25 and Out...

upszo

As of right now my plans are to retire after my 25 years, which will be in about 2 1/2 years. Has anyone heard any information about the new contract that might suggest they will give a little more for 25 and out like the 30 and out?From what I am reading, 30 years will go up to $3400/month by 2017. How about 25 years? Right now it is $2000/month. I'm really hoping that increases some also.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone actually retiring under the 25 and out plan. I know dozens of drivers who said they were but they all stayed for at least 30. Good luck in your retirement goal and keep us informed if you do go at 25.

beentheredonethat

I'd love if I could go at 25 (since I have 25 years in). I just don't see how, even if I was old enough (and in a plan) that paid 2K per month. When I retire, I want to be able to travel, I want to not worry about money at all. I also don't want to have to work when I retire.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Pension plans are already in trouble. They can't afford to pay people any more to be retired for more years then they worked. We still have 25 and out where I am. I think it's 2100 a month.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Local 177 has a clause in the contract that enables people to retire at 52 years of age and 30 years of full time service with full retirement benefits. It's all about your local. My old local has 25 and out and maximum retirement of $3700, but nothing more for more time served.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'd love if I could go at 25 (since I have 25 years in). I just don't see how, even if I was old enough (and in a plan) that paid 2K per month. When I retire, I want to be able to travel, I want to not worry about money at all. I also don't want to have to work when I retire.

I hate to burst your bubble but unless you win a multimillion dollar lottery a person will always worry about money. The secret is as it has always been ----live within your means. Even though I was always paid an excellant wage at UPS I never felt that I was "wealthy". I lived comfortably but no where near extravegantly. I could have lived better. With my credit rating I'm sure I could have financed pretty much anything I wanted-.i.e. bigger house- fancier car. I always tell anyone who asked how I was able to retire at 53 that "I wasn't a rich man when I was working so I didn't expect to be one when I retired. If you retire debt free with a decent nest egg you will have no problem maintaining your lifestyle. I only know of one retired UPS driver who dosen't have to worry about money--------------Thats because he married a rich widow after he retired.

kumet

Effective January 1, 2014, the following enhancements will be implemented:
35 years, any age - $3,700
30 or more years, any age - $3,200 plus $100/yr of service for years over 30 up to $3,700
Effective January 1, 2017, the following enhancements will be implemented:
35 years, any age - $3,900
30 or more years, any age - $3,400 plus $100/yr of service for years over 30 up to $3,900
As of right now my plans are to retire after my 25 years, which will be in about 2 1/2 years. Has anyone heard any information about the new contract that might suggest they will give a little more for 25 and out like the 30 and out?From what I am reading, 30 years will go up to $3400/month by 2017. How about 25 years? Right now it is $2000/month. I'm really hoping that increases some also.

Upsmule

Effective January 1, 2014, the following enhancements will be implemented:
35 years, any age - $3,700
30 or more years, any age - $3,200 plus $100/yr of service for years over 30 up to $3,700
Effective January 1, 2017, the following enhancements will be implemented:
35 years, any age - $3,900
30 or more years, any age - $3,400 plus $100/yr of service for years over 30 up to $3,900

Seems weak to me...I guess it's better than nothing, hardly a sustainable income to go play golf on. Especially where I live in the shadow of the national capital beltway.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seems weak to me...I guess it's better than nothing, hardly a sustainable income to go play golf on. Especially where I live in the shadow of the national capital beltway.

It is not meant to be.
Retirement funding is based on a three legged stool:
1) UPS funded pension
2) Employee savings (401k and personal)
3) Social Security

Upsmule

4 more peaks and I'll be looking at 30. I'll be 54 years old. Does 55 matter if I go for 31? Or as mentioned above only get me another 100 a month?

A

anonymous6

I can go out at 22 years service under peer80 but not sure if that includes 100% benefit and retiree healthcare bennies.

Upsmule

Even the $3900 mentioned already, is that gross or net? With health benefits or not? If with, make that $3,000. yay :/