25 and out option confusion

nycfeeder

Hi, new to the Brown Cafe. So much confusion with 25 and out. It seems that nobody has the right answer if any. Got my estimate with 17 years full-time and 5 years part time in Local 804 NYC. (I'm actually in my 25th year but got jammed up for 26 months in arbitration thanks to my wonderful manager and supervisors in package but that's a different story.) What I'd like to know is if I can leave with a reduced pension with 25 years service credit (combined FT and PT) in 3 years or less. I'm currently 48yrs old. Really not a hard question, it just seems that they neither the local or the company has the answer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi, new to the Brown Cafe. So much confusion with 25 and out. It seems that nobody has the right answer if any. Got my estimate with 17 years full-time and 5 years part time in Local 804 NYC. (I'm actually in my 25th year but got jammed up for 26 months in arbitration thanks to my wonderful manager and supervisors in package but that's a different story.) What I'd like to know is if I can leave with a reduced pension with 25 years service credit (combined FT and PT) in 3 years or less. I'm currently 48yrs old. Really not a hard question, it just seems that they neither the local or the company has the answer.
Your BA doesn't know? I know a guy....

rod

Retired 22 years
25 and out has been an option for many years. I've known many who said they were going to do it but none did. The pay off is far less than working a full 30. (At least it used to be).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I PM'd you a name....he'd know...he's a retired feeder.

oldngray

nowhere special
25 and out has been an option for many years. I've known many who said they were going to do it but none did. The pay off is far less than working a full 30. (At least it used to be).

I knew driver who retired with 25 but his wife had money so he didn't need to work.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
25 and out usually comes with a minimal age requirement ( like 52 ), but that's for full time years only and you usually must work 30 years of FT to get that option. If you truly have 5 years PT, when you finally retire you will receive two pensions, one for your PT service and another for your FT service.

You can leave early for sure but you won't be able to collect your pension right away. Best for you to just stick it out until you're 55. You're actually in the same boat that I was in. I had 5 years PT and 25 years FT by the time I was 55. I waited until my seniority date (3+ months later) and cashed in all my vacations, holiday, personal and sick days and hung up my browns. Best thing I've ever done for myself.

Last edited:

joesmith

pension plan 001 (465x640).jpg
Maybe this chart will help you out, it appears that the pension is drastically reduced for anything less than 25 years of credit.

pension plan 001 (465x640).jpg