing to drive the old 1100 p/c once they passed the CDL laws back in early 90's because that p/c had air brakes !!!
  19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Not true been thru this before on here. As long as u don't need a CDL to drive it u don't need air brake certification.
  20. PT Car Washer

That is what the center manager says. I disagreeded on that, but drive it anyway. I wonder if it is a state or Fed. reg.