25 Year Milestone?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Congrats on 25 years. I had the same thing happen to me at 20...but I didnt take it personally. My sup is a nice guy but hes managing 60 people and working 70 hrs a week. I didnt expect him to be aware of it, and to his credit when he saw the plaque I got a few weeks later he did say something nice to me. I suspect it is a communication issue rather than a personal one.
I agree, but it should not be that way. Recognition used to be important. Some Psycholgists( another myth they try to teach in colleges) say it is more important than money. I say bs to that but it is important.

BigBrownSanta

In my building, they usually hand out the 25 year plaques during the United Way kickoff presentation. I guess that way everyone in the building gets to see it. At least they do some things right here.

Almost forgot, Congratulations! Anyone who can endure 25 years at UPS should be commended.

Last edited:

Bad Gas!

We have a driver who will get his 30 years driving in this June...He's never had an injury on job of any kind...He's never been reconized for this achievement up til now.I will be interested to see if anybody cares.....I personally think injury years should be reconized to some extent....Also..lastly,our mgt tean runs around every day like a chicken with thier head cut off..until PCM..Thier is only a one way line of communication in our center,..our building..If we work as a team we get success..but team is two way commication..Does this make sense?

rod

Retired 22 years
Way to go on getting your 25.. Now repeat after me-- I will not do more that 30--- I will not do more than 30--- I will not do more than 30:wink2:

john346

No more Brown!
Hey Bro! Congrats on the 25. I'ts kinda sad that they suits don't realize that when a job is well done, it costs nothing to say so, yet the dividends are tremendous. Just one querry though, at 25 in, how much more do you need to get there? I'm at 24, and on a hopefully bright sunny April day in 2012 will be the day I no longer have to dress up for work. Man are there days lately though when I don't think I can swallow another bite. Cheers!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
ok yeah 25 yrs thats great can you cover these p/ups today and your lite, so i threw on a split !!!call me if your going ovah!!! oh yeah , we got no help!!!! congrats to yah!! God knows you deserve it!!!!

david cassin

dublinbrown
congrats on the 25 year service,i am coming up my 20th next month,but again i as before always have to send my mgr or hr supervisor a hint to remind them,i was looking up the ups intranet site for the service awards and i must say its not great but we shall endevour to pick some small item
cheers:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Common occurance here for service and safety awards. One of the reasons I quit taking them. I have thrown away my safety awards in the trash for the last 15 years. Threw my 20 year service award in the trash can in front of the center manager as soon as he handed it to me. Told the center safety director to quit ordering them so they haven't even attempted to give one to me the last two years.

harley your choice what you do with it. But don't you think its like throwing your paycheck in the garbage? You earned the award you should cash it in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, I don't wait for the center team to hand me my safe driving/years of service award(s). I have found that, if you are within a few weeks of receiving an award, you can go online to upsers.com, go to life and career, go to recognition, go to the service awards web site, enter your user ID, browse the appropriate level and order your award. I received my most recent safe driving award 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive my certificate at a PCM; in fact, I saw the box this morning, sitting on a shelf, and have decided I am going to wait until they notice it and will not say anything. BTW, the anniversary date was Apr 16.

Last edited:

brownrodster

That's pretty cold that your boxes come in and they do not even take the time to give them to you.

Ours are given out at PCM. However they usually do a bunch at a time. So I guess maybe they save them up and let them sit on the shelf for a little while.

The big ones like 30 or 35 usually get a little extra recognition. But 25 doesn't get any special notice.

raceanoncr

harley your choice what you do with it. But don't you think its like throwing your paycheck in the garbage? You earned the award you should cash it in.

Have to go again with Tie on this one (Yes, it really DOES scare me I'm agreeing with him so much).

Over the yrs, I've gotten some stuff that has come in pretty handy. Did I pay for it? NO. Billfolds, log book covers, rings and jewelry for the wife, binocs, cameras, drill press, saber saw, TVs, etc. For one TV, don't remember if it was for service or driving, it was 27 inch (ok, not that bigga deal now, but it was a free extra TV) and was delivered to the house VIA Yellow Frieght. Do you know how much it costs for inside frieght delivery? I didn't pay for any of it.

Well, now, yes, the road to that award was pretty rocky, in that I faced the same complacency in the office that most of you have faced. But, I have had some good runs that allowed me to be alone in the office on Sats or other times and spot my "package" and, on the appropriate day, walk out with it minus the "fanfare" (sarcasm intended).

On a side note, we've got guys/gals here that take a hard-nosed approach to accepting that stuff too and make a big production in front of managment. Then, they go home, get on-line and order their stuff! I tell em, "Boy, you sure taught them a lesson, didn't you?".

Got my 30 Service and 30 Safe Driving coming up here in few months. Ain't gonna turn down products that are offered but also want to make it clear I don't want no "sideshow" in the office that day when you've tried to fire me, take away our runs, tried to cut every part of a run we've had and on and on. Jus gimme the stuff I've earned (and saved you money on, by the way) and let me move on.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
do they give awards to youfor safe work years, not group awards, i'm talking for the individual who has no lost time for ex; 5 10 15 20 ... yrs injury free!!!! iv'e got 20 yrs without an injury but never a reward, i know going home in 1 piece with a check,thats my reward!!! also wasn't too happy being told by a 26yr old baby face kid [sup] i was a hazard cuz i couldn't recite the 8 keys lol

rod

Retired 22 years
My old center once gave the drivers a pair of work boots if you had perfect attendance for a year. That lasted 1 year:happy2:

HazMatMan

do they give awards to youfor safe work years, not group awards, i'm talking for the individual who has no lost time for ex; 5 10 15 20 ... yrs injury free!!!! iv'e got 20 yrs without an injury but never a reward, i know going home in 1 piece with a check,thats my reward!!! also wasn't too happy being told by a 26yr old baby face kid [sup] i was a hazard cuz i couldn't recite the 8 keys lol
Tell em Cove. We were working without the 8 keys when that baby faced sup was pooping in his diapers. One Key I would not mind working with at all is Alicia Keys, lol...

Channahon

Since the awards for service and safety were outsourced a few years ago, the program is insulting to any UPS employee who attains service and safety milestones.

When I achieved 20 years, one of my award selections was a "leather like briefcase" of which I told HR was insulting and she agreed. As a matter of fact, I told my husband to pick something out for himself instead.

You are notified of selecting a gift, after reaching your anniversary date. Like how many long term UPSer's leave unexpectedly before their anniversary date. Minimal I would guess.

And Founders Day has been used to do group recognition for service milestones, but should someone wait until August to be recognized? This was really a pet peeve of mine as a Management person.

There is no reason any management person should not recognize an employee on their anniversary date. Heavens knows seniority is everything at UPS and that date is not secret to anyone.

I use to keep a list of employee birthdays and anniversary dates on my calendar and would either call the person or send an email, if I was on vacation the week of their special day.

Situations like this are totally inexcusable, there is no other way to describe my feelings.

By the way Dawg - Congrats on your25 years

Tony31yrs

Congratulations, someone might as well give it to you. When I had 30 years I got mentioned at a big morning meeting with other drivers who reached milestones during that quarter. I also got my plaque which is sitting in my workshop until I find a use for the wooden part of it. My gift was sent to me. On my last day, they congratulated me at the pcm mainly because a friend mentioned it. No cake as they used to give you. No jacket or shirt or hat. At the end of the day, I said goodbye to some friends that were there and that was it. Goodbye and bring in some fresh meat for the grinder.
I could have gone another 2 months to get 25 years safe driving, but the gifts were the same as for 30 years and the 25 year dinner was almost 3 hours away. I didn't want the stupid camel colored circle of honor jacket that you can't wear anywhere besides the dinner.
Oh, and by the way, 6 months after I retired, my UPS driver delivered a package that contained a model T UPS package car on a base that said "congratulations on your 30 years of service." Someone later told me they had it sitting in the office and didn't realize it. Not bad, only a year late. This is why their slogan isn't "UPS-a people company."

Dutch Dawg

Management can create all the memos, edicts, and talk they want regarding cohesiveness amongst employees. But when it comes to walking the walk, they invariably fall a step or two behind, the result of their melancholic indifference.

Thanks to all for the accolades, now honestly please stop.

My intentions when making this post was hope that perhaps someone that is somebody might see this and realize " Hey maybe examples like this reveal why we don't score as well as we'd like when we look at the annual forced ERI results. Maybe it's not because we've been infiltrated by malcontents after all. Maybe if we treat our employees with respect or acknowdgement, we could actually have them think of our system of management in a flattering way.' But deep down inside I think I know better.......